Pinpointer Suggestions

OkieDirtDigger

Howdy folks!
I have a particularly special situation that maybe someone can shed some light on. MY trouble is that due to some really poor hearing issues, I can barely hear (often not at all) the pinpointer I'm using.

Currently, since I'm just getting back into MD'ing, I'm using the cheapy unit from Harbor Freight that some other folks use... and I don't want to spend any large $$ for something that I'll have the exact same problem with.

What say ye other folks that are hard of hearing? (Huh, what'd ya say? :laughing: )

Is there a pinpointer out there somewhere that can be used with headphones -or- something with really good volume?

Thanks for your help,
ODD

BTW, I'm actually a David and normally go by either "Dave" or "Doc". (Confused yet?)

Edit: I just found the thread for the switch/vibrator mod to the HF pointer... but I'll leave the discussion open on something that can be used with headphones. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm not opposed to spending the $$ eventually, but need to find one that I can actually lay hands on first. Just need to convince myself that I can make use of it -and- that it's worth that kind of money.

BTW, do y'all have a store front business or 'net only? You folks are only a couple of hours away from where I'm at.

Appreciate the suggestion and link.

ODD

I have a Whites TRX and that is my only complaint with it. If there is any noise or the wind is blowing I can't hear it. Everything is adjustable on it but the volume. I don't like to use it in the vibration mode. When it is in the hole the little speaker is facing away from you.

I sometimes have problems hearing things so I just go by vibration. I had a Harbor Freight pinpointer and never had any problems with it. I got bored one winter and replaced the switch and changed the speaker to vibration with a small motor. I used it until I finally broke down and bought a Garrett pinpointer.

I HAVE THE WHITE'S TRX AND HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH IT. A FEW TIMES IN HIGH WIND OR TRAFFIC AND CONSTRUCTION NOISE i HAVE HAD TO USE THE VIBRATE MODE. IT TAKES SOME GETTING USED TO.

On your HF PP, you can replace the buzzer with a vibrating motor out of an old cell phone. I've never done it but there are instructions on the internet.
Marvin
Search this on Google.
vibrating harbor freight pin pointer

I use the Garrett AT (orange carrot) on vibration only setting and I think it's great. There are three power settings and the vibrate/audio choice setting. Plus, you can retune it over a target to help in location within a hole. The only downside to vibrate only, if there is one, is if you set it down on the ground while recovering a target on vibrate only, you can't tell it is vibrating when out of your hand of course, and sometimes I set it down over other metal and it vibrates away, running down my battery, until I touch it again and figure out what I've done.
Beer caps and pull tabs are everywhere :(

I modified a harbor freight. Added a vibration motor and a toggle for sound or vibrate. Took out the led and put the toggle there. Work's great. I'm giving it to a coworker this week who is starting out. I bought a land or sea pi last year. I use it in vibrate mode all the time. Really like it.

I personally use the Garrett Carrot but I'd have to say the Deteknix Xpointer I carried had the most pronounced vibrating mode, out of the lot.

I personally use the Garrett Carrot but I'd have to say the Deteknix Xpointer I carried had the most pronounced vibrating mode, out of the lot.

My X-Pointer pleases my ears best of any pointer I've owned. The black Garretts is about as good in volume.

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT Pinpointer/ Garrett Pro Pointer II

Howdy folks!
I have a particularly special situation that maybe someone can shed some light on. MY trouble is that due to some really poor hearing issues, I can barely hear (often not at all) the pinpointer I'm using.

Currently, since I'm just getting back into MD'ing, I'm using the cheapy unit from Harbor Freight that some other folks use... and I don't want to spend any large $$ for something that I'll have the exact same problem with.

What say ye other folks that are hard of hearing? (Huh, what'd ya say? :laughing: )

Is there a pinpointer out there somewhere that can be used with headphones -or- something with really good volume?

Thanks for your help,
ODD

BTW, I'm actually a David and normally go by either "Dave" or "Doc". (Confused yet?)

Edit: I just found the thread for the switch/vibrator mod to the HF pointer... but I'll leave the discussion open on something that can be used with headphones. Thanks.

Go with the Proportional Audio / Vibration Pulse Rate Indicators
Need any help give me a call
dennis
thanks

Back
Top Bottom