New Tesoro Tejon or used Whites MXT?

Waveoff

Elite Member
I'm in the market for another detector with more user flexibility after having a blast with my 8" Compadre. I have been researching quite a bit and had my sights set on a new Tejon. Before pulling the trigger, I decided to check Craigslist for the heck of it. Someone is selling a Whites MXT for $450 which grabbed my attention. I've seen some favorable reviews on the MXT as well. Including a guy on YouTube who swears by Tesoro's but has an MXT in his arsenal and loves it as well.

If you all could give me some advice I would appreciate it. A lot of the stuff I'm wanting to dig is pretty deep. The Compadre is only getting maybe 5-6" on coins in my soil and I just know there has to be some other stuff deeper around here. With that said, there's also an 8" Compadre for $85 on Craigslist. I'm definitely going to snag that! You can never have too many Compadre's lol

Seems high for a MXT...... iv'e seen MXT's sell on ebay for under $350,

what type of hunting are you planning doing the most ?

There both great machines as both have there bad /good points

I'm going to be mostly searching around old homes with my focus on a coal mining ghost town near me. I've been finding some old mining relics and coins around the old coal miners' houses that are still standing in the area. I would like to find more of the same. I know there has to be stuff buried deeper than my Compadre will go. I may take an occasional trip to the beach to search for stuff as well.

Mining camps and old ghost towns are usually littered with old disagreed iron like square nails, flat tin etc. It is really hard to beat the performance of a good Tesoro with a 5.75 concentric coil in these types of places. I would opt for the Tejon, Vaquero or Mojave for these places over the MXT. They hunt in extreme iron trash much better than the MXT. The MXT though in my opinion is better in modern trash though. I still own all of them because I enjoy using different machines and just can't seem to part with any of them. Good luck in your decision you can't go wrong with either.

XP Deus, CTX3030, CZ6a, CZ5, Nokta Relic, F75ltd, MXT all Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Tejon, Vaquero, Bandido2 Micromax and Compadres x2, AT Gold.

Well, for a better price, the MXT. Most users on craiglist are trying for as much of their money back, in my experience. My MX5 was that much new..

The more I look, the lower I see MXT's selling for. I'm also seeing used Etrac's going for not much more than a new Tejon the more I look for detector deals. Hmmmm...

i have an mxt and a vaquero

I have had the mxt for 4 years and the vaquero for atleast 100 hours now. after using the mxt for so long the vaquero is impressing me less and less. the depth on the 2 units is very close. the pinpoint on my mxt blows away my vaquero. the mxt screams when directly over the target. the vaq is one plain tone over the whole coil. I dig bigger holes with the vaq and way more trash. don't know what the tejon is like but if its like my vaq I would say pass. anyone can say what they want about my thoughts these are my honest opinions of the 2 machines I have and its not easy to admit after dropping 440 bucks on the vaquero 4 months ago. good luck either way. take care

I have had the mxt for 4 years and the vaquero for atleast 100 hours now. after using the mxt for so long the vaquero is impressing me less and less. the depth on the 2 units is very close. the pinpoint on my mxt blows away my vaquero. the mxt screams when directly over the target. the vaq is one plain tone over the whole coil. I dig bigger holes with the vaq and way more trash. don't know what the tejon is like but if its like my vaq I would say pass. anyone can say what they want about my thoughts these are my honest opinions of the 2 machines I have and its not easy to admit after dropping 440 bucks on the vaquero 4 months ago. good luck either way. take care

Yeah Tesoro is ok but screen machines are way easier to decide what to dig.

I'm glad you posted your experience because I had started eyeing up the vaquero. I just joined my local metal detecting club and will see if some of the other members will demo their machines to me and help me decide what might be worth spending my money on. Plus some of those more experienced guys can tell me what works best in my particular soil around here. I appreciate everyone's input thus far and am open to more opinions/advice.

One advantage of the MXT is the plethora of available coils for it. Basically, the whole Eclipse line of coils can be used on the MXT. This includes some really large coils, which will help you detect deeper objects.

You won't be disappointed since you already have been using the Compadre successfully you should pick up on what the Vaq is telling you in no time. Did you get the high tone or low tone version?

Super tune it and pull some 12 inch quarters! Would love to see some pics.:yes:

I just got a couple of permissions to hunt some mid-1800's properties. I hope to find some more goodies! However, most of my silver has been found in my very own yard lately. My house was built around 1952. I'm also hoping to find some older coins and relics that might be hiding a little deeper back at the two turn of the century homes I like to hunt. One gave up an 1894 quarter, a few early wheats and some mining relics. The other has given me three V nickels, a few early wheats and a war nickel. I have a good feeling I'm going to find some more cool stuff and I will be sure to post up my finds. The Vaquero should arrive by Monday the 17th!

Back
Top Bottom