New from S.E. Kansas

KiowaRd

Forum Supporter
I ordered a Garrett Ace 300 Friday and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow (Monday) I'm all excited and can't wait to try it out. Not my first detector, I got a White 6000D back in the early eighties and had a lot of fun with it but haven't used it since.

I live out in the country, grew up around here so know a lot of folks. I spent some time today going around and getting permission to hunt some of the old sites that have either long abandoned houses on them or just some cement work where at one time there was a house.

But the most exciting place I'm going to hunt is where the one room school house my mother attended back in the 30's stood. All that's there now is the cement from the front steps. Can't wait to hit it.

Got to love those old schools. There used to be one every couple of miles so the kids didn't have to walk much more than a mile. I hunted one many years ago and dug seven Indian head pennies from one hole. Found a seated liberty dime at another. I know anything I find at mothers old school will be dear to me.

I once hunted an old park in a small town near me. It had been hunted many times by lots of folks so didn't expect much. I parked in the area behind the band stand, pulled my detector out of the trunk, turned it on and started to ground balance it right there in the road and it beeped at me. I just scraped off some dirt and found a seated liberty dime right there. Everyone that ever parked there had walked over it.....

Welcome from West Virginia!!!! Sounds like you're on the right track and have some really nice locations to check. Good Luck!!!!:hat3:

Welcome from Wichita. If you are ever in the area look me up and maybe we can get in a hunt together. i have a Whites 6000D but it's dead. Probably be cheaper to find another one than get it fixed.

Welcome to the forum.
I grew up in Pittsburg in the 50's and 60's. there are some GREAT areas to hunt in Crawford and Cherokee counties. The trees around the train ride and the "tubs" in Lincoln Park comes to mind. They were installed in 1952. Try the sports field just west of the park. There use to be bleachers over dirt on the north end. I hope to get back home next spring to visit kin and hunt. If I do, I'll look you up to talk places.
Good hunting!

Neat, good to hear from another SE KS native. I'm in the center of Neosho County. Lots of old schools, ball fields and other places to hunt. I'm heading to the old rodeo grounds in Erie after lunch.
Be sure and hollar when you get this way.

Back
Top Bottom