Good introductory detector?

caninkan

My son and I are getting into detecting as a way of spending more time together outdoors and because it looks like a lot of fun. You can thank NuggetNoggin's videos on YouTube for that. I'm looking at buying our first detector. I'm working on a pretty small budget because I don't want to shell out a ton of money on a new hobby and because I'm a single, full-time dad so money's always tight.

I found a barely used/almost new Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 with the Garrett headphones for $75. I know it's an older model, but would it make a decent detector for my son and I to break into the hobby with?

Thanks.

Depends

Were are you located, soil conditions , gold country, by the beach, a variety of detector's are available, but to answer your ?, were you will be doing most of your detecting, is a major issue for choosing the wright detector, Earl

Were are you located, soil conditions , gold country, by the beach, a variety of detector's are available, but to answer your ?, were you will be doing most of your detecting, is a major issue for choosing the wright detector, Earl

I live in Missouri so most of our detecting will (hopefully) be on old homesteads, forested areas, parks and creek/riverbeds.

I had a GTA1000 when they came out. It was a good detector. I remember finding dimes at 8". If I remember correctly, there is a feature to blank out the first inch of soil to avoid digging near surface trash. Enjoy that good machine.

OK

Very seldom i recommend a Garrett ATpro, however when you told me Creeks and river beds here is the run down, Atpro, the new Equinox 600 and 800, but such high demand it could be a few months before you get your hands on one , CTX3030 all water proof to 10 foot, however you will need the waterproof head phones for all those machines, and follow the waterproof instructions , Phil my sponsor in Florida carries Garrett , and Minelab, happy hunting, Earl http://www.myersdepot.com

My son and I are getting into detecting as a way of spending more time together outdoors and because it looks like a lot of fun. You can thank NuggetNoggin's videos on YouTube for that. I'm looking at buying our first detector. I'm working on a pretty small budget because I don't want to shell out a ton of money on a new hobby and because I'm a single, full-time dad so money's always tight.

I found a barely used/almost new Garrett Ultra GTA 1000 with the Garrett headphones for $75. I know it's an older model, but would it make a decent detector for my son and I to break into the hobby with?

Thanks.
The GTA was a good machine back in its day. Much better options now but for $75 if it works it will get your feet wet. Grab a good pin pointer and get to it.

You have lots of options really. Feel free to give me a ring and I can go over them with you. Be glad to help!

I have never used one of those, but I do remember them - the guys that had them liked them. The best advice I read above is to get a GOOD pin pointer to use with it. I spent a couple of decades without one and now wonder how I could possibly go back to working without it! Seriously, if he wants to detect, get him a pin pointer to go with it. It's maybe $130 more, make a good birthday/Valentines day/Presidents day/whatever day present. Check the Sponsors of this site. They will do you right. Do NOT get a Harbor Freight one, OK? Believe me, I know whereof I speak. And tell him to spend some time looking at youtube videos on metal detecting. Fun and educational, too.

$75 is nearly half-way to a new Tesoro Compadre ($160). Don't throw good money down the drain, spend a bit more and get something with a warranty, and something with the best warranty in the industry (Lifetime).

Use the search function here, you'll find little to no complaints on the Compadre. Save money on a hand held pinpointer, use your detector to get good at pinpointing, and be sure it's a hobby you want to stick with before investing money in it.

I've had the Compadre and the GTA1000. The GTA is a deeper machine with more features. Learn it and you will do well with it.

Back
Top Bottom