$3.99, a wheatie, a black widow and an M-2000

TriadHunter

Elite Member
I did some Google Maps searching in our area and found this circle in an old (early to mid 1900's) well-to-do part of town. I figured it would be a good spot for my son and I to spend a couple hours searching together. We were running the 400 and the MAX as usual.

Like many of you who hunt regularly, you just develop an "eye" for things on the ground as a detectorist. And today was no exception and perhaps another reason to wear gloves. Right next to my plug was this nasty female Black Widow. Had I not been looking, I would have placed my gloved hand right on top of her (she probably could not bite through my glove). Studies show that Black Widows rarely bite unless they are pressed or about to be smashed. Even then they often "dry bite." So I am not really afraid of them - but I do respect them. I know a couple people who have gotten very sick from a BW bite. Anyway, I took her out of the circle and smashed her by the curb. I rarely kill bugs, snakes or animals unless there's a potential for them to hurt a person later and they're known to be poisonous or venomous (or both).

Next ground find was a fused M2000. Sweet! These work well when a dog is barking in the distance. Hopefully it is still live.

The MAX once again demonstrated its small coin prowess, nabbing 10 of 14 total dimes for the day.

My son snagged the only "old" coin of the day with his 400, a 1950-D wheatie. He was pretty excited about it. If he's excited I'm excited.

Anyone know what that weird metal toothbrush-looking thing is?

I normally would not post a hunt like this as it's fairly regular stuff, but I thought the Black Widow and M-2000 were interesting. HH all!

Attachments

• todays hunt.jpg
    todays hunt.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_20171104_120006.jpg
    IMG_20171104_120006.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20171104_120051_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171104_120051_edit.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20171104_122100_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171104_122100_edit.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20171104_122402.jpg
    IMG_20171104_122402.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20171104_094721_edit.jpg
    IMG_20171104_094721_edit.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 214
Looks like you had some fun and rid the world of a poisonous spider. Good job!
The metal object I think is a glass cutter tool.

Looks like you had some fun and rid the world of a poisonous spider. Good job!
The metal object I think is a glass cutter tool.

Thank you. Now that I think about it, I should have put the spider on the M-2000 and set it off! LOL. j/k

Good call on that tool! It has a little wheel on the end; probably for scoring glass I take it?

Oh man I cant imagine seeing a black widow! Im not scared of anything really besides heights... But one thing I do NOT like is spiders :laughing: nice hunt! Congrats!

Thank you. Now that I think about it, I should have put the spider on the M-2000 and set it off! LOL. j/k

Good call on that tool! It has a little wheel on the end; probably for scoring glass I take it?

Hey that's a diamond find right? I mean they at least used to have diamond dust on the wheel

That’s a cool hunt Triad, neat looking circle and you guys got a lot out of there, that’s cool. I think I killed 20 or so black widows around my house year before last, think the drought brought them out for some reason I don’t know, never seen that many before, only killed two this year, or was it 4, I dunno too many. I always wear gloves, always!

Also on the glass cutter, you’lol notice the gaps are different sizes. This is so when you score the glass the gaps fit on different thickness of glass to put pressure on the score.

At least black widows kind of stand out. I am more concerned about the rather drab looking brown recluse. Ran into one of those in NW Georgia. The thought of necrotoxin that just doesn't sit well with me.

I was never concerned about spiders until I saw a documentary about the brown recluse. I scrutinize every spider I see now.

Thanks for this interesting story and picture of the black widow spider. Good on your son for finding the wheatie.

Back
Top Bottom