01-24-2015 snow!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
No it isn't a big snow (1/2 inch maybe) but it's 29 degrees out! Weatherman says the temps will peak at 47 to low 50's today! I don't expect it but there is a glimmer of hope as I see some pink sky (a good sign that we'll get sunshine sometime today). But even if it does hit the mid 40's or higher the ground is still going to be rock hard because it rained most of the day yesterday! :mad: So I guess I probably won't be metal detecting today! The roads appear to be clear but that won't do me much good if when I get where I wanted to go the ground is rock solid! I don't have an axe! :p Not worth it for clad! :laughing: Not a happy camper here! I knew we'd get some sooner or later! :roll:

Thanks for looking! GL & HH! (To those who can)!

Attachments

• Snow 2015 - 1.JPG
    Snow 2015 - 1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Snow 2015 - 2.JPG
    Snow 2015 - 2.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Snow 2015 - 3.JPG
    Snow 2015 - 3.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Snow 2015 - 4.JPG
    Snow 2015 - 4.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 103
It needs to be a lot colder than 29 degrees to freeze the ground unless you had a lot of days below freezing. You may have a little crust but even that snow acts as a blanket so you may be able to get an afternoon hunt in.

It needs to be a lot colder than 29 degrees to freeze the ground unless you had a lot of days below freezing. You may have a little crust but even that snow acts as a blanket so you may be able to get an afternoon hunt in.

Okay! I just might try it! The sun is up and beating -- snow will be vanishing by or before noon from the looks of it! Thank you!

Okay! I just might try it! The sun is up and beating -- snow will be vanishing by or before noon from the looks of it! Thank you!

i'd say go for it! :yes: even if you do have that thin crust, it can actually help in keeping your plugs a bit neater, they hold together much better than soft soil and they fit right back into the ground like a jigsaw puzzle. ;)
areas with longer grass are usually easier to dig than really short grass since the grass itself will act as an insulator.
i'll do a "test" dig out in the back yard where the grass is the shortest and try to stick my knife into the ground. if i can penetrate the ground fairly easily with one hand and not have to break my wrist doing it, then i know the digging should be ok. :D
you may find it bit messy/sloppy with that melting snow though.
good luck if you get out there.

It looks just like that at my farm this morning in Cannon County! Doesn't matter! Long Johns are coming out of the drawer and I'm heading out! I've got a Civil War Era school house to hit!

BTW, You've got Nebraska and Canada calling you out Tennessee! I know if it was a weekday all the schools would be closed and the weathermen would be warning us to stay indoors and away from the polar vortex! As it is they're calling a 'state of emergency', and the Preppers have their kids on sentry duty but common! Get out there!

Weatherman says a couple inches of the heavy wet stuff coming tonight...good times!

On the bright side, by this time last year we had over 3 foot of snow more than this year.

Just saying!

Back
Top Bottom