Another awesome hunt! Gold, Silver and Diamonds plus some money.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Sometimes, a good hunt comes along and just puts you in a ear-to-ear grin.

This was that day for me. It's been a while since I've doubled up on gold and silver!

I went to a high school I typically do well at (it's got HUGE fields, that I've never fully gridded... I just keep working them, and find old stuff deep, usually).

Started the hunt with a Penny, Nickel, Quarter and then a 41-42 signal, that I dug up. It was shallow, and I was fully expecting a folded gum wrapper (it had that nice solid signal that isn't wimpy foil). Nope! A nice little ring popped up. I could NOT, for the life of me, see any markings on that thing in the dark with my brilliant light headlamp. I figured it was gold, but I just couldn't tell. It had some density to it, but even then, it was small and lightweight. At home, though, I was able to find a 14K stamp in the loupe (my kid saw it first, right away... I even had to SEARCH for it with a loupe... I'm now thinking it's my eyes, not the darkness or lighting. LOL) Managed to catch it in a zoomed in photo for you all.
I confirmed it's 14K with acid testing, too. Weighed in at exactly 14 grams, and the little diamond chips embedded in it a real, too. (which will add a full $0.85 to the price I'm sure).

The next hour (total hunt time was 90 minutes) was filled with LOTS of quarters. Another 20 of them to be exact. plenty of dimes and nickels too. In the last 20 minutes I was there, I came across a deep 87 signal. I figured it was a stack of two quarters, so I didn't catch it on video. The silver ring was embedded in the plug when I flipped it up. Fun!

The last ring was just a junker (62 signal), but was a nice way to end the hunt on the way out (literally second to last object of the day... I grabbed another dime after that).

Pulled $6.17 a gold and diamond ring, and a silver ring in 90 minutes. I wish EVERY 90 minutes was like that. :)

These were rings #163, 164, and 165 for the year.

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• IMG_3688.jpg
    IMG_3688.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 171
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 171
  • FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 174
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 173
  • FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 173
Now That was a profitable 90 minutes there Skip! Congratulations on another fine haul in the dirt and dark! Re eyesight on those tiny markings......luckily, you dont need it to hunt!:laughing:

Big Congrats on the gold and silver rings! I'm smiling right along with you! I'm really impressed that you have a diamond tester.

beephead

Big Congrats on the gold and silver rings! I'm smiling right along with you! I'm really impressed that you have a diamond tester.

beephead

They're actually pretty cheap. Less than $14 at Amazon.

You can outfit yourself pretty well with clad. :)

Prices below are from Amazon. They can be had cheaper from EBay

$13.99 - diamond tester
$14.38 - Gold/Silver/Platinum Test kit (10k, 14k, 18k, 22k)
$28.87 - Steel ring mandrel (for ring repairs/upsizing rings)
$7.86 - Jeweler Hammer (for ring repairs/up-sizing rings)
$11.99 - Digital scale to .01 grams.

The above kit is my "go-to" for pretty much everything I need on my finds. I purchased each one separately about 2-3 months apart. Wish I'd had a list of what I should get at the onset. 100% paid for with clad finds. Self-funding hobbies are the best!

Cheers,

Skippy

Now That was a profitable 90 minutes there Skip! Congratulations on another fine haul in the dirt and dark! Re eyesight on those tiny markings......luckily, you dont need it to hunt!:laughing:

It was. I've been doing pretty well this fall. My hunt style changes in November, and I usually get a bit of a boost.

All summer, I hunt hot spots for fresh drops (and I usually do pretty well, then, too). As things drop off at the end of the summer, I switch to soccer field lines (I pulled 3 gold rings in September), and then I switch to elementary schools for October (and spend about 10 days hunting... as in with a rifle... which kills the finds a bit, but fills the freezer), and then in November...

I go to the high schools and big parks and start the slow grid of large fields. It can be grueling boredom, as the finds/digs can be 20-30 feet apart, but the actual trash to good finds ratio isn't too bad... and my arm strength really gets taxed! I usually find old stuff (as indicated by depth). Eventually I'm going to run out of fields to do this in, but I have about 4-5 more years, I think. I typically pull a few golds out of it between now and the end of the year. When the snow comes, I switch to tot-lots and a shovel. :)

What's your game plan? I see you doing stadium hunting a bit more, lately...

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom