Micro photography with a cell phone

Nice!

This is about as close as I can get with my iPhone 6+

1937-merc-iphone6-2.jpg

That's not too bad for a stock lens on a phone.

My Galaxy Note 2 can get some amazing close ups without any adaptors....

Thats cool though!

If you get a chance and don't mind, take a closeup of the mint mark and date on a dime as close as you can and upload on this thread. I've been told the Notes have great cameras and I'd like to see a comparison.

In my last photo with macro lens and 4X zoom, I think it would be very clear if I wasn't holding the phone in my hand. I don't have a real steady hand. I'm gonna try some experimenting with that.

That's not too bad for a stock lens on a phone.

If you get a chance and don't mind, take a closeup of the mint mark and date on a dime as close as you can and upload on this thread. I've been told the Notes have great cameras and I'd like to see a comparison.

Ok, I have to pick my son up from school at 4:15, when I get back in about 20 minutes I definitely will post a pic for you :)

That is pretty impressive. I've heard they were good. Wonder what this macro lens would do with that.

I'm going to experiment with some different stuff. Started with dimes because that's what I have the hardest time seeing.

That is pretty impressive. I've heard they were good. Wonder what this macro lens would do with that.

I'm going to experiment with some different stuff. Started with dimes because that's what I have the hardest time seeing.

Right, I bet a lense would have you seeing every imperfection there is on that coin...lol

This is a very valuable violin bow that I took several photos of, with my iPhone 4s with and without magnification. I used my zeiss stereo microscope for this.
It really helps when diagnosing issues with the wood and potential repair problems.

CLOSE

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 166
I asked about zooming and cropping because it's a digital zoom on camera phones and will degrade image quality as opposed to optical zoom. So when I see the coin in full frame, I was asking if the camera can get that close and maintain focus. Can't quite get there with the 5s.

I am currently on the iPhone 5s. I typically wait two years between upgrades because that's about the time the camera improvements are enough for me to justify it.

Here is a dime where I zoomed in with the phone before taking the picture. I can see the loss of resolution because of digital zoom.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpg
    IMG_3657.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_3658.jpg
    IMG_3658.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 214
I asked about zooming and cropping because it's a digital zoom on camera phones and will degrade image quality as opposed to optical zoom. So when I see the coin in full frame, I was asking if the camera can get that close and maintain focus. Can't quite get there with the 5s.

I am currently on the iPhone 5s. I typically wait two years between upgrades because that's about the time the camera improvements are enough for me to justify it.

Here is a dime where I zoomed in with the phone before taking the picture. I can see the loss of resolution because of digital zoom.

You are absolutely correct about the digital zoom. That is why I originally posted the pics with zoom and without zoom. Digital zoom has it's place but it isn't for high quality pictures.

papagharley as long as you dont print them it should be okey for web. most phone cam now has above 2.0MP it maybe a bit grainy for viewing fully zoom. just put ur subject in good light and take a picture.

I just took this picture to sample the camera zoom vs cropping and enlarging on photoshop CS5.1. The picture on the left is with 4x camera zoom and the picture on the right has no zoom when I took the picture. I then opened the pictures on PS and cropped the right pic to frame about the same as the left and enlarged it to approximately the same size. It should be noted that I did not make any attempt to change lighting or anything. Just point and shoot then zoom point and shoot.

picture.php
[/IMG]

That's a good comparison there Digger. Cropping and enlarging with Photoshop gave a better image in this case.

As Stingray said, good lighting is paramount to image quality, even more so with small sensor cameras. I've still got screw on +7 and +10 diopters for an older camera that I did a lot of macro photography with. May have to dig those out and see if I can get them working with my iPhone.

Papa

Did you use any zoom or crop them afterwards?

No zoom. I did crop them as close to my standard 800 wide as I could get then resized to 800. It didn't change the image mush since it started out at 3264 x 2448 as the stock picture. Far too large to use.

No zoom. I did crop them as close to my standard 800 wide as I could get then resized to 800. It didn't change the image mush since it started out at 3264 x 2448 as the stock picture. Far too large to use.

Thanks, Detector. If you haven't already, get the app called Camera+. I think you'll like it. For video, I use Filmic Pro. Filmic Pro lets you record at a higher data rate at the expense of memory space and battery life, but really makes the video look much better due to fewer compression artifacts.

Papa

Back
Top Bottom