Found Buried Treasure in the Ground - I Am A RICH Man !!

Hacksaw-BoB

Forum Supporter
WHOA !!! Check it out !!

In the 1960-70s in San Diego, CA I was an avid metal detector hobbyist !! I am still semi-active but cannot wait
to introduce my grandkids to this wonderful hobby.

I cannot recall the number of coins and jewelry found over the years but has exceeded many thousand !!
I still have numerous coin books filled with special coins found like the silver ones !!

I also saved the coins that met their fate at the blade of the park lawn mower in a container as well . . . .
over 100 of them. Here are photos of my found buried treasures !! You can see the chopped up or nicked
silver coins as well as the wheatback cents. I was thinking about making a collage of them in a picture frame . . .
or should I just try to cash them in at the local bar during Happy Hour ? ? ? Please advise ? ? ?

Attachments

• LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-01.jpg
    LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-01.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,179
  • LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-03.jpg
    LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-03.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,159
  • LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-05.jpg
    LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-05.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-08.jpg
    LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-08.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1,128
  • LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-09.jpg
    LAWN MOWER COINS 1960-70s-09.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 1,120
WHOA !!! Check it out !!

In the 1960-70s in San Diego, CA I was an avid metal detector hobbyist !! I am still semi-active but cannot wait
to introduce my grandkids to this wonderful hobby.

I cannot recall the number of coins and jewelry found over the years but has exceeded many thousand !!
I still have numerous coin books filled with special coins found like the silver ones !!

I also saved the coins that met their fate at the blade of the park lawn mower in a container as well . . . .
over 100 of them. Here are photos of my found buried treasures !! You can see the chopped up or nicked
silver coins as well as the wheatback cents. I was thinking about making a collage of them in a picture frame . . .
or should I just try to cash them in at the local bar during Happy Hour ? ? ? Please advise ? ? ?

I'd say it's "Beer Thirty"!!!

I'm for making it an sculptural art exhibit and calling it "Lawnmower vs. Coin".

Yep you have eneough to do something artsy with them. Id try to design someting and hang it.

I'm definitely in favor of that neat collage idea! I'd enjoy seeing pics of the completed work, if you decide to go that route. :yes: Are those all coins, or are there a few tokens in there?

REALLY cool finds! Welcome back! I have a theory why there's SO many more mower clipped coins out West VS. back East. Out West you are mowing the grass year round, out East due to winter, we aren't mowing the grass for like 4 months out of the year.... We find a few out here, but the amount posted from out West that have been clipped by a mower us just crazy! I agree, some kind of display would be awesome!

Nice collection, good idea to save them over the years vs just chucking them. Pretty wild to find that many, and clean cuts too as 3.14 said, seems like those landscapers are scalping their grass to cut up that many coins :D Had to google typical San Diego grass to see what firm grass types you guys had vs St. Augustine and Kentucky Blue :D

very Nice collection..

I say a art project would be in order for sure..

on a side note.. You said alot of these were found in the 60's and 70's..
It shows because most of those coins are very readable and NOTHING like the crusty decrepit wheat's I dig around here 50 years later :laughing:

Very Cool! I bet you have some wonderful stories about the Hunts in the 60's and 70's? Silver laying all over the place like a metallic carpet! We'd like to hear about some of your finds from those days too!

Thats a sweet group shot you got there of the mower strikes!

I like the art idea... maybe like a small table top and liquid glass... sounds pretty sweet to me

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Wonder how many met their fate by an old school reel mower? I do know of a guy here who still mows his yard with one. I'm talking st augustine grass we have to mow twice a week!:shock:

Hi claddy . . in regards to your question Any gold coins in the 60s and 70s

I found a couple of gold rings back then . . . and then there was a mens gold ring with 4 small diamonds
in the setting. I was offered a 1920 gold piece in exchange for that ring back in 1972. I took the gold piece
and acquired a gold bezel for it and gave it to my wife who still wears it every so often.

Attachments

• Jewerly-13a.jpg
    Jewerly-13a.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 653
Back
Top Bottom