help identifying these two items

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Went out today to my Civil War site to see if it will still give up finds to me.

1st one was this big screw. Looks old, threads are kind of strange. On the rim of the head it has the Letters U S F and a triangle.

Any idea what this is? Civil War? There is a railroad about 100 yards from where I found it.

the 2nd find was a log with a signal in it. So narrowed it down with the detector and pinpointer. Use my Lesche to pry open slab of wood. At home I used a chisel to pry off more wood to expose the bullet. Looks like buckshot.
The wood was full of hardened sap.

Any Civil War bullet or shot would be that size?

update: the screw spike is modern made by United Steel and Fasteners founded in 1975.

Attachments

• scewwood (1)small.jpg
    scewwood (1)small.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 462
  • scewwood (2)small.jpg
    scewwood (2)small.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 468
  • scewwood (3)small.jpg
    scewwood (3)small.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 549
  • scewwood (4)small.jpg
    scewwood (4)small.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Not ruling it out without better pictures or seeing it in-hand but the bullet does not look like any tree bullets I've found on CW battlefields. The color looks different to me.

That doesn't mean it isn't period, just means it doesn't look like ones I've found.

One problem I've run into in both GA and TN, there's no shortage of modern black powder hunters hunting on same grounds as CW battlefields in some areas.

Nothing worse than digging a modern black powder bullet on a battlefield!

Found this modern black powder pistol bullet exactly where Forrest's calvary dismounted and fought.

The dropped .54 beauty in the 2nd picture is from the Civil War and was about 5 feet away from where the modern round was dug.

Edited to add: but I do hope yours is the real deal! Hopefully someone else will chime in that has more info

eceb791eef94ddf181d2656deb977920.jpg
2c7fbb0fcac9aae25d1ba9e5ac6c4c71.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The 'bolt' looks like it is made for adjusting something due to the square head.
Always hard to tell.

Agree about finding modern bullets that are replicas of old stuff. Also have found 'modern' muzzle loader bullets and even a .58 cal 3-ring hollow base mini without any patina so figured it is a modern drop.

Saturday at the old farm I found half a dozen .22 bullets in wood from an old tree.

I can not tell if the bullet in the piece of wood is old for the photo.

Threads are way too aggressive for an adjustment screw. That was made to hold something to wood. Think lag bolt type attachment.

Back
Top Bottom