Another old spill gives up my oldest Ihp

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
20210517_104355-1.jpg

20210605_115608-1.jpg

View attachment 486103

20210611_185830-1.jpg

View attachment 486105Early in Jan. I had an old ten coin spill with 4 silver a Buff, 3 wheats and 2 Ihps. Well this spill although not as great still gave up silver, a Buff, two wheats and my new oldest Ihp. Thinking about it the Ihp must have been dropped long before the other 17 cents was deposited. Getting out here has been hit & miss due to heat and dry weather. A week or so back I met up with Ryan aka Diabolik for a hunt in one of the city parks. We put alot of miles on that day and had little to show for it. A little bit of clad, Ryan had a couple wheaties and late in the day he hit shiny, I went over to see him with a large grin holding a nice Merc in his hand. This kinda rekindled the fire a little as all I had to show was a Pgh. Railways Token so I pressed on. About 15 minutes later I get a nice melodious 34-36 and not too far down I see a silver quarter, a 43 GW. # 30 fty . We both got shiny and called it a good day. Yard work and domestic chores have been keeping me busy but by last Sat. I thought I would hit a neighbors yard again for at least the tenth time. He had his sidewalk replaced and told me he was having it re-landscaped. A small postage stamp front yard. maybe 20 x 22. I hit it first back in 2016 with the ATPro, stock and again with the 5x8. It gave up 3 Rosies and some 40s & 50s wheats. The Rosie's had all came from just behind the hedges that separated his yard from the street. I went back went I got the Etrac and again with the Equinox with the stock coil. I hit a couple deeper wheaties. This time I decided to use the 6in coil. First coin was a memorial, dug a few rusty nails that sounded pretty good. Then right in the path behind the hedges I get a loud 26-27 and from no more than 3in, down out comes a 60 Rosie. How did I miss that one ? A little later, although the six inch seemed to struggle a little it locked on to what I thought was a deep silver signal turned out to be a 7in 40s something Wheat. Started about 830 and by 10 the heat was enough for me to call it and the fact that I had silver and a wheat from a yard I had pounded in the past I was quite happy with the outcome of a short but productive hunt.
We had rain Thursday and with the itch getting worse by the day I decided to hit an old park Friday morning. I had the coil on the ground before 10am and didn't get back to the truck till almost 6. For me thats a long one. First coin of the day I got a scratchy long high tone I thought for sure was junk and as I finished drawing back I get a nice coin tone, 26-27. I think I gotta dig this, glad I did, a 37 Merc. # 31 fty and a great way to start the day. I think to that point I had only dug 1 or 2 junk targets. I rescan and get the long scratchy high tone, so I dig it and it turned out to be a long curved piece of iron (see junk pic) and it turned out the Merc was lying just off the end of it by a few inches. By the way this was with the Nox 10x5 coil which I have been using exclusively except for the aforementioned yard hunt. Next I pick up a memorial then a wheatie. I had dug a few clad nickels and a few nickel sounding beavertails when a 12-13 but drop to 11 gets my attention. Its been a while since I have dug a Buff. Turns out it was a Buff and in a short span I had 2 more in my pouch. All 12-13 with a drop to 11. A lot of the time that is the telltale of a beavertail. Not this day. Most of my solid 12s &13s were junk. I get a jumpy crazy 26-27 then jumps to a 34 then a 39-40 but it still seemed to have a coin tone in it. I cut a 3-4in. plug and flip the hole a couple times to see a coin pop up, I see silver, wait its a war nickel with a little shiny and a lot of black crustiness. I think no way I got those tones and #s from a war nickel. I rescan and get a 15-16 a couple inches from the edge of the hole. A large piece of foil. Rescan, nothing. I widen the hole to about 12 in. and dig to about 12 in. Nothing. OK a head scratcher but I still happy with the war nickel. The coinspill was a big jumpy bunch of #s that I was thinking probably junk but as I was drawing back off the signal at the end I got a solid 12-13 drop to 11 signal I thought could this be Buff # 4 for the day. Yes indeed, Tatonka reared its head and allthough not sure but thats the most Buffs I've dug in a single hunt. Pinpointer says there more. a 44 wheatie. I say c'mon theres got to be silver in here. Next out I see a small silver reeded edge. I sayin Merc for sure but its a first year Rosie. Pinpointer saying more, out comes another crusty wheatie. Still more in there, I have to pop the sidewall and out comes a nice green one, Whaat ? A 1864 I hp. My oldest Ihp so far and when I looked at it I thought 1864s were fatties and this was definitely not a fattie. After a little research I found both were minted that year. And although all were at around the same depth 5-6 in. its seems the Ihp was an earlier drop. Still an old coin spill, 18 cents with silver, wheats a Buff and my oldest I hp made for a heck of a day. Oh yeah, a little later I get a 26-27 clad dime type of signal and out came a very sweet Star of David pendant. My first sterling of the year. Dug 14 nickels and a little over a buck in clad and have not been able to pound the ground as much as I would like but still happy with the success I have had. Thanks for looking in. Mark

So mods, why are my pics loading sideways ? I tried flipping them in studio and reloading they still loaded sideways. I have changed no settings and they just recently started doing this. Please help.

Attachments

• BMP1 TO JPEG.jpg
    BMP1 TO JPEG.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 169
  • BMPTO JPEG2.jpg
    BMPTO JPEG2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 175
  • BMPTOJPEG3.jpg
    BMPTOJPEG3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Quite the successful day Mark! Congrats on the silver and especially the Buff's they as you know are hard to find.

Steve

An excellent day Mark, sorry I wasn’t on this one. You certainly earned your finds. A lot of digging my friend! These city parks are tough. Layers of modern trash with a base of twisted and rusty iron. Certainly makes for some tough hunting at times. You’ve consistently shown that there are still good finds to be had! Looking forward to getting out with you again. 👍

Holy smokes Mark you wrote a novel! lol. It took me an hour just to read it and another half hour to feast my eyes over all pics of the collective assortment of finds. You must of had your machine set on that special setting of finding buff and war nickels. All kidding aside, well done again on finding those elusive pieces of treasures!

Quite the successful day Mark! Congrats on the silver and especially the Buff's they as you know are hard to find.

Steve

Steve thank you. The buff at one time was my white whale but since hunting with the Equinox I find them pretty often. Good luck, Mark

Well done Mark!

Thank you Erik,definitely one of my better hunts. Hope you have been getting out. Good luck, Mark

Great story and great hunt. That star is sweet. Congrats

TNT thank you sir and as I said the star was my first sterling of the year, hope it starts a trend. Good luck, Mark

An excellent day Mark, sorry I wasn’t on this one. You certainly earned your finds. A lot of digging my friend! These city parks are tough. Layers of modern trash with a base of twisted and rusty iron. Certainly makes for some tough hunting at times. You’ve consistently shown that there are still good finds to be had! Looking forward to getting out with you again. 👍

Thanks lad, definitely a lot of digging and maybe a little luck made for a great hunt. We will have to hit that place soon. There has got to be more there. Take care, Mark

Holy smokes Mark you wrote a novel! lol. It took me an hour just to read it and another half hour to feast my eyes over all pics of the collective assortment of finds. You must of had your machine set on that special setting of finding buff and war nickels. All kidding aside, well done again on finding those elusive pieces of treasures!

Yea John sorry, I tend to be long winded at times Thats the Irish blarney in me.Ha ha. I have been doing well on the war nickels but this last one was a surprise and a head scratcher as well. Usually a solid 12-13. I have bin 2 set for 11-12-13 only vol.25 and pitch around 18. So the nickel signals have a very pronounced tone of their own. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom