Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-12-2021, 04:43 AM
njemt njemt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 116
Default buy an Equinox or wait for the Nokta new SMF

I want to get a simultaneous multi frequency detector and in tossed right now between getting a Equinox 800 or qait for the new Nokta Marko unit that is supposed to be out this year? I've hear the Equinox has some issues but it's a good machine. I've also heard the new Nokta unit is supposed to match if not exceed the Equinox for a lower price. Decisions decisions. Anyone have an opinion?

__________________
If life is a highway, I'm that accident you just can't stop staring at!!!

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 10-12-2021, 05:47 AM
stetam's Avatar
stetam stetam is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Jonestown, PA
Posts: 794
Default

Originally Posted by njemt View post
I want to get a simultaneous multi frequency detector and in tossed right now between getting a Equinox 800 or qait for the new Nokta Marko unit that is supposed to be out this year? I've hear the Equinox has some issues but it's a good machine. I've also heard the new Nokta unit is supposed to match if not exceed the Equinox for a lower price. Decisions decisions. Anyone have an opinion?
First of all the Equinox has no more issues than any other detector. You just hear about people having issues because there are so many out there. And that nonsense about the newest Nokta will be better than the Equinox??

Steve

__________________
Equinox 600, Vanquish 540, Garrett Pro-pointer AT
2021 Silver coins -28, Gold Rings - 2, Silver rings - 13, Large Cents - 3, IHP's - 15, KG's - 4

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #3  
Old 10-12-2021, 07:31 AM
mh9162013 mh9162013 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: KY
Posts: 1,088
Default

If you can wait, wait. If you can't, buy the Equinox.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:36 AM
beamwalker beamwalker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Get both
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 10-12-2021, 08:53 AM
Beachhunt1 Beachhunt1 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 224
Default

Originally Posted by njemt View post
I want to get a simultaneous multi frequency detector and in tossed right now between getting a Equinox 800 or qait for the new Nokta Marko unit that is supposed to be out this year? I've hear the Equinox has some issues but it's a good machine. I've also heard the new Nokta unit is supposed to match if not exceed the Equinox for a lower price. Decisions decisions. Anyone have an opinion?
I think you will get a window with some great deals on used still in warranty 800's and 600's when this machine comes out. Even if a pod replacement is necessary after warranty the price of a Minelab pod at $350 is pretty good customer support.

Don't wait for the rest>>>>> GO WITH THE BEST!
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 10-12-2021, 09:37 AM
jmaclen jmaclen is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 865
Default

The new Nokta Makro detector is very likely to be superior to the Equinox in build quality and in some external features that already produced NM detectors come with presently like retractable shafts, vibration and backlit buttons, etc. For their new SMF detector to have better SMF technology than the Equinox……. I doubt it. They would have to have developed a totally new type of SMF tech to do that. Otherwise they (like Garrett’s Apex) will have to use SMF tech that is based on expired patent forms of SMF that were incorporated into Minelab or Whites detectors up to 20 years ago. Different SMF technology is definitely not created equal. Nokta Makro detectors are known for having excellent target recovery speed and excellent target separation in thick trash. Those were two of the weaknesses of most earlier patented SMF technologies. Minelab’s Equinox Multi IQ technology performs well above average as far as recovery speed and target separation. If however, Nokta Makro uses a variation/expansion of Fishers CZ SMF with higher frequencies….that would be very interesting and it would also be karmic justice for all of us who have been screaming for Fisher to modernize their CZ line. They ignored us!

The new NM SMF will likely be priced lower than the Nox 800 but it will probably be more expensive than the Nox 600. Like someone already said, buy a used 600 now and buy the Nokta Makro SMF when it comes out. Keep the one you like best.

__________________
Minelab GPX 6000, Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, XP Deus, Garrett 24K, Whites MXT, Tek-Point, XP Mi-6


Last edited by jmaclen; 10-12-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 10-12-2021, 10:59 AM
kajunman's Avatar
kajunman kajunman is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: H TOWN TX
Posts: 973
Default

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
The new Nokia Makro detector is very likely to be superior to the Equinox in build quality and in some external features that already produced NM detectors come with presently like retractable shafts, vibration and backlit buttons, etc. For their new SMF detector to have better SMF technology than the Equinox……. I doubt it. They would have to have developed a totally new type of SMF tech to do that. Otherwise they (like Garrett’s Apex) will have to use SMF tech that is based on expired patent forms of SMF that were incorporated into Minelab or Whites detectors up to 20 years ago. Different SMF technology is definitely not created equal. Nokia Makro detectors are known for having excellent target recovery speed and excellent target separation in thick trash. Those were two of the weaknesses of earlier patented SMF technologies. Minelab’s Equinox Multi IQ technology performs well above average as far as recovery speed and target separation.

The new NM SMF will likely be priced lower than the Nox 800 but it will probably be more expensive than the Nox 600. Like someone already said, buy a used 600 now and buy the Nokia Makro SMF when it comes out. Keep the one you like best.
Pure speculation on your part. Rutus now has a multi frequency about to be released with changeable software. https://www.rutus.com.pl/en

Rutus Atrex. This illusion that only Minelab can make a good SMF detector is baffling.

__________________
ACE 350 / F75 SE LTD / Makro Multi Kruzer / Nox 800 /1 F Pulse Pinpointer / 2 Garrett AT Pinpointer / Multiple coils for the 350, Multi Kruzer and F75.

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:24 AM
jmaclen jmaclen is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 865
Default

Originally Posted by kajunman View post
Pure speculation on your part. Rutus now has a multi frequency about to be released with changeable software. https://www.rutus.com.pl/en

Rutus Atrex. This illusion that only Minelab can make a good SMF detector is baffling.
The only speculation is that Nokta Makro can come up with totally new technology. That is not something they have done before. Nokta Makro's sales rep has already stated the rest of my "pure speculation" in her interviews so far.

Rutus on the other hand is well known for their very innovative designs. Too bad Rutus is not marketed here in North America. The Atrex definitely has multifrequency in its beach mode and uses a base frequency with harmonics for some of its other "SMF" Multi Filter tech. I know one of the field testers and he is very impressed and like me, is a long time user of SMF detectors.

I don't ever remember saying or believing that Minelab is the only company that can make a good SMF detector..........

I've have used/owned SMF detectors from Fisher, Whites, Garrett and Minelab. They have all been very site specific and have had places where I simply would not use them. They all did well in saltwater beach situations with lower levels of iron black sand. So far, only the Equinox has proven to me that it can handle most detecting situations that I have run into very well like, saltwater, freshwater, bed of nails in mild moderate and high mineralization, coin and jewelry detecting in all soil conditions and in heavy aluminum/iron trash, micro jewelry and gold prospecting in all soil conditions, etc. If that is the "illusion" that you are referring to, sounds about right but it's real not an illusion. Please note that I stated that the Equinox does very well in those hunting situations. I did not say it was the deepest, fastest, or the best at any of them.

__________________
Minelab GPX 6000, Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, XP Deus, Garrett 24K, Whites MXT, Tek-Point, XP Mi-6

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:42 AM
kajunman's Avatar
kajunman kajunman is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: H TOWN TX
Posts: 973
Default

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
The only speculation is that Nokta Makro can come up with totally new technology. That is not something they have done before. Nokta Makro's sales rep has already stated the rest of my "pure speculation" in her interviews so far.

Rutus on the other hand is well known for their very innovative designs. Too bad Rutus is not marketed here in North America. The Atrex definitely has multifrequency in its beach mode and uses a base frequency with harmonics for some of its other "SMF" Multi Filter tech. I know one of the field testers and he is very impressed and like me, is a long time user of SMF detectors.

I don't ever remember saying or believing that Minelab is the only company that can make a good SMF detector..........

I've have used/owned SMF detectors from Fisher, Whites, Garrett and Minelab. They have all been very site specific and have had places where I simply would not use them. They all did well in saltwater beach situations with lower levels of iron black sand. So far, only the Equinox has proven to me that it can handle most detecting situations that I have run into very well like, saltwater, freshwater, bed of nails in mild moderate and high mineralization, coin and jewelry detecting in all soil conditions and in heavy aluminum/iron trash, micro jewelry and gold prospecting in all soil conditions, etc. If that is the "illusion" that you are referring to, sounds about right but it's real not an illusion. Please note that I stated that the Equinox does very well in those hunting situations. I did not say it was the deepest, fastest, or the best at any of them.
You said you doubted the NM detector would be as good. Fact is, you don't know. You doubting it, is pure speculation. Could be worse, could be better. You just don't know yet.

FYI, Apex detectors on the beach can find micro jewelry as well. Not just the Nox.

__________________
ACE 350 / F75 SE LTD / Makro Multi Kruzer / Nox 800 /1 F Pulse Pinpointer / 2 Garrett AT Pinpointer / Multiple coils for the 350, Multi Kruzer and F75.

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 10-12-2021, 11:49 AM
jmaclen jmaclen is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 865
Default

Originally Posted by kajunman View post
You said you doubted the NM detector would be as good. Fact is, you don't know. You doubting it, is pure speculation. Could be worse, could be better. You just don't know yet.

FYI, Apex detectors on the beach can find micro jewelry as well. Not just the Nox.
I said I doubt it...........didn't say it can't happen. I would be very happy if their SMF tech is better than anything Minelab or any other company has produced.

I will buy their SMF detector no matter what. I am a big Nokta Makro fan and I am an SMF junkie simply because the areas I detect in are highly mineralized.

I actually used my former Garrett APEX for small gold prospecting. It will definitely detect small gold but it is blind as a bat in high iron mineralization so it would have to be used in gold prospecting areas with milder mineralization. Same for high iron beaches that I tested it on in California. It did not go well. The APEX did great at the low iron sand beaches in Georgia and South Carolina that I used it on.

__________________
Minelab GPX 6000, Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, XP Deus, Garrett 24K, Whites MXT, Tek-Point, XP Mi-6

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 10-13-2021, 11:48 PM
The Lama's Avatar
The Lama The Lama is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 210
Default

I got to disagree on the california black sand beaches i hit almost every night i prefer to use my apex i feel it handles the wet black sand better than a cz or equinox i think only a pi or a tarsacci handles it better
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #12  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:13 AM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 14,863
Default

Now XP has something new coming out, IDK what it will be though?

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 AM
Detector's Avatar
Detector Detector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dodge City KS
Posts: 10,512
Default

I like my Nokta Simplex, but I know what Minelab can do. Personally I'd go with the Equinox 800.

Look historically at detectors past. Who, in my opinion, still rules the roost? Minelab. As speculated, if Nokta comes up with a truly new revolutionizing technology, then they could be the new king of the hill, but not likely. I'm guessing maybe some new features but nothing really new in the depth tech.

__________________
The real treasure is in the hunt....

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 10-14-2021, 02:23 PM
mh9162013 mh9162013 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: KY
Posts: 1,088
Default

Originally Posted by Detector View post
I like my Nokta Simplex, but I know what Minelab can do. Personally I'd go with the Equinox 800.

Look historically at detectors past. Who, in my opinion, still rules the roost? Minelab. As speculated, if Nokta comes up with a truly new revolutionizing technology, then they could be the new king of the hill, but not likely. I'm guessing maybe some new features but nothing really new in the depth tech.
I'm with you. I expect their new SMF offering to stand out in terms of value (ie what you get for what you pay), kind of like their Simplex did.

I personally think the new N/M SMF detector will cost less than the Equinox 600.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 10-14-2021, 04:57 PM
Detector's Avatar
Detector Detector is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dodge City KS
Posts: 10,512
Default

Originally Posted by mh9162013 View post
I'm with you. I expect their new SMF offering to stand out in terms of value (ie what you get for what you pay), kind of like their Simplex did.

I personally think the new N/M SMF detector will cost less than the Equinox 600.
I do agree. Nokta's claim to fame is one of the best "for the money" detectors. You still get far more for more money in my opinion. Anyway, that is how it has worked out for me. The Simplex is kiler for the money, but the Deus, CTX3030 and even the AT Pro and NOX 800, in my opinion, have many more features that give them an advantage.

__________________
The real treasure is in the hunt....


Last edited by Detector; 10-14-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 10-15-2021, 12:35 AM
choppadude's Avatar
choppadude choppadude is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Twin Tiers N.Y.
Posts: 4,645
Default

Originally Posted by beamwalker View post
Get both
X2

__________________
XP Deus WS5, Teknetics T2 Classic, Equinox 800, Simplex +, AT Pro, Nokta Impact, AKA Sorex Pro

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 10-15-2021, 10:27 PM
njemt njemt is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Old Bridge, NJ
Posts: 116
Default

So decided to go with the Equinox. I'm liking the information provided so far on the Nokta but the constant pushing back of the release date (I know it's because of world conditions) makes me think it's going to be pushed back again until next year. Maybe if I like what I see when it come out I will pick it up also.

__________________
If life is a highway, I'm that accident you just can't stop staring at!!!

Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.