Gave Up Football for Giant’s Gold Ring!

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I have hunted every Sunday morning without fail for months, but my son had a fall baseball league game playofftoday, and he was actually the starting pitcher, so that took precedence. His team was up 2-1 as he began pitching the bottom of the 2nd inning and then rains came. :rain: The game was a rained out and the rest of the day was supposed to be overcast and drizzly. I looked at the tide schedule and I saw that low tide was around 4:30pm.:hmmm: The Dolphins were playing Detroit at 1pm. Decisions, decisions!! :ehh: If I stay and watch the Dolphins and they lose I’ll be miserable. If I go out and detect, I’ll be happy about that even if the Dolphins lose. And if they win, then I will have detected, and they would’ve won, so it’s a WIN-WIN! :yes: Since you’re reading this you know what I chose. ;)

I detected mostly water with a little wet sand for 4 hours. The .950 silver ring came 1st and even though it came out pretty dark, and I couldn’t read the inside of the band, I knew it was silver since it was chunky and heavy. When I did electrolysis at home and cleaned it the .950 showed along with a name & date inscription. My 1st .950 silver! A little while after that ring was the “junk” child’s bracelet hit. It was tarnished in patches and I thought it was junk so threw it in the pouch. Then I remembered my “junk” tarnished bracelet that ended up being 18K back in August so a few minutes later I took it out. I took some wet sand from under the water and started to rub it and it became golder! :excited: When I got home I finished cleaning it up and saw that it was unmarked but acid test confirmed it was indeed gold at 10K! :dingding:Now that I found out the Dolphins lost I feel so much better about my decision as I would have been miserable staying home to watch them lose. Its been a while since I had a gold so it was good to know that my repaired CZ can still find some! :yes:

Attachments

• 11-9-14.jpg
    11-9-14.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 841
  • 11-9-14 Gold Bracelet.jpg
    11-9-14 Gold Bracelet.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 942
  • 11-9-14 Silver Ring.jpg
    11-9-14 Silver Ring.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,006
Congradzz!!

Wow! Both are big guys! Wonder what size that is, sure don't look like it was made for the finger? :?::?::?::shock:

Congrats that's some loot there!

Couple things...

I think your big ring may actually be a small bracelet?

And you silver colored ring looks to be marked 950 looking at your picture...:shock:

Edit... I had to read more...

<°)))>{

Nice haul, I think the discovery channel needs to start looking for those giant down in Florida. Lol congrats

950 is plat...weigh that sucker! Nice haul!!

I had to look it up...

From wiki...

Mexican silver has a millesimal fineness of 950. The Mexican silver alloy is 95% pure silver and 5 per cent copper or other metals. From 1930 to 1945, Mexican silver had a millesimal fineness of 980.

<*)))>{

"Cool finds man, i've never seen silver stamped like that"...

Ditto...Found plenty silver rings stamped Mexico 925, Never one 950
Given that Felix found and thought Chunky and Heavy silver ring, I would have it checked. If the weight is in the medium too high teens ...think Plat!

"Cool finds man, i've never seen silver stamped like that"...

Ditto...Found plenty silver rings stamped Mexico 925, Never one 950
Given that Felix found and thought Chunky and Heavy silver ring, I would have it checked. If the weight is in the medium too high teens ...think Plat!
Guys:
1. Trust me, I would love for nothing more than that ring to be platinum sine I have never found one, but it came out of the water pretty tarnished.
2. I have the platinum liquid tester and it didn't pass. (But I will try again since many of you on here have more experience than me).

What I do find unusual is that it is heavy and and it is inscribed with a name and a date.

3. What about an unscrupulous jeweler selling it as platinum but it's really silver?

Last edited:
Guys:
1. Trust me, I would love for nothing more than that ring to be platinum sine I have never found one, but it came out of the water pretty tarnished.
2. I have the platinum liquid tester and it didn't pass. (But I will try again since many of you on here have more experience than me).

What I do find unusual is that it is heavy and and it is inscribed with a name and a date.

3. What about an unscrupulous jeweler selling it as platinum but it's really silver?

Don't waste your time checking out that ring for anything else but silver... its not platinum... good job on the yellow and silver Felix...

Back
Top Bottom