Just looking for some opinions.

CoS New England

Hey guys, there used to be a bunch of old farm houses dating from the the late eighteenth century up to the mid nineteenth century that have been abandoned for many years. About a year ago, they where all demolished, and there are no plans to develope the area. The houses where all located on state owned land, and where used to house nurses for the nearby state hospital in the early 1900's. My question is, since its state owned land (Massachusetts) do i need permission to hunt the house sites?
(The houses where nowhere near the Hospital, and are far from any nieghboring properties.)

DSC_0059_1_3_5_7_skymasked-L.jpg
why did they demolish them? normally states try to save 1800s stuff.

I believe the reason for demolishing the buildings was that they had become major safety concerns. The photo above was taken before they had even started demolition. Ten or twenty years of complete abandonment in New England will pretty much destroy any house, and those houses have probably been abandoned for much longer. From what i heard from a local town meeting was that there was no way to save any of the houses. The oldest house dates back to around c1785.

DSC_0059_1_3_5_7_skymasked-L.jpg

I believe the reason for demolishing the buildings was that they had become major safety concerns. The photo above was taken before they had even started demolition. Ten or twenty years of complete abandonment in New England will pretty much destroy any house, and those houses have probably been abandoned for much longer. From what i heard from a local town meeting was that there was no way to save any of the houses. The oldest house dates back to around c1785.

they could if they wanted to... ive seen it done.. I like homes like that tthey are cool as is :P

At the town meeting, it pretty much came down to either spending the money on some old houses, or spending the money on the town hall. personally, I would rather see the money go towards the old houses, especially considering that the town hall was only built in the 1920's. When the town hall was being built, those house where already considered pretty old.

Be careful with MACRIS. It isn't up to date with its listing of vacant/abandoned/demolished.

I have found plenty of listing that say vacant/abandoned where that is clearly not the case.

Be careful with MACRIS. It isn't up to date with its listing of vacant/abandoned/demolished.

I have found plenty of listing that say vacant/abandoned where that is clearly not the case.

I hear you, MACRIS is a good start, and is fairly usefull when doing research, but is very out of date for some towns. I know a lot of the info for my town is from the 1970's and some propertys have completely changed since then.

Is it posted No Trespassing, or State Property Keep out or any other warnings? If so that is sufficient to arrest.
If not posted I would hunt it, who would complain? Local Police would most likely not care unless called. State police may be required to check it or some other state agency such as DCR or Environmental Police. You would most likely just be told to leave.

Disclaimer: Advice is not legal advice and is given as a personal opinion from the safety of my arm chair.

CoS New England, Do not confuse anything you might read on any of the state-by-state md'ing laws listing (like the one that the FMDAC has) with having anything to do with this question. All those list attempts are strictly for state park's lands . Not other forms of state land. Eg.: road right of way, eminent domain not yet incorporated into some other function, etc...

And I find it hard to believe that ANY of the 50 states has something that .... just in general, forbids md'ing on all state land. Perhaps state PARKS, sure, some do. But to just blanket all-state-land? No. You're welcome to check to see, since I'm sure that MA has all their state laws (again, not be be confused with state park laws) on-line for public viewing.

How did you get the pix of that one house in post #5 ? Was that lifted from the website link you give in post #6? Or did you personally take that pix before the demolition ? If you personally took the pix, then how did you get close enough to take the actual picture, if you now somehow worry that you can't be there, standing there, etc.... ?

I would not hesitate to hunt the locations.

CoS New England, Do not confuse anything you might read on any of the state-by-state md'ing laws listing (like the one that the FMDAC has) with having anything to do with this question. All those list attempts are strictly for state park's lands . Not other forms of state land. Eg.: road right of way, eminent domain not yet incorporated into some other function, etc...

And I find it hard to believe that ANY of the 50 states has something that .... just in general, forbids md'ing on all state land. Perhaps state PARKS, sure, some do. But to just blanket all-state-land? No. You're welcome to check to see, since I'm sure that MA has all their state laws (again, not be be confused with state park laws) on-line for public viewing.

How did you get the pix of that one house in post #5 ? Was that lifted from the website link you give in post #6? Or did you personally take that pix before the demolition ? If you personally took the pix, then how did you get close enough to take the actual picture, if you now somehow worry that you can't be there, standing there, etc.... ?

I would not hesitate to hunt the locations.

No, by the time I heard of the demolition, it was too late, I found those pics online. From what I can remember, there where no "No Trespassing" signs. But You have a good point Tom, but I'll check the state laws again and see if they have any laws for State property.

And thanks everyone one for your input, its nice having others opinions on this situation.

COS, if the Mass DCR commission now regulates the property, you aren't suppose to be digging there.

If the state owns the land, but the DCR is not involved, I'd have at it.

Not all state acquired land is for the DCR commission to be handling.

Back
Top Bottom