Clean your junk (ahem..) for unusual relics

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
I dug this mold in the back alley parking pad of an 1890s house. It was 10 inches deep with a high VDI tone on the ATPro. The molds were completely full of dirt and the other side gives nothing to indicate the faces. The other side is narrower, flat, and has two long nails sticking out. Considering this is an area people have put out items for garbage and junk collection for over 100 years, I thought it was the foot to an old piece of furniture. It is very heavy for its size. Junk bag.

When I got home I was cleaning up my finds, including rechecking any junk still layered in dirt. You will miss some finds if you always assume that clump of dirt is a piece of oddly shaped foil or scrap metal.

That's when I noticed the three grooves (near the chins) and I knew it wasn't a furniture foot. I started scraping the dirt out with a half sharpened wooden dowel and ended up with a great relic. I even got to have fun with Play-doh.

Attachments

• mold small.jpg
    mold small.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 232
By the way, looking at this piece when it is still wet with a little oil--as it is in the photo--you can get the optical illusion that the faces are coming out of the object rather than recessed into it. Can you see it? If you can, then it's hard to un-see it!

Last edited:
I have 2 little ones and play with playdoh almost daily, it is fun! :laughing: that is a really neat relic, the guy is a little creepy though, almost looks like Peewee Herman :lol: congrats, and good luck in 2019!

That is super ccol. Looks like a lolipop mold or something like that with that hole in the bottom for the stick. Can't imagine sticking the dudes head in my mouth though. :lol:

Very cool save, TS! I can definitely visualize the face standing out from the mold rather than recessed like you mentioned...but either way, that face creeps me out! Good thing it isn't a clown face, I wouldn't be able to sleep for a week :lol:

And +1 on taking a good look at any "trash" before throwing it out - I almost threw away one of my more interesting finds because it just looked like a dirt encrusted knock out plug: Washington Centennial Medal find

Back
Top Bottom