Fire Department Badge

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
ChrisCo and I hit an Old School today and I found this Fire Department Badge.

We are in Southern Oregon and the Fire Station depicted is a Volunteer Fire Department across the California border. Quite often over the years California and Oregon go to each others states to "help out", in the event of major forest fires etc. so perhaps this school which is now closed for the last 15 years was used as a "Camp Ground"

anyways it was about 7" deep and rang up as a 12-13 nickel range on the Equinox. I am thinking possibly it is nickel plated.

I did send a facebook message to the Corning Volunteer Fire department Facebook Group so I hope to hear back from them.

It is a fairly small badge about 2.25 high by 1.25 wide so at first I thought it might of been a toy but it is pretty solidly made and just doesn't look like a toy. Not to nention it had an actual name on it.. Anyways was a pretty cool find I thought.

Attachments

• Badge.jpg
    Badge.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 460
Neat find, it will be interesting if you hear back from them and they can give you an approx. age if the design has changed since then.

Neat find, it will be interesting if you hear back from them and they can give you an approx. age if the design has changed since then.

Well I got a reply from the Volunteer fire department from a facebook message I sent.

My Message:
Hi I Found this Badge, Metal Detecting an Old School in Ashland Oregon was fairly deep so it's been there awhile.. any idea of it's age or any info on it?
you guys are awesome and thanks for your service !!

His Reply:
Wow!!! That’s pretty awesome! I will show our Chief and some of the members that have been in for years. We are a all volunteer department. Any chance you’d be interested in donating this to us so we can display it with our other Memorabilia? We’ve been a volunteer fire department since 1912 and would love to have it

My Reply:

I would be VERY happy to donate it. Let me get together a shadow box or something to display it and I will send it to you guys.. In the meantime thanks for asking your members.. as for me the HISTORY of the finds are more important tan the find itself.. Thanks again .. Curt

So now I have to go put together a display !
This Christmas my wife and I are going to be driving to Southern California and will be passing by Corning.. I think we may deliver it to them in person :)

Well I got a reply from the Volunteer fire department from a facebook message I sent.

My Message:
Hi I Found this Badge, Metal Detecting an Old School in Ashland Oregon was fairly deep so it's been there awhile.. any idea of it's age or any info on it?
you guys are awesome and thanks for your service !!

His Reply:
Wow!!! That’s pretty awesome! I will show our Chief and some of the members that have been in for years. We are a all volunteer department. Any chance you’d be interested in donating this to us so we can display it with our other Memorabilia? We’ve been a volunteer fire department since 1912 and would love to have it

My Reply:

I would be VERY happy to donate it. Let me get together a shadow box or something to display it and I will send it to you guys.. In the meantime thanks for asking your members.. as for me the HISTORY of the finds are more important tan the find itself.. Thanks again .. Curt

So now I have to go put together a display !
This Christmas my wife and I are going to be driving to Southern California and will be passing by Corning.. I think we may deliver it to them in person :)

THAT is REALLY neat !!!!!

Congrats to you to not only donate it, but put it in a display and maybe even deliver it in person !

Get pics of them and their other Memorabilia if you can.

(Make sure people will be there if/when you plan to go by there)

Besides their Facebook page you mentioned here's another page I just found -

http://www.corning.org/fire_department.html

Congrats! That's a really cool find! You'll have to post some pictures if you make it to the station to drop it off in person.

This is an awesome return story! One of my favorite finds this year is a local fire dept badge. I brought it to the local fire house, but they don't have much for memorabilia there. Didn't look like it would belong there. They did not ask if they could have it. Mine is very small; less than an inch and a half tall.
Very cool find, and very cool of you to happily donate it to them; in a shadow box display, no less!

Such a great find and story....to me especially. I am a retired Battalion Chief (25 years of service). Our badges had our employee number on them as well, mine was 7019. It would have been really cool if they had numbered them, so you could have determined who it actually belonged to. Here in Russellville, AR, we just built a massive new central station and have a historical room. It contains a nice display case, all of the old hand-written log books..etc. Thank you for donating a piece of their history, for others to see! And as Waveoff said, please share some pictures of when you present it to them. You should also get your local newspaper to do a little article too, I think it's newsworthy. Who knows, if you disclosed the find location someone might still be alive that knows who it belonged to. Thanks again for your kind donation!

Attachments

• 165591_1454070875907_1426235_n.jpg
    165591_1454070875907_1426235_n.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 337
This is an awesome return story! One of my favorite finds this year is a local fire dept badge. I brought it to the local fire house, but they don't have much for memorabilia there. Didn't look like it would belong there. They did not ask if they could have it. Mine is very small; less than an inch and a half tall.
Very cool find, and very cool of you to happily donate it to them; in a shadow box display, no less!

I would like to see a picture of it Foragist, if you don't mind posting. Thanks!

Nice badge, congrats. Last year our club was called by the local fire department at Lake Tahoe to locate some fire hydrants that were buried in snow. We were able to find 4 out of the six they were looking for.

Back
Top Bottom