Scuba detecting

BillyB

Im thinking of meshing my two hobbies. im an avid diver and have been metal detecting for a few years now. I use a ctx 3030 but im hesitant to go diving with it. plus i would like to go deeper than 10ft. seems like my only option is an excalibur 2. Im ok with that, but i just wanted to check on here first to see if im leaving anything out. I would like it to be capable of 100 ft, and more is better. thanks for any help.

Tesoro Sand Shark is rated to 200’, and White’s Dual Field to 100’. Both PI’s tho.

Garrett Sea Hunter rated to 200’.

I imagine Excalibur would hold an edge. Need to hear from Scubadetector himself, I bet he’s tested them all.

Im thinking of meshing my two hobbies. im an avid diver and have been metal detecting for a few years now. I use a ctx 3030 but im hesitant to go diving with it. plus i would like to go deeper than 10ft. seems like my only option is an excalibur 2. Im ok with that, but i just wanted to check on here first to see if im leaving anything out. I would like it to be capable of 100 ft, and more is better. thanks for any help.

Billy, the only gear I use on SCUBA dives is my Excal II. Shorty rod by Plugger and I have compact extension of my arm that happens to be my metal detector. From a safety standpoint I love my set up, doesn't get tangled in anything and easily maneuverable in tight spaces.

Good luck!

Remember the salt content can change the deeper you go. Some machines ... and i think the aqua pulse is one of them use around 24 uS to compensate. But id think using the VLFs in AM (reverse disc) would calm it. Lot depends on how deep you are talking on rather you want one of the VLFs or a PI and the size of targets. If you intend on using it to wade with as well..... id stick to the Xcal and hunt in reverse disc.... since you dont have to open the box to charge it. If its not a new machine and you want to go very deep you might want to have it pressure tested id its an Xcal..... may need to change those O rings.

It really depends on where you are hunting , which you do not divuldge. There are only two machines that will work in both fresh and salt water with a high success rate. The CZ-21 and the Excal.

I have absolutely no idea why you would want to go any deeper than around 30 foot though. I swing the CZ-21 for 4 reasons. 1. it looks professional, 2. it is silent and I can hear boats that want to make propeller bait out of me, 3 it is sturdy and works fantastic, 4. I hip mount it, so swinging the rod and coil is a breeze.

The Excal also works but I think it is ugly and noisy.

The Tesoro's are good machines but you would need two if you were going in both fresh and salt water. The Tiger Shark and the Sand Shark.

The Whites BHID is rated for only 25 foot.

I love my CZ's and I swear by them. ANY machine will work in the hands of a person that LEARNS his equipment.

IF you are strictly salt water, disregard this advice.

In my opinion if you're diving in freshwater you would want Excal or CZ as you can switch from all metal to discriminate. I hunt in all-metal mode so I know that I'm in the right spot as many hair pins and nuts and bolts have been dropped through the years off the swim platforms so as long as I'm hearing them I know I'm in the right spot. Then I can switch over to discriminant and not have to dig all the metal targets as you are limited on bottom time.
I also have a PI that I used a few times but spent way to much time digging junk.

It really depends on where you are hunting , which you do not divuldge. There are only two machines that will work in both fresh and salt water with a high success rate. The CZ-21 and the Excal.

I have absolutely no idea why you would want to go any deeper than around 30 foot though. I swing the CZ-21 for 4 reasons. 1. it looks professional, 2. it is silent and I can hear boats that want to make propeller bait out of me, 3 it is sturdy and works fantastic, 4. I hip mount it, so swinging the rod and coil is a breeze.

The Excal also works but I think it is ugly and noisy.

The Tesoro's are good machines but you would need two if you were going in both fresh and salt water. The Tiger Shark and the Sand Shark.

The Whites BHID is rated for only 25 foot.

I love my CZ's and I swear by them. ANY machine will work in the hands of a person that LEARNS his equipment.

IF you are strictly salt water, disregard this advice.
Hi thank you for your reply. Im a north east diver, strickly salt water. I mostly dive the long island sound. my depths range from 30 to 100 ft. i also dive some bays and harbors that are shallower. I liked my whites bhid 300 but it didnt go deep enough and when i got my ctx for the beach i sold the whites bhid. thank you for your advise.

Billy, the only gear I use on SCUBA dives is my Excal II. Shorty rod by Plugger and I have compact extension of my arm that happens to be my metal detector. From a safety standpoint I love my set up, doesn't get tangled in anything and easily maneuverable in tight spaces.

Good luck!
I agree. i like my scuba rig to be very clean and streamlined. so i would set my detector up the same way.

Back
Top Bottom