Explorer II or DFX or ???

cadawg

Hello to everyone,
Making the decision on which metal detector to buy is pretty hard. Wish I had a distributor close by, who has more than one or two different models.
I'm new to md'ing and have been lurking for a while to try and learn enough to make a decision on which metal detector to buy. I've gone to two smaller distributors, and looked at what they had. One distributor had a Whites Prizm and a XLT, and he convinced me the xlt was what i needed. Went to another distributor, who had a Whites M6 and an MXT, and this distributor convinced me that what I really needed was the MXT. At this point I decided to think some more.
It seems that each time I get closer to making a choice, I find that if I were to spend just a little bit more, a few hundred or so, I'd get some additional feature or benefits. So, finally I've decided to get one of the better ones. The Minelab Explorer II or Whites DFX.
I will try and give as many details as possible, so that anyone who can, will offer their advice.
This will be my first metal detector.
I am almost 50 years old, will be retiring in a few months, and will want to use the md to help me get some exercise, a few hours a day, 3-4 times a week.
I would like to search for coins, relics, jewellery, even some gold prospecting.
I would like to search rural areas (old home sites), parks, near rivers, and Beach's. Most of the areas I will be searching are in the southeast, GA, FL,TN, and a bit in CA and NV.
The two models I'm looking at (the EX II and the DFX) will, from what I've read will do what I'm expecting. But I really can't decide between the two.
Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts or suggestions that might help me.

cadawg

Both machines are an excellent choice. The EX-II is a little more cost than the DFX, and although I have never held one, looks to be a little lighter in weight. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. There is going to be somewhat of a learning curve with these machines as they have numerous capabilities for programming them to the type of hunting you plan on doing and to the conditions you will be facing in your area. With my DFX I had some problems at the start with this, and after using it for a while, getting the book "Digging Deeper With The DFX by Jeff Foster, and having a good friend from Maine help me out, it has all come into place. I'm quite sure someone here that runs the EX-II will be able to give you advice on that machine. Good luck on your quest. Almost forgot, WELCOME to the forum. :yes:

Welcome!
I bought an inexpensive one that lasted a month. Well, I out grew it in a month now I have the ex ll and like it very much. I have only been metal detecting for less than a year now, and have no problems working with the Minelab. First off I would like to say it is ready to go right out of the box. Put batteries in hook up the headphones and swing. And you will find good stuff.
Now the hard part... you can adjust everything, customize screens , patterns, tones etc. You can probably spend a couple years working things from here. It is a rugged machine that can handle different conditions. I drag mine through the woods mostly.

I'm sure with either machine you will get what you pay for. Top of the line equipment.

Good luck and HH (happy hunting)

cadawg said:
Hello to everyone,
Making the decision on which metal detector to buy is pretty hard. Wish I had a distributor close by, who has more than one or two different models.
I'm new to md'ing and have been lurking for a while to try and learn enough to make a decision on which metal detector to buy. I've gone to two smaller distributors, and looked at what they had. One distributor had a Whites Prizm and a XLT, and he convinced me the xlt was what i needed. Went to another distributor, who had a Whites M6 and an MXT, and this distributor convinced me that what I really needed was the MXT. At this point I decided to think some more.
It seems that each time I get closer to making a choice, I find that if I were to spend just a little bit more, a few hundred or so, I'd get some additional feature or benefits. So, finally I've decided to get one of the better ones. The Minelab Explorer II or Whites DFX.
I will try and give as many details as possible, so that anyone who can, will offer their advice.
This will be my first metal detector.
I am almost 50 years old, will be retiring in a few months, and will want to use the md to help me get some exercise, a few hours a day, 3-4 times a week.
I would like to search for coins, relics, jewellery, even some gold prospecting.
I would like to search rural areas (old home sites), parks, near rivers, and Beach's. Most of the areas I will be searching are in the southeast, GA, FL,TN, and a bit in CA and NV.
The two models I'm looking at (the EX II and the DFX) will, from what I've read will do what I'm expecting. But I really can't decide between the two.
Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts or suggestions that might help me.

cadawg

If you think you will be doing a bit more gold prospecting the MXT will pick up a nugget about 2 grain size where the DFX will pick up about a nine grain size. Got this info from the factory.
The MXT will do better on the gold prospecting. I really like the DFX for coin and jewelry hunting......one mans opinion
good luck on your choice.

Both machines are excellent. I think the difference between the two will be slightly more depth with the Exp. II, more versatility due to the increased programability as well.

Thanks to all for your help! I found a good deal, and bought a Minelabe Explorer II today, should receive it in a few days. I also purchased a few other items. A Vibra Probe, and a Lesche digging tool. Now I will read the manuals in anticipation.

I purchased my first detector, a DFX last September. I like the fact that there are 3 or 4 very good books out on using the DFX, several forums dedicated to the DFX that are full of every kind detailed help you can imagine, numerous optional coils, and if you like to get into the programming you can do that too. There are even a few DFX hunts being scheduled for the end of April.

Hello Cadawg,
If you want a detector that goes deep in the truest sense, whether on the beach or the gold fields, can handle salt conditions at the beach, iron infested and highly mineralised ground, or you want to detect in range of other detectors, power lines, etc, then the Minelab Quattro or the Explorer 2 is the way to go. As long as you don't mind paying that little bit extra, and, understand that there is a bit of a learning curb with both machines. But given some time, patience and practice, you won't regret it. I've personally been using the Quattro for over a year now, and the stuff I've found is incredible. Take it from someone who knows!
HH Angela

Thanks again to all for your help and advice. I've had the Explorer II for a couple of days now, and can't wait till I can get out again. Its just plain fun.

cawdog don't forget that if you get scrambled with custumising programs you can always go back to the factory default settings and be back in good hunting mode. Cladius. and yes i have had to do this. :roll:

Oh yes
Thank goodness for factory reset! I have used it several times. I get silly with changing so many settings I get lost. oops!
cadawg check out the "how to use" posts to get the most out of your MD

Jeff

Thanks for all the suggestions! Seems everytime I hav a question, I can get the answer off a forum!

Back
Top Bottom