which detector for a beginner

scott stokes

I would like to stay at $400 or less,never have used one very little but would like to get into this hobby,I also have a few 1800's houses i can detect around.thanks for any help.scott

The Garrett ACE 250 seems to be the most popular for most beginners wanting a pretty decent machine. You can get one of those for about half your available money. However, White's, Fisher and Minelab all have detectors in the price range you listed that may give you a little more depth. You should research some of the detector review sites that aren't affiliated with any brands.

Good luck with your ace!!!! I have had mine for a month or so and have fallen in love with it!! HH

thanks for all the replies,now i have another?i may up grade to a better detector,and tony said for $400 i could get the xterra30 or prismIV.so what is the advantages of these two?

I'm a fan of the prizm's. They are way easy to use, go deep and pinpoint extremely well.

You'll hear the most talk surrounding the Ace 250. Every time someone asks about an entry level machine, its the first one to fall off the tongue due to the cost and features. But I feel that the Prizm IV/V are a small step up from them and are way underappreciated in the market.

If you look at the rating the bounty hunter tracker IV gets five stars and I have to say, once I got the controls figured out it has become a good machine, especially for under 150.00. I figured that would let me decide if this was the hobby for me or not. The coil and such are waterproof and it is built quite well. It's just my opinion, :P smg

Back
Top Bottom