Good Advice for Newbys who want to buy a detector

macdaddy

I have been detecting for around 30 years. I just finished reading a major portion of most of the forum catagories and see a lot of good questions
I would like to pass on a little recommened adcice to those who are looking to buy a new or used metal detector.
First, buy the best one you can afford.....you get what you pay for.
make sure it has a depth indication if possible. it is nice to know how deep a hole you are going to have to dig.
if you think you are going to hunt for gold get a detector that has a little higher operating frequency such as the GMT, MXT or DFX in the White's line. The higher the operating frequency the easier it will be to locate gold.
buy a loop cover to protect your loop/coil. it will probably outlast your life.
recommended accessories....a pouch to put you finds and trash in.
a Bullseye pinpointer (white's brand) others call them something else.
great for finding the shallow targets and targets that are hard to see.
a lesche digging knife is a great tool for cutting grass roots.Something to kneel on , either knee pads or i use a small rubber garden kneeler. this keeps your knees dry.
Hope this helps a little hope i didn't forget anyting

If you are new to this forum. like myself , you will find that there are some very knowledgable people here that respond to your questions.
Take advantage of their expertise.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at beginner level detectors and I think I narrowed it down to the Ace 250. I basically looking for coins, jewelry, and relics. Will this unit do? Any other suggestions for that price range (around $250)?

Thanks....

Diverman said:
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at beginner level detectors and I think I narrowed it down to the Ace 250. I basically looking for coins, jewelry, and relics. Will this unit do? Any other suggestions for that price range (around $250)?

Thanks....

I can't advise you on the ace 250.

i go thru the forum almost every night and see a lot of positive comments about the ace 250. it would seem to be a very good entry level detetcor.

word of advice.......i also bought an inexpensive detector as my first detector. then 3 months later i went to white's and bought their best detector......it is a ver adicting hobby.......especially after you find your first good ring

I can't advise you on the ace 250.

i go thru the forum almost every night and see a lot of positive comments about the ace 250. it would seem to be a very good entry level detetcor.

word of advice.......i also bought an inexpensive detector as my first detector. then 3 months later i went to white's and bought their best detector......it is a ver adicting hobby.......especially after you find your first good ring

I beg to differ, the Ace 250 has a solid reputation of being a well balanced land metal detector. In my own experience of using the Ace 250 I have been very very successful. Battery life is fantastic, discrimination abilities are almost always right on, and depth indication is usually accurate. All in all you can't go wrong with the ace 250 but don't take my word for it, simply call some dealers and ask them their opinions.

Diverman said:

Thanks....

The 250 is a great machine, and I personally would describe it as above entry level..
It is a downright serious machine. Light weight, accurate, sensitive, well constructed, great pinpointing and simple to operate.
This simplicity is really what seperates it from the mid/high end machines.
It lacks bells and whistles such as ground balancing, noise cancelling ect, and the depth it is capable of detecting also comes up a bit short, as one would expect, vs the high end machines [you can expect about 6 inches or so on a penny sized object, perhaps a bit more under optimum conditions].
I just upgraded to a Quattro over a 250, but my 250 stays.
For one thing, I think it is superior over the Quattro in hunting in woodchip/gravel play areas, which I do alot of. It certainly pinpoints much, much better, and great depth is typically not needed on tot lots. Its lighter weight and simplicity also offers benifits in this area.
For another, my children are somewhat into detecting, so now we can hunt together.
And finally, the 250 pretty much stays in the back seat of my truck all summer, so its always there when I need it. I doubt I'd feel comforatable doing this with my quattro.
I literally paid for my 250 10 X over with finds in my first season, though obviously results may vary.

Back
Top Bottom