WOW 200 posts to use classified??

coherent

I've been a member since 2007. Admittedly I read mostly and rarely post but wanted to post a for sale on for a AT Pro I have... but 200 posts? That seems a bit excessive. I understand wanting to avoid scammers and keep things for sale on the up & up, but my guess is that the percentage of forum members that even have 200 posts is likely very limiting as far as users allowed to post an item for sale?

I've been a member since 2007. Admittedly I read mostly and rarely post but wanted to post a for sale on for a AT Pro I have... but 200 posts? That seems a bit excessive. I understand wanting to avoid scammers and keep things for sale on the up & up, but my guess is that the percentage of forum members that even have 200 posts is likely very limiting as far as users allowed to post an item for sale?

I'm no admin or mod, but I fully approve of the 200 posts thing. Buying and selling has an implied relationship. Being a member of a site doesn't mean there's a relationship.

Personally, getting to a 200 post count isn't a big deal if you're active in the forum, making comments here and there. Like you implied, though, it's an insurmountable annoyance to spammers. :)

I think of the buying and selling portion of the forum a "Perk" for those who actively contribute to the content and conversation. It's not a right based on length of membership.

Hope you get to your 200 soon! Cheers. :)

Skippy

No, it's not.
Most have way more than that if they actually participate on the forum and even though it isn't perfect it does offer some protection and they changed it when a couple of members with low post counts ripped off a few people.

There is a guy Artie here that pretty much just hangs out to sell detectors and was doing it for years.
The posts in the classified section don't count so he was caught by this rule because he didn't have enough.
He didn't complain, he just went on to the other sections one morning and commented and posted...a lot.
Took him very little time to reach that 200 count and then he just went back to selling his detectors after that.

Contribute more if you want to sell something then problem solved.

I had 200 posts my first day here, so it's not tough. What da ell' is a pinpointer?...what do you mean no shovels?...sponsors, you mean I could have bought this cheaper?... :laughing:

The tag under your name even says "new member" because you're not considered "active" enough.

I understand your outlooks. To say that most members get to 200 (much less quickly) is simply not correct. I've been a member 10 years and by the limited number of my posts I am obviously not a scammer or troll. But just for the heck of it I took a look at the member list and sorted it by number of posts. There are 540 pages of members... you get to those with less than 200 posts by the 40th page which works out to only 7.41 percent of the members can post to the classified. I can understand limiting who can post, and am all for limiting spam and trolls, but to say that the site is helping eliminate spammers by not allowing over 93 percent of the members to use the classified seems a bit... err excessive? I'll likely never get to 200 so even If I am an honest seller and can offer someone a great deal I'm out of luck. I can accept that. But unless you are a mod getting to 200 quickly without a good majority of the posts being unconstructive "comments now and then" and a waste of forum space is tough (which unfortunately happens and is part of the nature of public forums). Just my 2 cents FWIW, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

Last edited:
I had 200 posts my first day here, so it's not tough. What da ell' is a pinpointer?...what do you mean no shovels?...sponsors, you mean I could have bought this cheaper?... :laughing:

The tag under your name even says "new member" because you're not considered "active" enough.

Ahh.. so you'd rather deal with a person who makes over 200 posts on his first day here because then he's then considered a "productive" forum member? I suppose I could start at the beginning and leave a comment like "Amen Brother" or I've been there done that" or "thanks for the info" on every thread until I get to 200. That's the way to make myself an "active" user and offer constructive information to other members?

Heck, I'll start now... Thanks for your input and opinion!:laughing:

Ahh.. so you'd rather deal with a person who makes over 200 posts on his first day here because then he's then considered a "productive" forum member? I suppose I could start at the beginning and leave a comment like "Amen Brother" or I've been there done that" or "thanks for the info" on every thread until I get to 200. That's the way to make myself an "active" user and offer constructive information to other members?

Heck, I'll start now... Thanks for your input and opinion!:laughing:

Well see, that's where the longevity protection comes in. Not only do you have to have 200 "significant" posts (I guess you missed that part...), but also have been a member for a certain length of time... so those in the community can have a chance to learn about you and see that you are even just slightly participating in the community and therefore not going to try and swindle someone and then jump ship. Reputation is all you have online. I've also bought items from others here (including sponsors who support this site) and directly supported the site myself, and not just tried to dump stuff.

10 years and only 18 posts...you should be all set to sell that AT Pro in say...about another 102 years! Thanks for contributing so much to the site! :laughing:

I kinda think along the same line as you do on the post counts but I can also see how it could weed out some / but I also look at how long someone has been a member.
The At -Pro should sell easy . I use a tiger shark and a silver and some old Garret stuff
From the 70's and 80's from time to time . I have thought about the AT line maybe some day I will try one .

We get many new members here very day. If you just posted a welcome to each new member then you would hit 200 quickly as well as make another person feel welcome here

Last edited:

In 2014 a number of members were scammed... we did what we thought could help out others from being scammed... its not perfect.. but its the rule of the forum... its 6 months a member and 200 significant posts.

Some forums charge money to use their classifieds we do not.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=197924&highlight=scammers+classifieds

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=199395&highlight=scammers+classifieds

In 2014 a number of members were scammed... we did what we thought could help out others from being scammed... its not perfect.. but its the rule of the forum... its 6 months a member and 200 significant posts.

Some forums charge money to use their classifieds we do not.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=197924&highlight=scammers+classifieds

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=199395&highlight=scammers+classifieds

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen a number of forums over the years that charge for classified and some charge just to access the entire forum. The fact that this one doesn't is appreciated. Personally I think when members post a classified and an item sells, they should make a donation (even if it's just a dollar or two) to the forum. Simply using the honor system would likely work well and help support the forum. Paypal makes it quick & easy now days :my2cents:

Trust us......we remember!!!!

JK LOL:laughing:

Yep, you guys helped me out a bunch and still do! And now look at me, I'm helping other new people with all you've taught me. Funny how that works when you're actually part of a community and willing to give back and not just be a taker! :laughing:

I learned much the same way.

200 posts

With no , I Trader record , more than likely you will have a hard time selling, or buying anything in the classified , as i look at the I Trader 1st, must be all positive, 2nd how long you have been a member, 3rd number of post's, and most recent activity,and last who your friend's are, one might be one of mine, the forum protect's it's member's from scammer's, and is a great thing , happy hunting, Earl

200, ouch :lol:

I have itrader on another forum related to a different hobby, none here, but I think 200 seems more than reasonable.

Plus if you see someone posting on here regularly you garner a bit of trust compared to someone you’ve never seen posting regularly.

I've got no problem with a 200 post rule, and it should be required to use paypal, backs up both the seller and the buyer, none of this gift for a friend thing, i would rather be SURE i am protected.

Back
Top Bottom