Getting more $$ for my gold

Bagelbites

Forum Supporter
Hey y'all, I just wanted to share my experience with selling some of the gold items I've found.

When I started detecting, I took all my finds to the pawn shop and got a percentage of melt value. It was easy and quick, but obviously pays about the minimum for gold. For my last few finds, I tried posting the items on the apps OfferUp and Letgo, with good success.

You post some photos, a description, and a price, and the offers start rolling in almost immediately. I've had to sift through 4 or 5 flakey people for each item, and people normally offer about 1/3 of my asking price, so I've learned to inflate the asking price and negotiate down. I agree to come down substantially from my asking price if they will meet me in my area, on my time, to avoid wasting time with flakes.

All items I've posted have sold: a bracelet, 3 rings, and a pendant. I've made $725 total for 6.3g of 21k, 6.6g of 14k, and 5g of 10k, which is roughly twice what I would have gotten at the pawn shop. Not bad!

Just thought I'd share. Good luck out there, folks.

Last edited:
Hey y'all, I just wanted to share my experience with selling some of the gold items I've found.

When I started detecting, I took all my finds to the pawn shop and got a percentage of melt value. It was easy and quick, but obviously pays about the minimum for gold. For my last few finds, I tried posting the items on the apps OfferUp and Letgo, with good success.

You post some photos, a description, and a price, and the offers start rolling in almost immediately. I've had to sift through 4 or 5 flakey people for each item, and people normally offer about 1/3 of my asking price, so I've learned to inflate the asking price and negotiate down. I agree to come down substantially from my asking price if they will meet me in my area, on my time, to avoid wasting time with flakes.

All items I've posted have sold: a bracelet, 3 rings, and a pendant. I've made $725 total for 6.3g of 21k, 6.6g of 14k, and 5g of 10k, which is roughly twice what I would have gotten at the pawn shop. Not bad!

Just thought I'd share. Good luck out there, folks.

That is an Awesome return.. going to a melt calculator from an online site I calculated that at $443 Before refining charges..

GREAT job !!

Thanks for that tip, Bagelbites... Good to hear your experience with those apps.
Do you prefer one over the other, in regards to: a) ease of use, b)number of flakes to deal with, c) any other comparison you can offer ?

Thanks.

Jim

That is an Awesome return.. going to a melt calculator from an online site I calculated that at $443 Before refining charges..

GREAT job !!

Thanks bud.

Thanks for that tip, Bagelbites... Good to hear your experience with those apps.
Do you prefer one over the other, in regards to: a) ease of use, b)number of flakes to deal with, c) any other comparison you can offer ?

Thanks.

Jim

My pleasure, Jim. Both apps are similar in function and relatively easy to use. There are flakes everywhere, in both apps. I use both of them so I can reach as many potential buyers as possible. If going this route, I'd recommend using both apps, setting your asking price pretty high, and then using the fact that you came down a lot from your asking price, as a bargaining chip to get the buyers to meet on your schedule, at your convenience. It's worked pretty well for me.

Thanks bud.

My pleasure, Jim. Both apps are similar in function and relatively easy to use. There are flakes everywhere, in both apps. I use both of them so I can reach as many potential buyers as possible. If going this route, I'd recommend using both apps, setting your asking price pretty high, and then using the fact that you came down a lot from your asking price, as a bargaining chip to get the buyers to meet on your schedule, at your convenience. It's worked pretty well for me.

Thanks for that follow up reply Bagelbites... should be helpful.

Jim

Sounds like a good deal for you. People love thinking they are getting a deal when you reduce an inflated price.

GREAT job !!

That was what I was going to ask... what's the comparison to spot.

WELL DONE! Anytime you can get better than spot is a total win.

Back
Top Bottom