Compadre vs. Mojave

Compadre vs. Mojave: Basic Similarities and Basic Differences.

Similar:
• Both were produced by a now defunct, forever out-of-business company.
• Both use the small, "microMAX" control housing.
• Both are based on a 2-Filter, slow-motion/quick-response circuitry.
• Both are powered by 1-9V battery.
• Both models rely on an internally pre-set Ground Balance.
• Both models use the ED-180 Discriminate range of acceptance.

Different:
Compadre is 'hard-wired' so it has a non-exchangeable search coil and the Mojave has a coil connector and uses any of the 'standard' range of search coils. The Mojave came 'standard' with a newer-design, thinner-style 7" Concentric coil.

• The Compadre has an internally pre-set Sensitivity level, while the Mojave has an external, variable Sensitivity control.

• The Mojave has an external, 2-position toggle switch to select either an 'average' Ground Balance setting or a 'high' Ground Balance setting for more challenging mineralized areas. The two GB functions are pre-set but this switch provides an excellent operator chosen setting to handle all land-based conditions.

• The Compadre came in a traditional brown plastic control box mounted on the Tesoro gold-colored rod. The Mojave used the black control housing on the black rod system.

Those are the basic differences, but if they each are using the same size/type search coil, they will provide very comparable performance with the advantage going to the Mojave. In different ground mineral environments/challenges it offers some user option for GB control, and the operator can also make use of the variable Sensitivity control which might help with some EMI challenges or other situations.

From a personal standpoint, I've used Tesoro models for over 36 years including both of these. If I was to select just one of these two models today, it would only be the Mojave. I prefer the color/looks, the 2-position GB toggle selector, and the versatility of being able to change search coils if desired.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom