So Angry!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
Have new neighbors next door. Seemed friendly enough this morning. Offered to mow my front yard when they mowed theirs. Okay I agreed. Came home from after being at the Sr. Ctr. today to find they DID NOT mow along the edge of the road where the grass is about a foot tall. And they weed whacked all along the front of the house INCLUDING cutting down my 1 foot tall holly bush that I have been nurturing for 3 yrs to put in a pot to take with me whenever I move into an apartment! Nothing is left but the root ball. :mad: I hate them! I will be trying to sell my house and move as soon as I can. Might take 3 years! But I don't want to live next to them!:furious::cuss::censored:

It was SUPPOSED to be an older woman about my age (someone I can relate to). I am stuck with a single mom with two stupid (apparently) teenagers! :roll: JOY!

Have new neighbors next door. Seemed friendly enough this morning. Offered to mow my front yard when they mowed theirs. Okay I agreed. Came home from after being at the Sr. Ctr. today to find they DID NOT mow along the edge of the road where the grass is about a foot tall. And they weed whacked all along the front of the house INCLUDING cutting down my 1 foot tall holly bush that I have been nurturing for 3 yrs to put in a pot to take with me whenever I move into an apartment! Nothing is left but the root ball. :mad: I hate them! I will be trying to sell my house and move as soon as I can. Might take 3 years! But I don't want to live next to them!:furious::cuss::censored:

It was SUPPOSED to be an older woman about my age (someone I can relate to). I am stuck with a single mom with two stupid (apparently) teenagers! :roll: JOY!

I notice you have a couple Bible verses in your signature, please let me share this one with you.

Matthew 22:37-40 “Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Maybe

Her kids that cut the grass- thought it was a weed , or didn't see it, and mowed it down not knowing it :(, maybe it was in good mean's, i have fought with some neighbors here, i am moving within 3 months, decided all the years of fighting , it isn't worth it, just say thanks but ill cut my own grass, as you must realize , you made the error, you said ok-- when they asked, when you should have said, thanks for the offer, but i cut my own grass, look at the bright side, you gave them permission to work on your property, if the son got injured , it would have fell back on YOU :shock:, be thankful that- didn't happen. However you excepted a favor , now the Mom, will want a favor in return :yes::D, what you really did was :worms::realitycheck::oops::my2cents: sorry NO clue what that's going to be Bro., better you than me, :hide: :yoda:

Wow, it's a plant.... they offered to help, you took them up on it., and they made a mistake and now you "hate" them? " Stupid teenagers"?

I got nothing else, just Wow.

I used to be a stupid teenager. I learned a lot from the old folks in the neighborhood. Don't give up on them to soon. You have a chance to teach them about forgiveness and gardening. I had the Watsons up the street. He was a communications pioneer who ran the first cross country telephone lines and owned the second radio station in Indianapolis. He used to let all the neighbor kids in to see his Ham radio station. We all knew our names in Morse code.
I was 7 years old when he died and I got the job of getting the mail for Mrs Watson. $1.00 a day $2.00 on trash day. I was a rich man in 1972. I had that job for 10 years with the same pay. Give them a chance.

Sincerely
.--- .. -- - . -- .--. .-.. . - --- -.

You guys are right I was just majorly upset because I had nurtured that plant for 3 yrs to get it where it was only to find nothing left of it now. It's had a hard time growing and struggling now it's gone -- all that hard work to get it up to 1 foot (not much of a plant but it was starting to sprout out and finally get bigger). But now it is destroyed. That's my beef -- all that work for nothing. Hopefully, he didn't kill it and it will sprout again and start to grow. I've had offers from friends to give me some of their holly plants but it won't be the same. I didn't plant this one it just came up on its own and I babied it and took care of it only to have it destroyed. Oh well! Back to the drawing board.

I used to be a stupid teenager. I learned a lot from the old folks in the neighborhood. Don't give up on them to soon. You have a chance to teach them about forgiveness and gardening. I had the Watsons up the street. He was a communications pioneer who ran the first cross country telephone lines and owned the second radio station in Indianapolis. He used to let all the neighbor kids in to see his Ham radio station. We all knew our names in Morse code.
I was 7 years old when he died and I got the job of getting the mail for Mrs Watson. $1.00 a day $2.00 on trash day. I was a rich man in 1972. I had that job for 10 years with the same pay. Give them a chance.

Sincerely
.--- .. -- - . -- .--. .-.. . - --- -.

Cool story. I used to do lawn care for a few people similar to them. You can learn from those people, their life stories are usually pretty interesting and an inspiration, and they like telling them.

Penny, that plant might sprout back and be the prettiest bush on the property. That's the ugly duckling theory. :D

I had a neighbor once when I lived out West.....Nice guy, young family, just moved into the Wilderness from Chicago...Anywhoo, he was attempting to live 'self sufficient'... planted himself a really nice garden, put in some fruit tree saplings even, doing everything right, well...

One evening he came on over to the house, obviously upset...Said he was having all sorts of problems with deer getting into his crops, chewing on his new fruit trees etc...Yeah? So he asked me if he could borrow my big stupid Lab mix dog Louie, since he didnt have a dog of his own...He wanted to take him down there and stake him out in his garden for the night to keep the deer away?

Me and my little 7yr old Daughter and stupid Louie were standing there on the porch and evaluating this request as the Sun was going down....But, being a good neighbor, I complied, "Sure! take Him! Here you go!" Both Louie and Eva didnt seem hepped up about it, and the both shot me a WTH? glare....I shrugged it off...

So anyway, off he went with Louie, him and 30' of chain, a big old stake even...Thankful and happy about having a good neighbor who would loan him a free guard dog on such sort notice......Well, along about midnight, I heard Louie come up onto the porch dragging that 30' of chain and thought nothing of it...I simply guessed the guy didnt get that stake pounded in right, so I went back to sleep....

About Sunup, here comes that guy pulling into the yard!! All distraught and mad as hell! So I go out there, and heres Louie, laying on the porch, with his chain, sleeping, all wrapped up in about 20 uprooted fruit trees, and a variety of shredded juvenile vegetables! :laughing: The whole mess looked like a Farmers market got runned through a woodchipper!

What evidently happened is, Louie didnt want to be out there guarding this guys crops, right? So he ran around in a 60' circle, as fast as he could go, wrapped the whole damned garden and the trees up in his chain! Pulled the stake and came dragging it all back home!:laughing:

I was still half asleep as the guy went on about how Louie destroyed his whole garden! Said it was wallowed out like a 60' diameter tether ball court! Looked like a dirt crop circle, or a buffalo wallow, nothing left alive!!

I'm standing there listening thinking about WTH am I supposed to say? My Daughter....As the guy took a breath, simply said..."Well, it was all YOUR idea!" Oh Man! After All these years, We still laugh about that time!

A few months later, Louie went down there and killed all the guys free range chickens!...He did bring a few home though, even one big turkey! We all had a fine family feast!...When confronted...I Told the damned guy it was probably coyotes and such, not my stupid lazy old Louie, he pretty much just sleeps here on the porch, and wouldnt hurt a fly...Like I said, he was from Chicago...:laughing:

Now I wonder what happened to that guy? He wasnt much of a farmer...

Last edited:
When I lived on our farm, my younger cousin wanted to earn some money. I agreed to let him hoe the weeds in my garden. The first thing he did was to go down the row and cut down my large sunflower plants. They were all in a row and stood above all of the other plants in the garden so it was easy to see that they had been planted. Some kids just don't know any better unless it is explained to them.

I can sympathize with you Pennyfinder, unfortunately we don't get to pick our neighbors... As neighbors go though, yours don't sound so bad. Maybe kinda dumb but not evil anyway.

We had nasty filthy dope dealers next door for years, selling dope in the front yard, scuzzy meth heads creeping around outside our place looking for stuff to steal in the middle of the night, fights next door, poor little kids left out in cars while their mamas went in to trade for dope...

My neighbors on the other side of them are elderly and the poor man was so afraid of these dirtballs that he was packing heat in his own yard...

Anyway, after years of reporting all of the above and getting no action since we're not technically in city limits although we're on city land, and the city didn't give a hoot, we finally figured out the solution. ( No, we didn't burn it down but that was a tempting thought, too illegal though and we didn't really want to toast any people - even drug dealers- in the process,) so last year we bought them out real cheap when the opportunity arose.

This week we're putting the finishing touches on the gut-remodel of the place and hopefully getting it on the market next week. But it's been a monumental pain in the neck from start to finish and something we shouldn't have had to do just to live here in peace...

I had a neighbor once when I lived out West.....Nice guy, young family, just moved into the Wilderness from Chicago...Anywhoo, he was attempting to live 'self sufficient'... planted himself a really nice garden, put in some fruit tree saplings even, doing everything right, well...

One evening he came on over to the house, obviously upset...Said he was having all sorts of problems with deer getting into his crops, chewing on his new fruit trees etc...Yeah? So he asked me if he could borrow my big stupid Lab mix dog Louie, since he didnt have a dog of his own...He wanted to take him down there and stake him out in his garden for the night to keep the deer away?

Me and my little 7yr old Daughter and stupid Louie were standing there on the porch and evaluating this request as the Sun was going down....But, being a good neighbor, I complied, "Sure! take Him! Here you go!" Both Louie and Eva didnt seem hepped up about it, and the both shot me a WTH? glare....I shrugged it off...

So anyway, off he went with Louie, him and 30' of chain, a big old stake even...Thankful and happy about having a good neighbor who would loan him a free guard dog on such sort notice......Well, along about midnight, I heard Louie come up onto the porch dragging that 30' of chain and thought nothing of it...I simply guessed the guy didnt get that stake pounded in right, so I went back to sleep....

About Sunup, here comes that guy pulling into the yard!! All distraught and mad as hell! So I go out there, and heres Louie, laying on the porch, with his chain, sleeping, all wrapped up in about 20 uprooted fruit trees, and a variety of shredded juvenile vegetables! :laughing: The whole mess looked like a Farmers market got runned through a woodchipper!

What evidently happened is, Louie didnt want to be out there guarding this guys crops, right? So he ran around in a 60' circle, as fast as he could go, wrapped the whole damned garden and the trees up in his chain! Pulled the stake and came dragging it all back home!:laughing:

I was still half asleep as the guy went on about how Louie destroyed his whole garden! Said it was wallowed out like a 60' diameter tether ball court! Looked like a dirt crop circle, or a buffalo wallow, nothing left alive!!

I'm standing there listening thinking about WTH am I supposed to say? My Daughter....As the guy took a breath, simply said..."Well, it was all YOUR idea!" Oh Man! After All these years, We still laugh about that time!

A few months later, Louie went down there and killed all the guys free range chickens!...He did bring a few home though, even one big turkey! We all had a fine family feast!...When confronted...I Told the damned guy it was probably coyotes and such, not my stupid lazy old Louie, he pretty much just sleeps here on the porch, and wouldnt hurt a fly...Like I said, he was from Chicago...:laughing:

That's flippin' hilarious! Oh my gosh....

This reminds me of a TV show a few years back, called The Simple Life, featuring Paris Hilton. Paris took on a job at a very nice Victorian mansion. The owner wanted the porch painted. Paris said she'd do it and the owner said "ok, the paint is in the shed" and went inside.

After about 1 hour, Paris rang the doorbell and when the owner opened the door she said "I'm finished, by the way, it wasn't a Porsche, it was an Aston Martin".

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, but ideally it would have been best to have a small wire fence around that holly plant because to a teenager it might have looked like a sticker bush type weed and they may have thought they were doing you a favor.

In this day and age when some teenagers have a lack of respect and care towards others it is to be appreciated when they cut your grass for free just to be neighborly, even if they miss an area or don't do a perfect job at least you only have to fine tune it instead of doing the whole thing, so try to remember that their intentions were good, as the old adage encourages, "look at the glass as being half full instead of half empty. :yes:

You can make "lemonade" out of what you originally perceived to be "lemons" and that lady and her sons can become good friends with you, and good friends are more valuable than any plant which I'm sure you would agree :D

Even if you're not able to offer her sons any pay for their efforts, you can always offer a sandwich and/or a soda or ice tea to show your appreciation in the future.

Thank God my wife and I still have no problem doing our own yard work (even though we have to take breaks more often than before :lol:) but it would be nice to have helpful teenagers like that as neighbors if we need some help with yard work when we got up in our 80's (even though I know of people in their 80's that still do their own yard work :lol:)

Agreed...Kids are nothing but trouble!...They are like potholes, a minor annoyance when they are small, but when they get big, they wreck your car!

I will say, a Lawnmower is one of the most dangerous and incalcitrant appliances on this Planet! Its a fact! Only an American would ever conceive of such an expensive and dangerous mechanical calamity!

Everybody else on this Planet simply uses goats! Americans! More people wind up in the ER every Summer on account of lawnmowers than just about anything!

Case in point, I had a Scoutmaster once, back in the 70's ...We called him "Biter McCaw"...He had big chicklet teeth stained yellow on account of he smoked Winstons...Great big yellow teeth! Like a beaver! Damned guy could cut down a 6" diameter lodgepole pine without an axe! He would show off by biting fishing line, opening bottles of soda and cans of beans with those big yellow teeth of his! Impressive!

Anyway, during a Boy Scout canoe trip we all noticed Biter was missing a big toe on one foot! And when queried, heres the Story he told us....

He was 'pulling' instead of 'pushing', a lawnmower on account of it was faster and easier, (which it is)....well, one day as he was pulling that mower, he slipped, and as he was falling over backwards, he pulled that mower right on up and over his foot! Said it shot his big toe right out of the grass chute like an inattentive toad or a drunken chipmunk!

Just then, the neighbors cat, observing, seeing this errant and free bloody appendage, pounced on it and scampered up a tree! Biter said he was hopping around underneath the tree, yelling and swearing, trying to get his toe back, but the cat just sat there with his toe between his paws, unconcerned about Biters digital loss and plight, delightedly nibbling away on it...!

Cats will do that you know...they are fairly smart, they are opportunists and pretty much dont give a diddly damn about anybody other than themselves...

You will never see a cat mowing the yard for instance, but they will be happy to sit there in the shade and watch you do it...

True story...Biter got along just fine after missing that Big toe though....Sure it threw him off and he walked in a natural circle for the rest of his life....he eventually became the greenskeeper at the Country Club, so pulling a mower in a circle was no problem for him...:laughing:

Last edited:

:heartylaugh::crackup:

QUOTE=Mud-puppy;2790919]Agreed...Kids are nothing but trouble!...They are like potholes, a minor annoyance when they are small, but when they get big, they wreck your car!

I will say in their defense, a Lawnmower is one of the most dangerous and incalcitrant appliances on this Planet! Its a fact! Only an American would ever conceive of such an expensive and dangerous mechanical calamity!

Everybody else on this Planet simply uses goats! Americans! More people wind up in the ER every Summer on account of lawnmowers than just about anything!

Case in point, I had a Scoutmaster once, back in the 70's ...We called him "Biter McCaw"...He had big chicklet teeth stained yellow on account of he smoked Winstons...Great big yellow teeth! Like a beaver! Damned guy could cut down a 6" diameter lodgepole pine without an axe!

Anyway, during a Boy Scout canoe trip we all noticed Biter was missing a big toe on one foot! And when queried, heres the Story he told us....

He was 'pulling' instead of 'pushing', a lawnmower on account of it was faster and easier, (which it is)....well, one day as he was pulling that mower, he slipped, and as he was falling down backwards, he pulled that mower right on up and over his foot! Said it shot his big toe right out of the grass chute like a toad or a chipmunk!

Just then, the neighbors cat, observing, seeing this errant and free bloody morsel, pounced on it and scampered up a tree! Biter said he was hopping around underneath the tree, yelling and swearing, trying to get his toe back, but the cat just sat there with his toe between his paws, unconcerned about Biters digital loss and plight, delightedly nibbling away on it...!

Cats will do that you know...they are fairly smart, they are opportunists and pretty much dont give a damn about anybody other than themselves...

You will never see a cat mowing the yard for instance, but they will be happy to sit there in the shade and watch you do it....[/QUOTE]

:laughing:

This reminds me of a TV show a few years back, called The Simple Life, featuring Paris Hilton. Paris took on a job at a very nice Victorian mansion. The owner wanted the porch painted. Paris said she'd do it and the owner said "ok, the paint is in the shed" and went inside.

After about 1 hour, Paris rang the doorbell and when the owner opened the door she said "I'm finished, by the way, it wasn't a Porsche, it was an Aston Martin".

:laughing:

I can sympathize with you Pennyfinder, unfortunately we don't get to pick our neighbors... As neighbors go though, yours don't sound so bad. Maybe kinda dumb but not evil anyway.

We had nasty filthy dope dealers next door for years, selling dope in the front yard, scuzzy meth heads creeping around outside our place looking for stuff to steal in the middle of the night, fights next door, poor little kids left out in cars while their mamas went in to trade for dope...

My neighbors on the other side of them are elderly and the poor man was so afraid of these dirtballs that he was packing heat in his own yard...

Anyway, after years of reporting all of the above and getting no action since we're not technically in city limits although we're on city land, and the city didn't give a hoot, we finally figured out the solution. ( No, we didn't burn it down but that was a tempting thought, too illegal though and we didn't really want to toast any people - even drug dealers- in the process,) so last year we bought them out real cheap when the opportunity arose.

This week we're putting the finishing touches on the gut-remodel of the place and hopefully getting it on the market next week. But it's been a monumental pain in the neck from start to finish and something we shouldn't have had to do just to live here in peace...

Good Luck! Hope you get some decent neighbors -- I'd be asking to have a background check done on the person who is seriously considering buying it -- no criminal background or drug convictions! Have that done before the sale is approved!!!!!!!! Can you do that!

Good Luck! Hope you get some decent neighbors -- I'd be asking to have a background check done on the person who is seriously considering buying it -- no criminal background or drug convictions! Have that done before the sale is approved!!!!!!!! Can you do that!

You have zero right to demand anything on someone elses property.
Please don't be that crabby neighbor that everyone tells their kids to avoid. These kids came and mowed your lawn for FREE. Do you realize how hard it is to get kids to do anything productive these days? Despite them cutting your holly bush, you should still thank them and show appreciation for the FREE labor you received. People make mistakes. You didn't tell them "don't touch that bush" so its just as much on you as them.

Your home sounds like it's been neglected and you're complaining they didn't cut the tall grass by the street that you also did not cut.

In this particular case we have a lot of say in who buys it, since we own it... As a kindness to our really good and nice neighbors we'll try to get someone who's not a dope slinger in there :lol:

Back
Top Bottom