New weapon to add to the arsenal

Briman05

Elite Member
I picked up my (new to me) Excalibur II from Dapper Dan yesterday. It looks brand new and Dapper Dan is a heck of a guy to deal with I highly recommend him for buying something from him if he sells another machine or accessory. I tested it out and found out real quick it is a heck of a lot heavier the my 705 and alot more complex. I have a question for everyone who uses a excal. I set my thershold so i was just able to hear a slight hum, volume is maxed, disc is on 1, Sensitivity was on auto just to try out the detector. I kept get a loud sound after a while of detecting I didn't know if it was that the battery was needed to be recharged or it was being overloaded with iron. I asked Dapper Dan and NewJersey Andy what it was and they figured it was one of those 2 as well but probably more of a overload of iron. It sounds like a low buzzer sound. I'm not sure how else to describe it. So what could it be?

If its at regular intervals like once a minuet it's probably the battery. Leave it on without swinging and if you get the same sound it's the low batter warning.

If its at regular intervals like once a minuet it's probably the battery. Leave it on without swinging and if you get the same sound it's the low batter warning.

It doesnt come and go I was walking and then the buzzer sound came and wouldn't go away it was just a constant sound

you now have a fine heater

did u get 10" or 8"?

sensitivity.............here on our salt water beaches the 10" seem to work great around 6 or less - 7 is max and a shade noisy. - 8" - 6 or 7 works ok.

i have never been able to run volume up to full - about 3/4 works best for me or about: 2PM for clockface setting.

that heater will really work good in the dirt also, have no fear about using it there if u hunt that zone.

many love to hunt in pin point mode.

where do you have it mounted.....on factory shaft or below or behind elbow?
good luck
make sure u have a good sturdy scoop - you are going to need one.

did u get 10" or 8"?

sensitivity.............here on our salt water beaches the 10" seem to work great around 6 or less - 7 is max and a shade noisy. - 8" - 6 or 7 works ok.

i have never been able to run volume up to full - about 3/4 works best for me or about: 2PM for clockface setting.

that heater will really work good in the dirt also, have no fear about using it there if u hunt that zone.

many love to hunt in pin point mode.

where do you have it mounted.....on factory shaft or below or behind elbow?
good luck
make sure u have a good sturdy scoop - you are going to need one.

I got the 10 I had it mounted on the factory shaft but I will probably convert it to a straight shaft below the elbow. I had a good stainless steel scoop with a wide mouth ready to take some bites out of the sand

Briman05

many around here ...maybe 85% or more use the long straight shaft behind the elbow for the 10" excal.
u can make your own or look at the plugger model or the anderson models, both have great shafts.
good luck................sounds like your battery is dying to me also, sometimes the factory chargers go bad fast also.

several use aftermarket charges with a light so u can tell when charging is complete.....just a thought to consider down the road.............the road u will taval as your quest for the yellow metal continues........it is a bumpy road at times full or all sorts of !!!! like tungsten, titanium, stainless steel, silver, cobalt, gray matter, pennies (lots of pennies) and then yellow, the unforgettable sound u will hear from it - nickles and pull tabs too.

stand by for a great ride on this road

I hear the excal threshold tone changes to low if you go over iron, and stays on that low tone until you sweep over another target. Is that what you are describing?

Yeah I ordered the aftermarket charger with the lights last night because I heard the factory one can fry your battery

I hear the excal threshold tone changes to low if you go over iron, and stays on that low tone until you sweep over another target. Is that what you are describing?

Thats what I was thinking too. If it is that don't worry and keep on swinging or run it over your scoop if you don't like the sound and it will return to normal.

maybe that is what it is I will have to try that once I get my new battery charge so I cant charge it up and take it for a good test run

dead battery coming, and they start acting really weird if it is very weak

Note that the Excal's threshold tone is determined by the last target scanned. This sometimes leads to an annoying threshold tone that will remain until you run the coil over a different target. I wonder if this might be the "low buzz" you are talking about. When this happens simply run the Excal over your scoop. This method can be used to reset the threshold to a more familiar tone.

the Xcal uses PITCH HOLD.... the threshold takes on the tone of the target it goes over.

Dew

Good Luck with your Excal..You are going to LOVE that machine...I have a brand new Sov Gt that sits as a backup and I never use it...It took me a few months to really hear the different tones so give it some time..You will pay for it in no time at all...Happy Hunting !!

Back
Top Bottom