Excal II different settings

upena

Forum Supporter
I have always run my Excal II with the following after doing a bunch of reading online:

Discrimination - 1
Sensitivity - about 11 o'clock
volume - as loud as I can stand
Threshold - up to the buzzing and back to silence - can't stand the buzzing in my ears.

Anyhow, we had a scheduled power outage yesterday, so I dug out some reading material, and found a completely different set of settings in book by Clive J. Clynick (CJC) - not actually from CJC, but from one of the contributors.

He has his set at the following and claims he gets better depth in salt and fresh water:
Discrimination - 1
Sensitivity - Max
Volume - Max
and for threshold he states that he just turns on the machine and as soon as it clicks on he stops. No going up to the buzzing and back down to silence.

Has anyone ever tried hunting with their Excal II with these settings?

Take another look at that article..... sounds like he is running in PP. Id highly doubt you can crank it up to 10 in the salt water especially anywhere near the surf. You just wouldnt be able to tell a false from a weak signal. What ive found is more sensitivity (overpowering the coil) seems to do more for the coil HALO for small objects..... but not depth unless you are in PP.

Dew

Take another look at that article..... sounds like he is running in PP. Id highly doubt you can crank it up to 10 in the salt water especially anywhere near the surf. You just wouldnt be able to tell a false from a weak signal. What ive found is more sensitivity (overpowering the coil) seems to do more for the coil HALO for small objects..... but not depth unless you are in PP.

Dew

Didn't state whether running in All Metal or DISC

Didn't state whether running in All Metal or DISC
I see what you are talking about I have the same book."Shoreline Treasure Hunting" I just got it in the mail the other day. page 20 #9 in table of contents.
I don't have the answer, but in the back of the book on pg. 89 it gives the authors email. Why don't you email him and ask him and get the answer directly from the guy that wrote it?
Then post the answer back here in this thread.

By the way I like your taste in beer. Singah beer is some good stuff. Too bad it's hard to find where I live.

basically

I run all mental 95% of the time,just out of auto at the highest setting,if it becomes unstable back off on the sensitivity,the only reason you should run in Disc are heavy iron,or trash,or running in trashy dry sand,all metal which is pin point on the excal 2 should not be switched back and forth the switch will fail eventually,for those who do prefur to run in disc posabally missing deep gold,the setting's are simular to what you stated but the 11am is more like 10am on the Excal 2 which has better shielding than the blue,so you can crank it up a tad more running stable,my excal 2 1000 settings in disc are ,threshold low hum so deep target's are herd,volume 3/4 ,sins 10am,disc 1,pinpoint same except sinsitivity just out of auto at max,if it get's unstable back of a tad,till your happy,and yes i run a df to cranked up,but if ya take the df out,no disc for trashy ,iron infested spot's,so ya better know the area,or you will take out the wrong machine,it is nice to have both excalibur's and Df ,it's the best of both world's,happy hunting,good luck,Earl

Threshold barely audible, sensitivity @ 12 or 1 o'clock, volume as loud as you can stand it, or rather, so a good solid hit won't deafen you, disc @ minimum. That's what works for me. If you run no threshold you won't hear the tone change when you go over a really deep target that you don't get a good solid hit on. I've found some good stuff with just a threshold shift and no actual hit per say. If you run the sensitivity wide open in disc you are gonna dig a lot of ghost targets, ie holes with nothing in them, it's called bottom bounce and the machine will not be as deep.

Earl...... your setting are the same as mine. I reread my post.... when i was saying 10.... thats the highest sensitivity setting just out of auto (not 10 o'clock) and i was talking about using that setting in disc. I sometimes even have to adjust it as i go out deeper because of the salt content in the water may change. You can bet thou im running it as hot as the site will allow.

Dew

Threshold barely audible, sensitivity @ 12 or 1 o'clock, volume as loud as you can stand it, or rather, so a good solid hit won't deafen you, disc @ minimum. That's what works for me. If you run no threshold you won't hear the tone change when you go over a really deep target that you don't get a good solid hit on. I've found some good stuff with just a threshold shift and no actual hit per say. If you run the sensitivity wide open in disc you are gonna dig a lot of ghost targets, ie holes with nothing in them, it's called bottom bounce and the machine will not be as deep.
Ditto,,,,its what works for me,,,

Dew

Disc i run around 10ok,all metal just out of auto 8 -9am,is the highest,i will pick up my DF 1st :yes:,just like that 12 with 6 in the middle,great coverage,and sensitive to the smallest object's,finally getting out,the blue its about 11am in disc,both are good machine's,i like using the 800 blue in the water,must be nice in Florida,i bet it got hot down thier this summer,it was a scorcher here,i didn't feel like doing !!!!,hopefully the weather will break a bit,happy hunting,Earl

That is the Goldinwater's method. I found that in saltwater with the sensitivity cranked up that high, the Excalibur bottom bounces the signal giving MUCH lower depth. Goldinwater hunts the Great Lakes and that method has worked OK in a couple of fresh water lakes I have hunted and tried it.

The only way on the ex 2 1000 to go in saltwater with sensitivity up to 10 is pinpoint mode.
Treshold can be set on a comfortable just audible level.Volume of your choice but not less than the half imho.

How old is the book? My old sword Excal can be run with max sensitivity, in discriminate,in salt water with almost no falsing. My new Excal II is a different animal and I have to turn the sensitivity down till it stops falseing.

You can start at any point but the Best thing to do is to adjust when you get there to get the best settings. Find a target and adjust for the best signal, then move on to a faint and readjust again. If you jump up on the wetsand readjust for that the same way....

I always adjust my sensitivity as high as possible without too much falsing. My old Excal I never had to. The first time in the water with the Excal II I thought something was wrong with it because I tried to use the same settings as the old one. This year I'll be using the old one again. I just want to change the o rings, reseal the coil wire at the coil and I have to make a new battery pod because the old one has cracks all over it.

Has anyone tried this

And this is hunting in PP and checking targets in Disc. by switching.

Discrimination set on 9, ....the excal automatically disc iron (when discriminating iron it has a low threshold growl), then there is a discriminate knob which will discriminate the low conductives, leaving the high conductive's ..when the knob is turned to 9 this will wipe out all low conductive, when you go across a low conductive like gold, foil it just blanks the audio and the threshold does not change at all from the higher threshold. Therefore I just dig targets that are blanked out, leaving the high conductive which give a regular report, and the iron which give the low nasty growl (null). I think it is a great way to let the machine do the cherry picken for you....

I run mine in disc, threshold just turn machine on and that's it, sensitivity at 9 or 10 o'clock, and disc at 1.

I have only tried my Excal 2 a couple of times in a local freshwater swimming pond. I'm not positive but I don't think anyone hunts this "beached" pond, at least not in the water. Now remember I am trying to learn the E2. I did not find any jewelry which was kind of surprising to me considering the amount of "traffic" the pond sees in the summer. I did however notice this threshold change but I did not realize that this meant it could be a deep target. I guess I need to get back in the water once the ice thaws.
If you run no threshold you won't hear the tone change when you go over a really deep target that you don't get a good solid hit on. I've found some good stuff with just a threshold shift and no actual hit per say.

Is This when the machine kind of semi nulls, where it nulls but you can kind of still hear the threshold? When people say that they have to swing the detector over something metal like their scoop to get the threshold back, is this what your mean? I hope this makes sense.
Has anyone tried this

And this is hunting in PP and checking targets in Disc. by switching.

Discrimination set on 9, ....the excal automatically disc iron (when discriminating iron it has a low threshold growl), then there is a discriminate knob which will discriminate the low conductives, leaving the high conductive's ..when the knob is turned to 9 this will wipe out all low conductive, when you go across a low conductive like gold, foil it just blanks the audio and the threshold does not change at all from the higher threshold. Therefore I just dig targets that are blanked out, leaving the high conductive which give a regular report, and the iron which give the low nasty growl (null). I think it is a great way to let the machine do the cherry picken for you....

Back
Top Bottom