• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

End leaks (in detectors)

lytle78

Elite Member
With modern conformal coatings for electronic circuits being highly resistant to immersion - even in seawater - I wonder when we will see the first truly immersable beach detector.

The battery would still have to be encased, but the rest of the circuit could just flood. No screen display, of course, but switches and lights could do the biz while immersed.

Result - lighter, more compact, neutrally buoyant, less water resistance while in use.

Of course, the rest of the package, rods, etc would need to be “submerge then forget” as well. Just a quick hose down to get rid of salt stains and be ready for next time.

Service would be easier with no pressure testing after repair. Circuit boards these days aren’t normally repairable anyway, so simple component swap would make service quick and less expensive.

Not sure how well that would hold up after a few months. Also need to worry about uv exposure and temperature changes among other things.
Might be possible.. but way out of a detecting companies bankroll

This is definatelty doable. The largest obstical in my opinion will be dispersing the heat that is generated in the circuit. Even that will not be a huge obstical to overcome, repairing the circuit after it is coated will probably not be viable. For instance I have bought and built the surf pi 1.2 kit from silverdog in the uk, I have thought about coating the entire circuit in epoxy but decided not to due to the fact it generates some heat from the fet and repair would be impossible if anything were to burn up. If you can solder reasonably well I would suggest to buy the kit, get it working and coat it. It could fit the bill for you as its cheap, so practically expendable. The downside to this route is that it is a P.I. detector so you will dig a lot.

Apple and Samsung would probably come out with something well before a metal detecting company.

Not sure exactly what your saying... is it like the control box without a cover or just the insides caked in an epoxy?

Electronic Potting Compound, used it on a audio amp for the head phones. Worked fine..water proof potentiometer.

I remember some of WWII surplus radio components I played with as a kid being filled with a hard epoxy for battlefield protection. It still had connections and such so it wasn't 100% bullet proof, but you get the idea. But with electromagnetic induction chargers and true underwater wireless headphones and coils, there's little reason to ever get into the case anyway. The entire thing could be built on one card, sealed completely and permanently.

A lot depends on which side of the fence you are on...... the user or detector company. The way ML has gone with the totally enclose box and battery.... its possible to spray the components to further waterproof them.... because its throw away repairs. We dont know yet if its cost effective to US as users until we start paying for repairs on say the Nox. Lot of space still wasted in the box. Never going to be like the phones...... they have far more geeks designing equipment. Salt also has a way of eating away at anything..... so youd still have to have access IMO to rinse off the boards. It all comes down to economics in the long run...... us vs them.

Back
Top Bottom