Beach picked clean

jeepcollector

I went to the beach on and ran into another hunter on the way in. She said the place had been picked clean. Although this was discouraging news, I searched for 1-2 hours. I found very few bottle caps or anything which tells me she knew what she was talking about. I found a few pennies. I’m wondering if the others that hit the same beach intentionally skipped over the pennies?

I went to the beach on and ran into another hunter on the way in. She said the place had been picked clean. Although this was discouraging news, I searched for 1-2 hours. I found very few bottle caps or anything which tells me she knew what she was talking about. I found a few pennies. I’m wondering if the others that hit the same beach intentionally skipped over the pennies?

Hey there Jeep-collector, I see that you're from silicon valley (San Jose area, right ?). If so, what beach were you trying ?

Most of the hard-core beach hunters around here wait for winter storms to erode the beaches. And usually detest dry sand hunting. If you've ever been in an area the size of your living room, and dug 500 targets, so fast that you can't even take a step in any direction w/o a dozen more 'beeps', you will never go back to dry sand hunting again.

When the beach isn't eroding, then the wet-sand inter-tidal zone will have very few targets. Just light weight stuff (caps) and/or whatever was only recently dropped in the last days or week or so. No fun.

But for those who ply the dry sand (or wet sand when sterile), no, I don't know why they'd be passing pennies. The only time I've ever seen beach-hunters get selective and pass high conductors, is when/if the targets on the wet are SO thick, that .... we begin to pass high conductors in our quest to up-our-odds are gold rings (which tend to be medium to low conductors, on-average).

If you google "Tom's beach tips", you'll see an article I wrote on the subject of beach erosion. At least in-so-far as it pertains to our central coast region.

Ahhhhh.....yeah... NO ! Tom ,
Sometimes the beaches are so "thick" of pennies you HAVE to pull them out so you can get to the gold. It's called masking , lol...

Timing and location are very important parts to success... Of course you can go to the beach and find stuff any day, targets are dropped daily, and if there's pennies there, there's other good targets too. I hit A class ring a couple weeks ago (in the dirt) that rang up just like a deep penny. My point is, any gold hunter knows that large gold can register as high as penny, maybe even higher... She probably just left with multiple goodies and didn't want you scanning her spot, or she TRULY believes a beach can be hunted out (which there's absolutely NO way that could EVER happen!) Just my 2 cents, good luck out there!

It was Seabright.

Thank you for responding, I will read your tips. You have renewed my excitement after an unsuccessful day. I work full time and coach youth sports so I'm lucky to get out a few times a year.

Hey there Jeep-collector, I see that you're from silicon valley (San Jose area, right ?). If so, what beach were you trying ?

Most of the hard-core beach hunters around here wait for winter storms to erode the beaches. And usually detest dry sand hunting. If you've ever been in an area the size of your living room, and dug 500 targets, so fast that you can't even take a step in any direction w/o a dozen more 'beeps', you will never go back to dry sand hunting again.

When the beach isn't eroding, then the wet-sand inter-tidal zone will have very few targets. Just light weight stuff (caps) and/or whatever was only recently dropped in the last days or week or so. No fun.

But for those who ply the dry sand (or wet sand when sterile), no, I don't know why they'd be passing pennies. The only time I've ever seen beach-hunters get selective and pass high conductors, is when/if the targets on the wet are SO thick, that .... we begin to pass high conductors in our quest to up-our-odds are gold rings (which tend to be medium to low conductors, on-average).

If you google "Tom's beach tips", you'll see an article I wrote on the subject of beach erosion. At least in-so-far as it pertains to our central coast region.

Let me correct my statement. The lady was really nice. She showed me what she found and told me where she searched. She felt that the beach had been worked harder than normal. I still have tons to learn.

Timing and location are very important parts to success... Of course you can go to the beach and find stuff any day, targets are dropped daily, and if there's pennies there, there's other good targets too. I hit A class ring a couple weeks ago (in the dirt) that rang up just like a deep penny. My point is, any gold hunter knows that large gold can register as high as penny, maybe even higher... She probably just left with multiple goodies and didn't want you scanning her spot, or she TRULY believes a beach can be hunted out (which there's absolutely NO way that could EVER happen!) Just my 2 cents, good luck out there!

Exactly. Too many times when I locate a pocket that is littered with coins , I have found MONSTER gold or multiple gold. It's alot of work. But I never say " gee , this sucks" and just bail because there's too many pennies. Time is of the essence though. Some of these areas can take me 2 , sometimes 3 days before I clear it out or conditions cover it up. So many mindless , wandering hunts make me appreciate these epic events when they occur.

Thank you for responding, I will read your tips. You have renewed my excitement after an unsuccessful day. I work full time and coach youth sports so I'm lucky to get out a few times a year.
Let me correct my statement. The lady was really nice. She showed me what she found and told me where she searched. She felt that the beach had been worked harder than normal. I still have tons to learn.

You heard the saying, "There is no wrong way to eat Reece's (Peanut Butter cup)"? Well, same is true for MD'g.

Option 1 - dig it all... majority of the time you'll just pick up garbage that others skipped over, including pennies. However, when you remove the garbage, you may find other targets that the garbage masked. That was my strategy for finding a beautiful platinum 3/4" diamond engagement ring.

Option 2 - cherry pick... if you don't have a lot of time, or there are a lot of other hunters nearby, you may want to just dig good tones. Case and point, skip over pennies but dig all the big coins, aluminum and foil. That method has found a dozen silver and gold necklaces, bracelets, and charms when I was hunting prime conditions and against other hunters.

Whatever you decide, tenancity is key to winning. Targets can be lost in any place. Your competition can miss a target by an inch and then you come by and find it. You just never know. =)

You heard the saying, "There is no wrong way to eat Reece's (Peanut Butter cup)"? Well, same is true for MD'g.

Option 1 - dig it all... majority of the time you'll just pick up garbage that others skipped over, including pennies. However, when you remove the garbage, you may find other targets that the garbage masked. That was my strategy for finding a beautiful platinum 3/4" diamond engagement ring.

Option 2 - cherry pick... if you don't have a lot of time, or there are a lot of other hunters nearby, you may want to just dig good tones. Case and point, skip over pennies but dig all the big coins, aluminum and foil. That method has found a dozen silver and gold necklaces, bracelets, and charms when I was hunting prime conditions and against other hunters.

Whatever you decide, tenancity is key to winning. Targets can be lost in any place. Your competition can miss a target by an inch and then you come by and find it. You just never know. =)
Fantastic how you described hunting a beach. Totally on point. Especially the tenacity part. Some ask me how I find so much. It's very important on having the right scoop for the job. But even more so , it's because I dig like a crazy fiend ! Though competition does play a part , it's more of me against the tides. You only have so much time. With that being said , we all miss targets. Just go back over the area you just grinded from a different angle !

I'm slowly cleaning out a spot of all of it's lead, I think..:lol: I really have a hard time passing this signal up..but figured when the place does open back up I won't have to deal with it later. Weird is I've yet to see anyone fishing there..
This is about 8 weeks of hunting this spot..maybe 30 hunts?

As far as other hunters, yet to see anyone but I know they are around the area..I've seen there holes at lowtide. But not where I'm hunting..So maybe a good investment for me removing them.

Attachments

• 329485_5.jpg
    329485_5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 318
I'm slowly cleaning out a spot of all of it's lead, I think..:lol: I really have a hard time passing this signal up..but figured when the place does open back up I won't have to deal with it later. Weird is I've yet to see anyone fishing there..
This is about 8 weeks of hunting this spot..maybe 30 hunts?

As far as other hunters, yet to see anyone but I know they are around the area..I've seen there holes at lowtide. But not where I'm hunting..So maybe a good investment for me removing them.
Man , that's a lot of sinkers. Could have been dumped by a barge ? Old fishing spot back in the day ? Maybe moved by a few storms. Whenever I've found a lot of weights , I have NEVER not found gold. You are on to an awesome spot I feel. Keep us posted. GL

Depending on circumstances I will leave the pennies for the next guy.

Could it be that the area you hunted is "sanded in"? Has it been re-nourished recently? The new sand may allow targets to sink below your detector's range.

Man , that's a lot of sinkers. Could have been dumped by a barge ? Old fishing spot back in the day ? Maybe moved by a few storms. Whenever I've found a lot of weights , I have NEVER not found gold. You are on to an awesome spot I feel. Keep us posted. GL
This maybe one of the best spots I've ever had even though it's sanded in right now. And I am sure your correct on the sinkers, old fishing spot in the day.

At the beach If my Xcal does not discriminate it out I dig it. Too many things for a gold ring to sound like for me to leave it in the sand. Yes I wind up with a lot of Felix pennies in my pouch but would rather have them than miss a gold ring.

Back
Top Bottom