• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett customer service... terrible!!

Bushman09

So first off I have to admit, I'm new to metal detecting. So I had no brand loyalty or any reason to pick one company over another. After reading a ton on here and elsewhere I decided to go with an ace 400, largely because I heard they worked good and were easy to use but also everyone races about the customer service. We'll after buying my first one about 3 weeks ago it started going haywire so I returned it to my local shop (who is an authorized dealer) at the urging of Garretts customer service. They wouldnt do anything... and while there he told me they now came with a free backpack so he took the broken one and ordered me a new one, with the backpack. I picked up my new detector 2 days ago and it works, but the backpack was missing. So i called my little local shop and asked about it, and he told me to call Garrett s customer service, I was told they fix everything... well for the second time, I was told nothing they can do. Just go return it. It's a minimum of 2 weeks till I'd get another one, but besides that, this is getting rediculas!! Their customer service is terrible! They literally won't do or deal with anything. I don't know why they even have the department! I like the detector, but I seriousl doubt they'd ever honor the warranty and after the first one went I'm thinking I might have to just return it and go with another company that will take care of its customers. And actually give you what you pay for..

If I'm understanding this correctly,you had bought a faulty ace 400 metal detector without a backpack.Garrett replaced it with a new working ace 400 without a backpack.....And your mad?Why?

I'm thinking the company did the right thing by replacing the faulty unit with a brand new one,,,,as for a backpack that was never part of your original purchase,that's on the dealer who told you that,not the Garrett company.I think he over spoke on something he had no control over,and that's his fault..But as for your machine,I think Garrett stood behind they're warranty don't you?

That is the first I've ever heard of anything bad about Garrett customer service...

Ever...

Good luck..

<°)))>{

To clarify, Garrett did nothing. Either time. They told me there was nothing they could do. My local hobby shop was nice enough to take it back and order me a new one, that was supposed to come with the bag. Once again Garrett said they couldn't do anything and to just return it to the store and try ordering it again from them or maybe another store. I guess thinking it was my little local hobby shops fault some how... but they refused to help with a broken detector a couple weeks after purchase, so I doubt they'd do anything a year from now....

Had a issue with a pin pointer one time, it took these forums to get the attention of the right person.

That is the first I've ever heard of anything bad about Garrett customer service...

Ever...

Good luck..

<°)))>{

The sponsors of the site are the best. I have used them religiously. As a new user I did not understand the process and was quick to call foul. But these companies and sponsors want you happy.

The backpacks are cool if its the extra long one. I would try to get with the sponsor again and dont take no for a answer. But if the vendor promised something that was not included, he should at least own it. These guys work hard to get us out detectors and accessory.

I hope you are enjoying the ace400 and it is getting you finds.

Buying from many dealers this is the process.
On new products if they go bad quickly,which is rare but does happen, you go back to the dealer who is the go between and will pack it up and send it back to the factory and the shipping cost is not your worry.
After a certain length of time the dealer would be out of it and you would have been told by the factory to ship it back to them...This time you will pay for shipping unless the factory will do it but that is not normal for most products even under warranty if enough time elapses.
It wasn't that they wouldn't do anything, they were just telling you the best process to get it back to them so it would not put you out any money or more than you already are.

As far as the dealer telling you that you would get a free back back just like if you would have walked in that day and got it new with the backpack premium included on new purchases well...He might have assumed that was going to happen but he spoke out of turn so blame him, not the company, if he was just guessing.
Any purchase on any product in any industry of any kind from any company would work the same way.
Buy a new product before a premium is added to the package for a limited time if you return that product for repair or replacement while the new program is in place not many expect to get in on the new deal.
Just chalk it up to bad timing.

Now if the dealer knew this backpack thing was going to be starting soon it would have been nice to tell you to wait to purchase but he might not have known.
It also would have been nice to do something extra for you since he told you to expect something that never came through and he got your hopes up, like a discount on an accessory or something, but in reality not all business owners are willing to go that extra mile to keep a customer happy.

Did he say he was sorry and he screwed up or did he place the blame all on the company for not sending the backpack?

If the company was at fault a good businessman would figure out a way to get you that premium if you deserved it, I am sure the company would have come through if they were at fault, but this scenario seems in all logical ways to have ended in the way it should have.
You got a new working unit to replace the bad one but missed out on the premium.

Blame somebody if you want but I don't think customer service at the manufacturer is where your anger should be aimed.

Agree Rawhide, I've heard nothing but the best about almost all of em. And maybe I did do something wrong along the way, not sure what but totally possible. I'm just not the kind of person that wants to fight that hard with people I don't even know... even if I am right, id rather deal with someone that wants to help rather than blame and push the burden to someone else. Just how I am personally...

Agree Rawhide, I've heard nothing but the best about almost all of em. And maybe I did do something wrong along the way, not sure what but totally possible. I'm just not the kind of person that wants to fight that hard with people I don't even know... even if I am right, id rather deal with someone that wants to help rather than blame and push the burden to someone else. Just how I am personally...

Initially and for all purposes you really didn't do anything wrong but listen to what people were telling you.
Then you got caught between a rock and a hard place.

I think the service people could have explained things a little clearer but not all companies have expert communicators in all divisions of their companies.
Nor do many retail businesses.

Talk to the dealer again...nicely, and ask if there is still something he can do for you.
The worst that will happen is he will say no.

And I'm kinda floored that so many think it's wrong to expect to get what I ordered?! The second detector was a totally separate transaction, in no way connected to the first. As of March 1 the backpack was free with the purchase. So why is it so wrong that I expect to get it when I buy a detecor after March 1? And I spoke to the store owner a bit ago, and he's behind me 100 %, agrees the distributor screwed it up. But he is willing to order a new one and swap it for me. Just think this is stupid to have to go thru just to get what I ordered.... anyways, thanks for the input guys. I like getting other viepoints, whether they agree with me or not!

Still don't think you started a whole new transaction, you got a replacement for a bad one.
Did you pay for the thing in February get a refund then pay again in March?
Whatever...
Learn your tool well and you will be able to many backpacks up the road that will cost you nothing but a little time and effort digging.

That's unusual, I've always had great experiences with their customer service.

Even sent me parts for a way out of warranty ATPro free of charge.

Hey first Garrett replaces your MD , and then your dealer offers to please you by ordering new so you get the bag . So your complaint is that everyone is helping you ! WOW :?:

garrett not so good on service

I am not impressed with them. I also don't own a VW but some people love 'em

shame on your dealer. hats off to garret. buy a new truck and 1 month later, $5000 rebate. they wont cut you a check. nothing against you. just saying. your dealer is a snake. garret didn't make that offer. your dealer did.

I have had 99% good experience with Garrett customer service and on more than one occasion they have went above and beyond what they were responsible for.
I agree with the others, this one is on your dealer IF he promised you a backpack with the replacement unit.
A recent experience I had similar to this, a few months back I bought a Teknetics T2 Classic from a forum sponsor. Got a great deal and got it fast. Less than a week later Teknetics announces a free 15" coil and rechargeable batteries and charger free with the purchase of the T2. I was a little jaded and got in touch with my dealer. Ends up he had no idea the deal was coming up when I purchased mine but he was willing to contact Teknetics and see if he could get me the deal. He did not have any luck so I called them myself. After a lengthy discussion they suggested I return the machine to my dealer and order a new one. I did not like that idea because it stuck my dealer with a machine that had been out in the field and used.
after a little light arm twisting and convincing, they agreed to send me the coil and battery set up free of charge.
Sometimes you just have to not accept no for an answer until you have exhausted all other means.

Yep , its not Garretts fault. I do understand the disappointment if you were hoping for a backpack , but technically it was the detector you paid for and Garrett made good on the deal at their end. As nice as the backpack may have been , I don't see how the lack of one reflects badly on Garrett. Your dealer should have been on top of that and made sure you got one even if he had to comp it to you himself.

As for their customer service , I have had nothing but good experience with them. But I imagine its still possible to catch someone on a bad day or get off on the wrong foot while speaking to them and not be fully understood. That sort of thing shouldn't happen , but even with the best intentions stuff can happen now and then.

Not saying this had anything to do with your particular experience , only to mention it and remind all reading this about certain courtesy when dealing with company representatives ,......speak clearly , be thorough , respectful , friendly. A few years back there was a person either on here or another forum who had a problem with his detector and from what he said in his post he called Garrett and was pushy and rude , really giving them the riot act because he had a problem with his detector....normally , Garrett is really generous and they go out of their way to keep their customers happy....sometimes they go way over and beyond their obligations.....but this guy got almost no cooperation at all :lol: It was actually pretty funny to see someone who was being a jerk to the company get so infuriated over the responses he got. Just as with any company , they are not required to take abuse from people , and they aren't required to go above and beyond for people being rude or disrespectful , or just not communicating effectively. Probably none of this applies to your situation , but its good to know anyway.

Back
Top Bottom