Platinum from the dirt! One of my best finds ever.

Jodo_Kast501

I was out at my university permission today and was digging a ridiculous number of pennies in hopes of some silver or something other than pennies. I dug 52 pennies to only 7 dimes. Ugh. But anyway, I hit an area I had hit before, but was skirting the edges and trying to get some newish or lightly detected ground under the coil. I got a strong 49–51 signal on the AT Pro, dug it, and out popped this platinum band.

I wasn't sure if was platinum, gold, or tungsten at first because the stamp has been somewhat worn down. When I got home, I looked with my loupe and saw the "PLAT" stamping. This sucker is dense! 7.2 grams, which is about $175 in melt at current prices. I still get excited when I think about it. Thanks for looking!

4jpEfuLl.jpg

4CBR4Lbl.jpg

JhNQkB0l.jpg

That's a super nice ring find. Congrats.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Awesome score! Still waiting for my first plat, thanks for sharinf the numbers it gave you, I thought a big ring like that might register higher on a machine. Congrats!

WOW!:wow: Big congratulations on finding that "honker" of a PLAT. Never found a platinum ring in water or on land....that there is a rarity!

I was out at my university permission today and was digging a ridiculous number of pennies in hopes of some silver or something other than pennies. I dug 52 pennies to only 7 dimes. Ugh. But anyway, I hit an area I had hit before, but was skirting the edges and trying to get some newish or lightly detected ground under the coil. I got a strong 49–51 signal on the AT Pro, dug it, and out popped this platinum band.

I wasn't sure if was platinum, gold, or tungsten at first because the stamp has been somewhat worn down. When I got home, I looked with my loupe and saw the "PLAT" stamping. This sucker is dense! 7.2 grams, which is about $175 in melt at current prices. I still get excited when I think about it. Thanks for looking!

4jpEfuLl.jpg

4CBR4Lbl.jpg

JhNQkB0l.jpg

Yep, 40% more dense than 14K.

Sweet find! It's worth about 18K in melt (that's how I calculate), but you can usually only get 90% for it. Expensive as heck to get melted down (Requires VERY high temps).

Enjoy the high!

Skippy

Another question for ya. Where was it located, in relation to the field you were working. Like was it on the edge, where someone would put it down, or in the middle-ish?

I would think edge, but it's also not uncommon for men's rings to be put into hats, and then when they grab their hat and put it on their head... FLING!

Especially true at Uni's. :)

Skippy

Another question for ya. Where was it located, in relation to the field you were working. Like was it on the edge, where someone would put it down, or in the middle-ish?

I would think edge, but it's also not uncommon for men's rings to be put into hats, and then when they grab their hat and put it on their head... FLING!

Especially true at Uni's. :)

Skippy

It was 3–4 feet off a paved walkway between two of the academic buildings. Maybe someone was swinging their arms as they walked? It wasn't really in a place where someone would have stopped to put it down. The walkway is a fairly high-traffic area, but the grassy spot where the ring was is not.

Back
Top Bottom