Ace 250 High Pitched sound

devros

Elite Member
I just got my ace 250 that I bought from a guy for $100. I however heard a high pitched sound coming from the unit, I thought someone else had this same problem. Does anyone know what is going on with the unit? it doesn't seem to be affected at all in function it's just really annoying. Any help with this issue would be great. thanks

Assuming you have fresh batteries I would suspect coil trouble.

Do you have 2 coils for the ACE? If you do see if the problem exists with both coils. If one is good and another bad then...

Examine the coil plugs that connect to the control box. I have had 3 coils go freaky now...actually 1 dead , 1 squeaky and 1 noisy as all hell but all useless. All of them have serious problems inside the connecting plugs.

Most have little or no metal left inside to connect to the plug pins on the control box. Its really a shame that they dont have an easy method to swap out such easily damaged parts. What should cost no more than a buck or two and a minute or less to replace is now a major pain for me in Japan.

I only have one coil, I think it might be in the speaker driver part of the circuit. It might very well be the coil, but it works, i can pass it over coins and it detects them fine enough, a little jumping around but i think it because its so close to the coil. I have held them away from the coil further and it seems to be right on. I will take it apart and have a look inside. I think it has to do with the speaker maybe the ground. but for 100 bucks and it still works, it's something i can put up with. it's not that loud it will go away with time and getting used to it. Just thought i would find a quick fix, i thought i read someplace here with someone with the same problem. i belong to so many forums it's had to keep track. thanks for the idea's i will check them out too, i want to make sure it's not the coil, i will take a tirp up to the local md shop and see if they will let me hook up another coil and see if it stops.

The Ace does make a constant noise. At least the ones I have had did, it is like a threshold sound that alot of detectors have when in all metal mode but can be heard on the Ace in any mode, you have to be really listening to it to hear it, its there but faint. Steve.

OH ok, I didn't know that, SkiWhiz, I like I said read someplace that someone else was having a problem with this. But when I plug in the headphones, it sound does not go into the headphones, but it is still there when the headphones are plugged in, like I said the sound is not in the headphones but still in the speaker, thats why I thought it might of been a ground on the speaker or something. Like I also said it doesn't seem to affect the performance, however I just got it today and have yet to go out and use it. I am getting ready now, I will show you guys what I find, I have major plans of finding some silver, even a couple of wheats would be nice. I know that I am going to get a lot better depth with the ace than my Bounty Hunter 505, I am going to send in the 505 and have them take a look at it since I don't believe it is getting the depth it should be. But the Ace50 will out depth the 505 any day I think, don't get me wrong I love the Bounty Hunter line, I just think it is time to move to something different and new. Thanks all for the help with the high pitch sound thing, I will let you guys know what I find.

Mine makes a high pitched whine too but it's very faint to me and outside I dont notice it... but as you get older your hearing goes out so you don't hear it so much.

My (younger) coworkers can hear that "mosquito" ring tone and I can't. It's one of those things.

It shouldnt make any noise at all unless its hitting a target so , no it is not normal. Sounds like there is some problem. Mine is absolutely silent until picking up a target. Those of you who have a constant threshold type sound should check into what problem might be causing it.

I sent in an email to the company and he responded with this, it is his email back to me. Man I kind of thought if if could hear sarcsam in the email I heard it in his.

Hello Tom,

The noise that you are hearing is a noise that the electronics is producing. There is no way for us to eliminate that, only thing I can suggest is to wear a pair of headphones that has volume control on it and that will cut down on the noise. I hope this suggestion works, please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Didn't give any reason why other than it the electronics, and yea I know that much. But it was just kind of abrubt and rude I thought, but maybe it's that time of month for me or something. But I don't think it should make a sound either, I think it is a ground problem. Ground issues with cause a whine sound, it is the same thing in your car and you dont get a good ground it can hear the whine if the engine, well it's not exactly the same but simalar so that everyone can understand the ground thing. Thats my thought on that, and thats hall I have to say about that.

I don't know if I'm reading this right, but are you saying that you are still getting a noise from the speaker, even when the headphones are plugged in ?

I don't know if I'm reading this right, but are you saying that you are still getting a noise from the speaker, even when the headphones are plugged in ?
Yes, thats right. I still get the whine when the headphones are plugged in. I can't hear it in the headphones but I can hear it in the speaker no matter what.

Yes, thats right. I still get the whine when the headphones are plugged in. I can't hear it in the headphones but I can hear it in the speaker no matter what.
You know what talking with the wife just now, I know what it is. I think that it is a capacitor going bad. I think that is what it is, I know that on my computer power supplies you can hear them go bad like that. They start to go bad and then poof its done. Maybe thats what it is. I really don't know but if it goes i'm sure that I can fix it. But it works just fine, I found a 57 wheatie tonight about 6 to 7 inches down and a few other pennies and dimes and a quarter, so it's finding coins just fine.

I did notice that if i unplug the standard coil that came with it the noise goes away. So I think that maybe it's something to do with the ground on the coil. I will use it until it pukes. I'm sure that I will come across a good deal on a Ace250 coil soon. I like those once in a lifetime deals. I come across those all the time, so I guess it's not really a "once in a lifetime find" then is it. Soooo it's a all the life time find. LOL thanks for watching guys.

I sent in an email to the company and he responded with this, it is his email back to me. Man I kind of thought if if could hear sarcsam in the email I heard it in his.

Hello Tom,

The noise that you are hearing is a noise that the electronics is producing. There is no way for us to eliminate that, only thing I can suggest is to wear a pair of headphones that has volume control on it and that will cut down on the noise. I hope this suggestion works, please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Didn't give any reason why other than it the electronics, and yea I know that much. But it was just kind of abrubt and rude I thought, but maybe it's that time of month for me or something. But I don't think it should make a sound either, I think it is a ground problem. Ground issues with cause a whine sound, it is the same thing in your car and you dont get a good ground it can hear the whine if the engine, well it's not exactly the same but simalar so that everyone can understand the ground thing. Thats my thought on that, and thats hall I have to say about that.

I would contact them again and maybe talk to somebody else. If its under warranty then they are duty bound to solve the problem , if its not under warranty then there is still a chance they might offer something just as good P.R. Ya might even think about telling the company what this person said and how that sounds a bit sarcastic , it might just make them want to make up for it ya never know. It is not supposed to be making that sound, even without headphones and with the sensitivity all the way up.

Correcting some mis-information about the ACE 250

I just got my ace 250 that I bought from a guy for $100. I however heard a high pitched sound coming from the unit, I thought someone else had this same problem. Does anyone know what is going on with the unit? it doesn't seem to be affected at all in function it's just really annoying.
The ACE 250 does not make a constant noise. It is dead quiet in normal operation and only emits tones when sweeping over a target.
Are you sure you have a factory stock ACE coil on the unit?
If plugging in headphones doesn't mute the speaker, you have a jack or wiring problem.
Was the unit possibly rigged up by someone before you bought it?
Is the control box water damaged or have battery corrosion?
Was the unit as-is, or represented as a good working machine?

It shouldnt make any noise at all unless its hitting a target so , no it is not normal. Sounds like there is some problem. Mine is absolutely silent until picking up a target. Those of you who have a constant threshold type sound should check into what problem might be causing it.

As its not threshold based there shouldnt be any sound from it.Dont know what to suggest but it does seem like there is a problem.No sound from mine till it hits.

Back
Top Bottom