Yooperlite Rock

yooper69

Elite Member
thumbnail.jpg

Yooperlight Rock.jpg These rocks are found along the shores of lake superior. When you shine a black UV light on them they glow . Went for a walk along the shore the other night around midnight with my light and it was like being the movie Avatar with the glowing forest. Me and a friend gathered over a 100 in about a hour. Pretty neat so I thought I would share. Thanks for looking

Wow! Never knew of such things...gonna take my black light flashlight that came with the cat pee cleanup kit next time I go up!

As you can see here, I also have the passion for finding Lake Superior rocks in addition to detecting..... carry on brother!

Attachments

• DSCN0202 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCN0202 (1024x768).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,293
I had never heard of that before but now I have to go and get one...added to the bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

I read about those when the story broke just recently. New rock...Yooperlite...it glows under UV light.
First, I thought of you, Yooper69, and wondered if you were on it. Question answered.
Then, I got overwhelmed trying to decide what the best UV flashlight would be for them, without spending big bucks on it, so I can go find some.
Then I started questioning my thinking of driving that far for rock hunting; even if they do glow under blacklight.
Anyway, I never did arrive at a conclusion as to what a good light would be. They say the glowing parts are sodalite; which apparently glows under short wave UV, but "glows best" under long wave UV. Then all the rock & gem website recommend short wave UV for most purposes. Either way, they say get one with a UV pass filter.
Anyway, very cool. Glad you posted this.

Man is that cool or what! Had some big waves and wind friday night huh? Might have tipped a few more up for you!

Just got home. Took the wife and kids we came home with 36 more. 96 total for two trips. Still saving the the best spot for you and your better half.:D

I read about those when the story broke just recently. New rock...Yooperlite...it glows under UV light.
First, I thought of you, Yooper69, and wondered if you were on it. Question answered.
Then, I got overwhelmed trying to decide what the best UV flashlight would be for them, without spending big bucks on it, so I can go find some.
Then I started questioning my thinking of driving that far for rock hunting; even if they do glow under blacklight.
Anyway, I never did arrive at a conclusion as to what a good light would be. They say the glowing parts are sodalite; which apparently glows under short wave UV, but "glows best" under long wave UV. Then all the rock & gem website recommend short wave UV for most purposes. Either way, they say get one with a UV pass filter.
Anyway, very cool. Glad you posted this.
. Have three small UV lights now and ordered a big one which should be here the end of next week. You should be able to find them in your area to they are on land also not just the shore line. Remember all these minerals and the copper were moved by the glaciers. And you have copper there . I am only a hour from the state line. I have found it while in Wisconsin for work.

Just got home. Took the wife and kids we came home with 36 more. 96 total for two trips. Still saving the the best spot for you and your better half.:D

Hey! That had to have been a blast for your Girls! I like the description of the glowing forest at night in Avatar...Along the same lines... I wonder what a Bears or Mooses eyes look like at night with a blacklight? I'm sure you will be letting us know!:laughing:

UV lights make the best chargers for glow jigs for ice fishing.. I have a few myself..

The one made by Venom is only $10, waterproof, and takes one AA battery.. It'd work perfect for that...

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20161027_095100.jpg
    IMG_20161027_095100.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,067
UV lights make the best chargers for glow jigs for ice fishing.. I have a few myself..

The one made by Venom is only $10, waterproof, and takes one AA battery.. It'd work perfect for that...

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing!

<°)))>{

I was looking at those..but figured it was too small to light up a big stretch of beach...? Also looking at ice fishing tents...like a black spearing tent? So a guy could cut the entire bottom out of it, wear it over his head, walk around and hunt for Yooperlites in the daytime! :laughing: Really..I did think of this!:laughing:

Yeah...

Wind would be your biggest challenge to that idea...:lol:

Well yeah, that and getting shot!...Imagine somebody seeing a damned old ice tent wandering aimlessly down the beach in the broad daylight? In the Upper Peninsula? With an eerie blue glow from a blacklight emitting from the bottom? Like its gotta be a possessed portashidder or some sort of alien 'ground kite' or something?

I know what I would think! ..."WTH is an ice spearing house doing wandering around out here on the beach in the broad daylight?" Does it have rabies? Is it demonized? I'd open up on it in self defense! BOOM! All sorts of drawbacks, but I DID consider the concept! I bet it would work though..Like you said, if the wind was light....

I should probably patent a 'daytime Yooperlite folding hunting tent'...probably could sell the hell out of them to next seasons tourists! ...nobody likes to be out in the dark up there!...the bugs are horrible! :laughing:

Oh man I might have to make the drive up there to try this. Any suggestions on the best light to buy to do this?

Oh man I might have to make the drive up there to try this. Any suggestions on the best light to buy to do this?

Brightest one you can find. I have been using just a small one but if you go after dark and go in the right area you will find some . Just tape it to a small light weight pole about 3-4 feet long and swing it like your detector it saves your back.

Back
Top Bottom