Cabarrus County, NC

junkdrunk

Forum Supporter
Hey guys just curious to see if anyone has ever detected parks / public areas in Cabarrus or surrounding counties in NC. I know Mecklenburg (charlotte) is pretty strict about MD'ing.

Thanks!
hh

-j

Metal detecting in Cabarrus County

I wanted to check out a few County owned parks. I contacted the right people and they said it would be ok as long as I didn't leave holes. The park at Camp Spencer didn't turn up much.

Man I live in Belmont and Hunt Charlotte Gastonia Mount Holly Denver and I have never had a single problem in any park in Charlotte or any of those places

junkdrunk, just curious where you got this "strict" information ? In lieu of :
http://www.charmeck.org/mecklenburg...FacilitiesOrdinanceasamended9.15.09147991.pdf

Section 5. Second page. No dig. No disturb.

I've spoken to several park rangers and employees about this and I'm sure there's plenty of people doing without a permit or permission and probably just as many not getting caught. But that's what puts a bad taste in people's mouths about the hobby and why I've tried very hard to speak to as many people as possible to broaden the respect and ecouragement for the hobby.

On various occasions I certainly have gained limited permission to search for recently lost rings. If someone else has different sources of information please let me know so I can stay informed.

Thanks and happy hunting!

-j

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

http://www.charmeck.org/mecklenburg...FacilitiesOrdinanceasamended9.15.09147991.pdf

Section 5. Second page. No dig. No disturb.

I've spoken to several park rangers and employees about this ....

junkdrunk, thanx for linking to where you got the info. I notice there's nothing "specific" there. Ie.: nothing saying "no metal detecting". Instead you are thrown for a loop with the boiler plate "dig" "disturb" type stuff. And so you go ask "can I?" And sure enough: Someone give you the "safe" answer that this means "no metal detecting".

Well I got some bad news for you: SO TOO does such verbiage exist (in some form or fashion) in EVERY SINGLE park in the USA. Eg.: "Alter", "vandalize", "deface", "harvest", "remove" etc.... If those, of necessity, mean "no md'ing", then we are all sunk :( Yet as you can see, the forums are FILLED with show & tell by people who (gasp) got their finds from parks. How can this be ? :?:

And sure: if I walk into any of these places like you did, saying "yoohoo, does apply to me ? Can I *dig* in the park please?" Guess what they're going to say ?

Oh sure, now and then someone in a good mood might say "as long as you cover your spot and leave no trace". But guaranteed, I can walk into that SAME office the next day, and get an entirely different answer. In other words: All you have done is play Russian Roulette with personal whims and moods.

All such words like "alter" and "disturb" INHERENTLY refer to the end result. Ie.: if you leave no trace, then technically you haven't alterED or disturbED anything. Yes I know that if the word "dig" appears, that's more problematic. I will comment on that if you like.

If it is a No No in Charlotte they must not enforce it. Atleast the parks that I have been to.

Shame on you critik. With the new revelation of how loathsome you are, I'm sure your conscience is stricken with grief :( Tsk tsk. But not to worry: I will absolve your conscience all guilt ! Just box up all your ill-gotten gains and send them to me. I will make sure they go through the proper channels. Tsk tsk.

In future, you must walk into city halls wherever you go, making sure it's ok. And don't content yourself with the first "yes" that you get. Because maybe that lowly desk clerk "didn't have the authority" . You must continue up and up the ladder till you personally talk to the mayor and city attorney (after all, you "can't be too safe"). Then get them to put that in writing. Ok, hurry, do the right thing !

I've hunted a few parks in Charlotte. Mostly tot lots. I was in one park and the grounds guy told me we weren't supposed to hunt in the parks, but he didn't see any problem with me being in the tot lots. I hunted in Freedom Park one time, back in my 1st days of 'tectin , but I went when it was a light drizzly day when no one was there. That's when I put a ziplock Baggie and duct tape on the 250. Once I got soaked and cold, I left. Got a bunch o clad.
I talked to a guy that used to hunt with a bunch of guys back in the 70's and 80's, he said they would hunt the parks and schools, and then they ran them out, told them it wasn't allowed. My guess is that 'tectin became a thing of the past and they disappeared for a while. Now we're coming back out and a lot of people don't know about the old rules, or they're not going to say anything until it becomes an issue again. It's best to be careful and respectful and we may be able to keep squeezing a few finds from the parks.
The old fellow I talked With was a great guy, I kept asking him if he'd like to go out one day, I'd like to have learned a few things from him, I never got to even see his detectors, he mentioned a few I never even heard of. He had COPD , so it was real hard for him to even get around in his house without giving out of breath.
Anyway, long story short, good luck out there, maybe one day, me , you and Critik, and anyone else around here can find a place big enough for us to get together for a small group hunt. What'cha say ?

Shame on you critik. With the new revelation of how loathsome you are, I'm sure your conscience is stricken with grief :( Tsk tsk. But not to worry: I will absolve your conscience all guilt ! Just box up all your ill-gotten gains and send them to me. I will make sure they go through the proper channels. Tsk tsk.

In future, you must walk into city halls wherever you go, making sure it's ok. And don't content yourself with the first "yes" that you get. Because maybe that lowly desk clerk "didn't have the authority" . You must continue up and up the ladder till you personally talk to the mayor and city attorney (after all, you "can't be too safe"). Then get them to put that in writing. Ok, hurry, do the right thing !

:yes: YES SIR!

I've hunted a few parks in Charlotte. Mostly tot lots. I was in one park and the grounds guy told me we weren't supposed to hunt in the parks, but he didn't see any problem with me being in the tot lots. I hunted in Freedom Park one time, back in my 1st days of 'tectin , but I went when it was a light drizzly day when no one was there. That's when I put a ziplock Baggie and duct tape on the 250. Once I got soaked and cold, I left. Got a bunch o clad.
I talked to a guy that used to hunt with a bunch of guys back in the 70's and 80's, he said they would hunt the parks and schools, and then they ran them out, told them it wasn't allowed. My guess is that 'tectin became a thing of the past and they disappeared for a while. Now we're coming back out and a lot of people don't know about the old rules, or they're not going to say anything until it becomes an issue again. It's best to be careful and respectful and we may be able to keep squeezing a few finds from the parks.
The old fellow I talked With was a great guy, I kept asking him if he'd like to go out one day, I'd like to have learned a few things from him, I never got to even see his detectors, he mentioned a few I never even heard of. He had COPD , so it was real hard for him to even get around in his house without giving out of breath.
Anyway, long story short, good luck out there, maybe one day, me , you and Critik, and anyone else around here can find a place big enough for us to get together for a small group hunt. What'cha say ?
I will find a nice crop field for us to hunt so we can get a couple large cents and maybe a reale or two

LOCAL Parks ...

i have detected Lincoln county, Gaston county, Cleveland county, Catawba county, and some Rowan county parks with no complaints. I hunt Lincolnton Maiden & Denver fairly regularly. I don't hunt Mecklenburg mostly because I'm usually by myself when I'm in the Charlotte area. Not good to be unaware of your surroundings...

.... with no complaints....

So you take this to mean it's ok, eh ? On the contrary: Go to various pencil pushers administering any land in their scope (parks, schools, beaches, forest, etc...). And ask "Can I ?". Be sure to use words like "dig", "holes", "lawsuit", "indian bones", and "cultural heritage" in your question. Then put a search and salvage permission agreement in front of them to sign (hey, can't be too safe after all).

Once you've done that, report back to us if you're still good-to-go with no complaints :roll: :laughing:

Reassurance

Heehee. - they really like the indemnification and hold harmless clause in my just sign your name and official title here written permission template :laughing:

Seriously, I appreciate the op's desire to "do the right thing"

...just want to encourage his confidence in hunting public property without undue fear...his rights are just as valid as anyone else using the public space

Are you defacing anything - NO
Are you destroying anything - NO
Are you creating any hazards - NO
Are you infringing on anyone's freedoms - NO
Are you littering - NO

1. Go hunt
2. Be respectful
3. Leave kit better than you found it

Old thread here but are any of you still interested in hunting these areas? I live in Gaston co.

I don't live there, but I see you and him are from NC. With a potentially Cat 4 Hurricane coming toward NC, please stay safe and evacuate if you are called to.

Back
Top Bottom