Help! New AT Pro 5X8 Coil Ghosting Targets

You mentioned the "ghost" signals only being audible in Pro mode. Please take a look at this scan of an AT Pro manual page in this thread:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=176937
Note where it says that Pro mode is additionally sensitive, and that it is possible to hear deep targets that do not register a target ID.
My experience has been that the 5x8 coil does not quite get the depth of the 9x11 and is very useful in a first or second pass over an area, and to clear out trashy areas, but then you need to go over the area again with the stock coil to find out about those deeper targets. Since the 5x8 doesn't go as deep, you will get more signals where the AT Pro can't tell the target ID.
Also, I've found that the 5x8 is more sensitive to smaller shallow targets such as teeny pins and screws, bird shot and BB's, and other things that are tough if not impossible to find in the hole. A magnet can help with some of these, patience is needed for the rest. ;) If it is making you nuts, reducing senstivity will make a difference as well.

Abbynormal, I think you, kickindirt and ohiochris are all correct. I did go out to a well pounded park and ran the sensitivity all way back to zero. After a good manual ground balance I started a measured course with absolutely no signals, audio or visual. I swung the course a number of times, adjusting the sensitivity up a bar each lap until the ghost images started to sound off then I started backing off the sensitivity until they stopped. I had been running at 2 bars down on sensitivity and when the ghosting stopped I was down 5 bars. Then I left the measured course and within a few seconds scored a dime at about 4 inches. I suppose the 5X8 is just more sensitive to surface targets than the 8 1/2 X 11 and lacks the depth to clearly identify deeper targets. I think I can run it 5 bars down and make adjustments as I get used to it. Thanks for the help...it is appreciated.

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH outback/CT hand held

Sounds like you are on the road to getting it figured out. It seems to fit the analogy of driving in the fog with your headlights on high beam...too much power for the conditions and hence the falsing. Let us know how it progresses along with backing down your sensitivity, I think you will find that is the answer and it will become your favorite coil, instead of Casper the friendly ghost! Best of Luck.

LittleJohn

I get false'ing/ghost signals when I run my ground balance hot. That is to say I ground balance and then manually turn it down 5 numbers. When I do this I get more ghost signals. If you're not ground balanced correctly it will false more.

I get false'ing/ghost signals when I run my ground balance hot. That is to say I ground balance and then manually turn it down 5 numbers. When I do this I get more ghost signals. If you're not ground balanced correctly it will false more.

Thanks Detector, I usually just do a automatic ground balance with a few bumps and it works good with the large coil...anyway, I suppose it does but I'm not rich yet:lol: This time I did a factory reset, manual GB by the book along with the sensitivity reset and it seems to be working much better. I'll be going to a much more cluttered beach park this P.M. and will post the results of the search....Appreciate your input :hi5:

AT Pro/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

AT Pro Instructional video I was just watching at around 8:50, the narrator says, "It's important to understand, that the AT Pro's detection depth can exceed target ID depth. In other words, you will sometimes hear faint, deeper targets that do not provide any target ID."

Hope this helps,

Papa

I watched my DVD and in the instructional hunt the guy using the ATP found a 3 ring dropped CW bullet in a cornfield. When the other Gent hunting with him asked what was the VDI he replied there was no VDI because it was deep

I readjust my GB every time I adjust the sensitivity. I've noticed a few falsies if I don't.

If it is past the i.d. point yet you get a good audio response, dig it! :yes:

Like most of us using just about any detectors, in my case at least and evidently many others that posted here, I always go more by the sounds and repeatable tones than screen information.

Here is a vid using your set up that illustrates this and might be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom