New Here/Recommendations?

JCOLEW

HI all, my name is Julian and I am new here. I am also relatively new to metal detecting! I have about $1,000 dollars lying around and want to get a good detector. I've been running off a couple of cheap, weekend hobbyist hand-me-downs from relatives and wanna treat my metal right. Any recommendations? I've been leaning towards either the Garrett AT Gold or Fisher F75 (maybe the ltd version, but that's pushing price if I still wanna stay in my $1,000 budget after some extra equipment...)

Any opinions or recommendations are welcome! Thanks!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Some of the detectorists experienced with those and other high end models can offer ideas, one thing that helps them to offer ideas is to know what type of detecting you'll be doing, just dry land, or also in water and at beaches.

:mder: ____ :mder: ____ :mder: ____ :mder:

Primarily, I will be doing dry land and shallow water detecting. I'd say about a 90% dry/10% water split.

Welcome. Why not wait for the Minelab Equniox reviews coming shortly...it may be worth the wait and see.

This model has been making headlines in our hobby. I sure am going to wait for the reviews sounds good so far.. hh

For any water detecting at all, I would go atpro, atmax, or equinox.

Welcome to the forum from snowy Western NY :fmdfwelcome:

:snowballfight::snowtruck::snowshovel:

Welcome from SW Pa. AT Pro or AT Max. Great machines and you will have plenty left over for pointer and other things. Good luck Mark

Welcome from SW WI,

So if your hunting water even 10% of the time I'd recommend a waterproof machine, just so if you accidentally loose control (with the intentions of just dipping coil) and your coil go into the drink you don't kill it.

In my opinion, its the ATPro or ATMax at this time, simply because, the Equinox may not be released until February. I Do think the Equinox would be a better machine however, you need to ask yourself if you want to be one of the first owners and help them work their bugs out. LOL

Hello from Western Australia! Sounds like an At-Pro would suite you, I'd suggest you go to a dealer that sells atpro's and ask if you can take it for a test run around the premises. Good luck :)

Welcome. Why not wait for the Minelab Equniox reviews coming shortly...it may be worth the wait and see.

This model has been making headlines in our hobby. I sure am going to wait for the reviews sounds good so far.. hh

^This^. Equinox is only about a month away so might be worth checking out if you're not in a hurry. Otherwise the AT-series should work for your needs.

Welcome from central MA! You have many options...the whites MX sport is a very good choice, or the AT gold.. Being completely waterproof... Very easy detectors to use as well, almost turn on and go even...sounds like a good starting point...although considered mid to high range type detectors, at least you wont want to upgrade in a couple months...good luck and keep us posted!!

I have been studying the Equinox 800 for some time now and everything about it looks more and more promising... BUT, with that said, it is quite the price for me. I am a college student and don't have anything more than a contract job for $13 an hour. Yes, it IS technically within my price range, but it will leave me no money for a pinpointer/better headphones/anything else really within that $1,000. ALSO, as a fairly inexperienced detector, I don't really see myself being a good candidate for a (basically) prototype detector.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the AT Max. For slightly lower than the price of the Equinox, I can get the Max as well as a pinpointer and headphones. Plus, I'll actually be able to use it within the next month instead of waiting for the preorder to ship. But before I do that, is the Max my best bet?

Like I've said, I'm still pretty new to detecting and want the best for my money. I will be doing basically all dry land detecting with a little bit of river detecting every once in a while. I mainly am looking for the basics: silver coins, gold, jewelry, relics... I'm looking for a solid all around detector that will last me a long time. I don't want to feel the need for an upgrade in a year... All of your help has been incredible!

You do know about the Equinox 600, right? $649 and basically the same as the 800 minus 20kHz/40kHz gold mode and wireless headphones.

Just another option to consider. I’m sure the Max would work well for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying this is what you should get, but maybe this video might help you decide if the AT Max will fit what detecting you want to do.

You can always search for and look at videos of other models of detectors that you are deciding between before you actually decide for sure.

AT MAX Instructional Video Part 1 of 3 (US Version)

I'd really like the Equinox. If only I can be patient. Does anyone know an approximate time for ship dates? I tried to call Minelab earlier but no answer. I'm hearing several people claim late January...

They are EXPECTING to begin filling orders late January. Finding a machine that is the “jack of all trades” and for it TO BE GOOD AT IT...it’s a tall order. I suggest(unless you are steadfastly thinking otherwise) that you start EASY...with coin hunting. They are a specific shape,made out of a specific material,and are the easiest thing to find that are “of value”. Gold hunting is a COMPLETELY different discipline,whether it be nugget hunting or jewelry hunting. Getting to know the machine will be paramount,and for a beginner,a machine with a gentle learning curve may be best.
All that being said,I don’t know what to recommend. Just keep these things in mind so you’re not putting the hobby firmly in the closet for good within the first two weeks.

You could also get a gently used detector, there's some excellent deals to be had on mid and top tier machines if you look around...especially this time of year. This will leave you money for a new pinpointer, new headphones and digger...and still have $200-$300 left from your $1000 budget.

Back
Top Bottom