Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Notices

Old 11-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Default beginner settings minelab 705

was hopeing to get some info from you all on the 705. I'm picking one up Friday and was hopeing you all could give me some tips on getting it set up from the start for a beginner

Old 11-28-2013, 04:11 AM
Elite Member

Default Understanding Your Xterra.

If you join the Minelab website and go into the members section, you will find an E-book. It's a free Download! It was written by Randy (Digger) Horton, He is the Xterra Guru! Reading the Manual and the E-book over and over I think is far better than messing around here. Read the books a couple times then go out and hunt. Remember or write down Problems or issues you have, then refer to the Books. I was told to use the Factory programs Until I had an understanding of the MD. Then After reading the manual and E-book again, to use the 705 OTB, to get a decent feel for the machine. THEN make your changes One at a time seeing exactly what each change does and understanding it before you make another and another! Otherwise you have no Idea what is and is not working! The 705 is a good MD! That's the best advice I can give you.... GL & HH.....Pat

Old 11-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Elite Member

Pat's advice is good.
Read the e-book, get the machine and start with the manual's startup instructions, then go to the field and get busy. It's not a difficult machine by any means. There is no magic "setup" for beginners. Just use the Auto features until you get familiar enough with it to do otherwise.

GL & HH!

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

swung mine for 6 months or so and I run all metal and 4 tones with GB Tracking turned on ... Ground balance the hit the tracking button then do the EMI noise cancelation and swing slow and low ... if it's going crazy turn down the sensitivity till it's stable