Hi from the UP of michigan

My buddy who is 78 and been detecting this area over 35 years has compared a two box to his whites 5900 and had more depth penetration with his 5900 .

Yes. The depth that a 2-box unit gets on a jar-sized item, and the depth that a standard machine gets on a jar-sized item (assuming hunting in all-metal) is about the same. The only advantage that the 2-box affords, in those cases, is they don't hear all the smaller stuff. So for example, if the "float copper" you are able to get there, also comes in annoying pebble size particles (and you prefer the "12 inch" stuff), then that's where a 2-box becomes a discriminator-of-sorts.

You can also sort of use your ears to discern little vs big, and maybe accomplish the same thing, in some environments.

Have to agree with everyone else that a PI machine in the Copper Country will probably put your sanity to a test in a real hurry. Even a cheap Bounty Hunter will hit on good chuck of float copper from 2 feet away. I have a piece at home about the size of my fist I'll have to air test sometime but I'm willing to bet I can get that at 2 1/2 - 3 foot easy on the ATPro. There is still alot of copper in the ground up there. An old friend from High School works for the water company up there still and when I was there a couple years ago he had a few chunks of float copper in the back of his trucks that were 20-30 pounds each that he found while digging up mains at houses in Ahmeek. That wasn't even using a detector. I think he also has an old Garrett Grandmaster or something and found a couple grand worth or float just in an area near his house. Best find I've seen though was before I enlisted and moved out of the area in the 90's. A friend of mines uncle was out with a detector and pulled 2 pieces out of the ground (believe it was in the woods near Mandan if I recall correctly, could of very well lied about the location, I know I would have) but 1 piece was like 1400 pounds and the other 7 or 800 pounds. Needed to get a guy with a skidder to get it out of there. Nice payday for him. Wish I was still back up there, one of these years I'll need to head back just to detect, and maybe visit my family as well. But have to do it in the summer, heard you were getting some snow up there lately and with the kind of snow you are getting don't think they make a machine deep enough to get through that.

The issue you will have is small float copper. Your in the middle of nowhere from what it sounds like so trash shouldn’t be a issue. As long as there isn’t a ton of B.B. size copper I would assume the gpx would be the way to go since it’s a pi designed for nugget hunting. It will be more sensitive to the small bits and pieces though that you 5900 may be passing right over. But I would have to assume it will hit stuff way deeper then the 5900. Another you may want to look into is the atx. Now I’ve never swung these detectors or looked for float metals so this is all just assumption so take it for what it’s worth.

Have to agree with everyone else that a PI machine in the Copper Country will probably put your sanity to a test in a real hurry. Even a cheap Bounty Hunter will hit on good chuck of float copper from 2 feet away. I have a piece at home about the size of my fist I'll have to air test sometime but I'm willing to bet I can get that at 2 1/2 - 3 foot easy on the ATPro. There is still alot of copper in the ground up there. An old friend from High School works for the water company up there still and when I was there a couple years ago he had a few chunks of float copper in the back of his trucks that were 20-30 pounds each that he found while digging up mains at houses in Ahmeek. That wasn't even using a detector. I think he also has an old Garrett Grandmaster or something and found a couple grand worth or float just in an area near his house. Best find I've seen though was before I enlisted and moved out of the area in the 90's. A friend of mines uncle was out with a detector and pulled 2 pieces out of the ground (believe it was in the woods near Mandan if I recall correctly, could of very well lied about the location, I know I would have) but 1 piece was like 1400 pounds and the other 7 or 800 pounds. Needed to get a guy with a skidder to get it out of there. Nice payday for him. Wish I was still back up there, one of these years I'll need to head back just to detect, and maybe visit my family as well. But have to do it in the summer, heard you were getting some snow up there lately and with the kind of snow you are getting don't think they make a machine deep enough to get through that.
The biggest last year that I seen was 7200 pounds it was over six feet long

The issue you will have is small float copper. Your in the middle of nowhere from what it sounds like so trash shouldn’t be a issue. As long as there isn’t a ton of B.B. size copper I would assume the gpx would be the way to go since it’s a pi designed for nugget hunting. It will be more sensitive to the small bits and pieces though that you 5900 may be passing right over. But I would have to assume it will hit stuff way deeper then the 5900. Another you may want to look into is the atx. Now I’ve never swung these detectors or looked for float metals so this is all just assumption so take it for what it’s worth.

My 5900 will pick pencil eraser size at close to a foot or i can discriminate them out. Depending on ground conditions. I mainly use the 5900 but have used a couple other machines a mine lab that one of the older guys that hunts with us couldn't figure it out after he bought it so I took it out figured it out for him but the 5900 still got more depth. Think he paid around 2000 for it don't remember the model. I had bought a makro jeo tech deepseeker took it out and in the first 10 minutes found a 50 pounder and thought great machine then the rest of the summer couldn't find squat with it . Went back over the same ground with 5900 and done well I will just say I spent the rest of that summer going back to the same area and still going back. I just want something that goes deeper.

I have been looking at the package for the gpx 4500 on the Kellyco site. Any thought on this for my type of detecting or is there a better option. 3000 is a lot of money to guessing at on my end

My 5900 will pick pencil eraser size at close to a foot or i can discriminate them out. Depending on ground conditions. I mainly use the 5900 but have used a couple other machines a mine lab that one of the older guys that hunts with us couldn't figure it out after he bought it so I took it out figured it out for him but the 5900 still got more depth. Think he paid around 2000 for it don't remember the model. I had bought a makro jeo tech deepseeker took it out and in the first 10 minutes found a 50 pounder and thought great machine then the rest of the summer couldn't find squat with it . Went back over the same ground with 5900 and done well I will just say I spent the rest of that summer going back to the same area and still going back. I just want something that goes deeper.

A lot of minelabs are geared towards coin shooting. But the bigger stuff shouldn’t be a issue. I have a ctx and it hits copper scrap hard. I assume it would do great with the float copper but I would run it wide open.

I have been looking at the package for the gpx 4500 on the Kellyco site. Any thought on this for my type of detecting or is there a better option. 3000 is a lot of money to guessing at on my end

That’s where I bought my very first detector. Never again... Now that your a forum member here call and talk to a few of the sponsors of the forum and tell them you are a member of this forum and that’s how you heard about them. You may have to call a few but you will get some great deals with out any of the “package” unusable junk you don’t need. It wouldn’t hurt to pick their brain on what your looking for either before buying.

Back
Top Bottom