New Here/Recommendations?

You could also get a gently used detector, there's some excellent deals to be had on mid and top tier machines if you look around...especially this time of year. This will leave you money for a new pinpointer, new headphones and digger...and still have $200-$300 left from your $1000 budget.

“Pay the price,get your tickets for the show!” Top ten all time rock albums...

Good point Captain. Another point is that this first machine will be the introduction to detecting,so it has to be a great hunter,yet not so complex it’s mind numbing. A good mentor would really be a great idea to avoid this...:dash2:

HI all, my name is Julian and I am new here. I am also relatively new to metal detecting! I have about $1,000 dollars lying around and want to get a good detector. I've been running off a couple of cheap, weekend hobbyist hand-me-downs from relatives and wanna treat my metal right. Any recommendations? I've been leaning towards either the Garrett AT Gold or Fisher F75 (maybe the ltd version, but that's pushing price if I still wanna stay in my $1,000 budget after some extra equipment...)

Any opinions or recommendations are welcome! Thanks!

i would recommend the garret at pro... its a really good detector but not 1,500 hundred bucks. Also get the garret pro pointer, a must have. happy hunting from The Lone Star State Of Texas.

I started out with the at pro after getting back into the hobby. I had used an old whites coinmaster before that. The at pro is very easy to use in fact it's the easiest I have ever swung. I had pretty good luck with it as well mostly coin and ring hunting. I would recommend either the at pro or waiting for the equinox 600 as it sounds very promising. It looks to be as good as the at pro at the very least and has potential to be one of the best new detectors on the market at that price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'd really like the Equinox. If only I can be patient. Does anyone know an approximate time for ship dates? I tried to call Minelab earlier but no answer. I'm hearing several people claim late January...

Go thru one of the site sponsors, Look all the way to the top RIGHT above where you log in for the "List All Sponsors" link, Lots of trustworthy and VERY helpful guys there and they will get you the best deal.

As for machines? Ive used AT-Pro, AT-Gold and AT-Max along with my Whites MXT PRO (Dry land only machine) AT-Gold isnt as good at getting silver as the AT-Pro. The Pro LOVES silver. AT-Gold is better a gold obviously and the AT-Max. Have yet to get enough time in the right spot for gold and silver but so far it does seem a deeper seeking machine. They are all 100% submersible with the exception of the stock headphones. Buy some Gray Ghost headphones for water hunting. Get yourself a good "Lesch" Digger as well. Also a good sand scoop for the beaches.

Go thru one of the site sponsors, Look all the way to the top RIGHT above where you log in for the "List All Sponsors" link, Lots of trustworthy and VERY helpful guys there and they will get you the best deal.

As for machines? Ive used AT-Pro, AT-Gold and AT-Max along with my Whites MXT PRO (Dry land only machine) AT-Gold isnt as good at getting silver as the AT-Pro. The Pro LOVES silver. AT-Gold is better a gold obviously and the AT-Max. Have yet to get enough time in the right spot for gold and silver but so far it does seem a deeper seeking machine. They are all 100% submersible with the exception of the stock headphones. Buy some Gray Ghost headphones for water hunting. Get yourself a good "Lesch" Digger as well. Also a good sand scoop for the beaches.

Good point you suggested, see what deals the sponsors can offer first before trying elsewhere, you might get a deal others can't top -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/forum_sponsors.php

Welcome from Kansas City MO. You might want to look into the Teknetics Patriot. Basically a Fisher F70 with a different look. The Patriot/F70 is an F75 without some of the search modes . All 3 are built on the same platform. Just another machine to consider.

HI all, my name is Julian and I am new here. I am also relatively new to metal detecting! I have about $1,000 dollars lying around and want to get a good detector. I've been running off a couple of cheap, weekend hobbyist hand-me-downs from relatives and wanna treat my metal right. Any recommendations? I've been leaning towards either the Garrett AT Gold or Fisher F75 (maybe the ltd version, but that's pushing price if I still wanna stay in my $1,000 budget after some extra equipment...)

Any opinions or recommendations are welcome! Thanks!

The Fisher F75 SE LTD is $799 new but is under $500 used. With it my 5" deep dime sounds like it is a surface find. It only weighs 3.5 lbs.

Some will likely tell you that they've seen used Minelab E-Tracs for $600 or so, that do great at IDing coins down to a foot. They are heavy and need to be swept slow.

I have the Garrett AT Pro, got a 7" deep dime that IDed as dime every time I passed the coil over it. Incredible accuracy for a detector that can be had for $300-$400 used, or just over $550 new. The AT Gold comes with a smaller stock coil, so not as deep on coins. A video of AT Pro in STD mode has it sounding off loudly on a 10.5" quarter.

The Teknetics Classic T2 is $499 new, maybe $350 used, has been said to have found coins to 15". 11"-12" coins with Teknetics Patriot $399 new.

I believe I'm going to wait for a bit and just hold out for the Equinox. It seems so promising--why splurge on an inferior detector when I have greatness at my fingertips? It seems like it has a pretty easy learning curve and INCREDIBLE technology for such a low price. Thank you all for your input and help! I will post more when I know for sure but for now, thank you so much for the valuable information. I will check with sponsors first and look elsewhere if that doesn't pan out.

In the meantime, if anyone has any more advice/recommendations, feel free to post it or email me! Thank you!

My email is: [email protected]

Welcome. Why not wait for the Minelab Equniox reviews coming shortly...it may be worth the wait and see.

This model has been making headlines in our hobby. I sure am going to wait for the reviews sounds good so far.. hh

+1 wait and buy he Minelab Equinox!
Look up the forum sponsors here like David at River Team Six Detectors and Craig from Show Me Treasure. Great folks to deal with and timely shipping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been studying the Equinox 800 for some time now and everything about it looks more and more promising... BUT, with that said, it is quite the price for me. I am a college student and don't have anything more than a contract job for $13 an hour. Yes, it IS technically within my price range, but it will leave me no money for a pinpointer/better headphones/anything else really within that $1,000. ALSO, as a fairly inexperienced detector, I don't really see myself being a good candidate for a (basically) prototype detector.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the AT Max. For slightly lower than the price of the Equinox, I can get the Max as well as a pinpointer and headphones. Plus, I'll actually be able to use it within the next month instead of waiting for the preorder to ship. But before I do that, is the Max my best bet?

Like I've said, I'm still pretty new to detecting and want the best for my money. I will be doing basically all dry land detecting with a little bit of river detecting every once in a while. I mainly am looking for the basics: silver coins, gold, jewelry, relics... I'm looking for a solid all around detector that will last me a long time. I don't want to feel the need for an upgrade in a year... All of your help has been incredible!

For the money, best all around deep detector for the price (and very easy to use) is the Teknetics T2. You can get one for $399 at academy sports (online) or $499 at Teknetics direct. My buddy has an AT Pro and we hunt together all the time. After getting up 30-2 silver coins on him this season he bought a T2 and now keeps us with my find rate. Trust me it’s a fantastic underrated machine. It is also very good on the beach. Just hunt in 2 + tones at either sens 70/disc 30 or 50/40. I wouldn’t waste the extra money on an AT Max or Equinox right now save the money and reduce your student debt load for the future!

Back
Top Bottom