Florida Beach and water laws

Diver1

Does anyone have any links to Florida laws on beach and dive detecting (or even any general knowledge)?

I've read some very conflicting stuff.....like you can dive with a detector but cant use it (lol). You cant keep anything you find in the water if it is older than 50 years old but if you find it on the beach its your to keep (?).

You should get plenty of chimming in, but here is what I know in general. From the low tide water mark to the dunes is considered "public" and can be detected. You can detect in most areas of the shallows off the beaches with the exception being over on certain parts of the east coast and maybe some parts of the pan handle(?). You will need to google that info as I am not positive and do not want to steer you wrong. On the east cost if you are in a restricted area for water hunting they can be pretty nasty and possibly confiscate your gear. My understaning is the government leases the underwater areas to salvage companies so basiclly you are trespassing. I have never heard of the not keeping what you find over $50 and I also do not know the specifics on diving and detecting. State parks and their associated beach areas are off limits with exception of Ft. Desoto which you can hunt provided you pick up a free detecting pass at the ranger station. I hope that helped a little. There are much more experienced guys on this forum especially the east cost that I am sure will chime in.

You have to be a little more specific on what part of FL. There are different laws for different parts of the state. If there are shipwrecks in the area, most of that is leased. National Sea Shores, no detecting, the Keys, Antiquity laws in many of the areas.

It also depends on which state park, Locally I know for a fact you can from dune to in the water just not on park grounds, but any place considered beach you can. Where abouts are you planning to go?

You have to be a little more specific on what part of FL. There are different laws for different parts of the state. If there are shipwrecks in the area, most of that is leased. National Sea Shores, no detecting, the Keys, Antiquity laws in many of the areas.

East Coast/Gold Coast down the 1A route......Sebastian, FL down to Hutchinson Island.

Looking at a few different adventures to be honest. During/after hurricanes (now that I'm living in the south again) and also looking at evenings/late evenings along the water when we are in the area.

I have heard they close some of the beaches at around 10 pm (because of drunk kids and such) so I just want to gather as much good info as possible to be prepared.

It also depends on which state park, Locally I know for a fact you can from dune to in the water just not on park grounds, but any place considered beach you can. Where abouts are you planning to go?

I have also heard that some areas are private property even between the water and the dunes......I kinda want to stay away from the high traffic areas and hotels. So I don't want to tread on anyone, or trespass.

Don't want to go to jail or have my gear taken. Just want to have fun and chase a few dreams is all.

No water hunting on east coast between Stuart and Cape Canaveral. That area is leased to salvage companies.

Are they real particular about if your pole hits the water,,,,,if your wading in a foot or two or they just shoot you and feed ya to the fish'es :laughing:

I have also heard that some areas are private property even between the water and the dunes......I kinda want to stay away from the high traffic areas and hotels. So I don't want to tread on anyone, or trespass.

Don't want to go to jail or have my gear taken. Just want to have fun and chase a few dreams is all.

Negatory, atleast not in the Florida Panhandle, noone owns the beach, however someone can own the beach access point to restrict access, you shouldnt be hunting in the tunes has it is a felony to disturb sea oats, has long as your on the beach you are fine, and even if a hurricane comes and now the beach is where the dunes was as long as the oats arent there you are fine.

You can search the State of Florida Department of Enviromental Protection under common land usage, Now different laws apply to Fresh Water metal detecting like in rivers and such.

Back
Top Bottom