"Air Tested" - Out

5 mile

Forum Supporter
Anyone else here where air testing doesnt cut it anymore?

Ive done my homework, read and re-read, researched, and have lots of new proposed sites.

Just want to get out there!

Air Test

In all my years of detecting I have never recovered a coin out of the air. Almost all of them have come from the ground. I went through the phase where I was obsessed with waving coins in front of my coil and measuring the results. I realized the advantages were mostly psychological. There are too many other variables that are more important. Learning to use your detector properly is the most important factor in recovering coins,relics,etc. If doing air tests makes you feel better about your chances, go for it. Then get out and enjoy digging your "treasure".:yes:

A silver coin in the ground for a long time actually has a halo around it. That is because silver oxidizes and the ground gets saturated with the oxidation. In the water the oxide bonds to the silver and gets a crust on it as it basically dissolves the coin.

The halo puts out a footprint larger than the coin. Hence you can get a signal from a deeper coin.

This is how it was explained to me. Makes sense with the crusty silver that comes out of fresh and salt water.

In all my years of detecting I have never recovered a coin out of the air. Almost all of them have come from the ground. I went through the phase where I was obsessed with waving coins in front of my coil and measuring the results. I realized the advantages were mostly psychological. There are too many other variables that are more important. Learning to use your detector properly is the most important factor in recovering coins,relics,etc. If doing air tests makes you feel better about your chances, go for it. Then get out and enjoy digging your "treasure".:yes:

"Air Tested" Out was a metaphor.

I have done it, you have done it, so has everyone.

I dont dwell on it.

Perhaps I wasnt clear that theres still abt 2" of frozen ground here.

That was the point, not "feel better" air tests.

If you're expecting air testing to tell you how deep you'll get when out hunting you're wasting your time, but to say air testing is worthless is just not correct.

You can learn a lot for an air test.

Most machines I've owned and airtested usually get the same results in ground,even minelab.I always hear minelab airtest poorly,not my experience. I got about 10 to 11 nches solid airtest,and that's about what I got in ground.And 10 inches in ground is pretty freaken deep,so that's great in my opinion.

The only thing air tests show is they give you a idea of tone. Most machines get way better depth in real world environments.

Air Tested Out

I dont dwell on it.

Based on the responses, I guess I wasn't the only one not to pick up on the metaphor. Being new to the site made me assume you were talking about actual air testing of the detector. My mistake. Hope your ground thaws out and you can start digging again.:yes:

I'm with woodbutcher. I've tested a heck of a lot of detectors and everyone of them seemed to indicate an air test was a best case scenario when it comes to depth. And I do agree about the Minelabs. When air tested properly they do quite well.

I understand that under some conditions a detector can go deeper in the ground, say in the case of the halo effect, but I've seen where a detector manufacture tech was asked the question and his reply was it is technically impossible to get more depth in the ground than in the air, with the exception I mentioned above, because in the air you have the full capabilities of transmission signal(s) and returning eddy signals unhindered. In the ground you will only get the depth the surrounding ground allows which is always less that open air. He also added the simple statement "Think about, it isn't hard to understand."

Kind of like saying you get better reception on your radio inside a building. Under certain condition it could be possible but generally it don't work that way.

I've also watched many videos and not a one that shows a detector getting more depth in the ground than in the air.

Hey 5 mile, apparently no one understood your post. I took it as you were tired of sitting around and are ready to get out and do some detecting.
It's 80 degrees in kansas today. Hopefully it's heading your way.

My XS explorer air test a clad dime to 12.25"--repeatable high tone

Now I don't ever expect to dig a dime that deep-- at least casually.

Airtest should be used for baseline test--- and after baseline tests are done, an op can check their detector later--compared air test data to check their detector
for possibly being faulty

But remember even this could be considered not ideal----don't forget EMI can also affect airtest results.

I am guilty of not understanding your original post. LOL, I concentrated on the responses. We have about 3" of fluffy white stuff on the ground and my E-Trac is in the back seat of my truck. Not air testing just waiting for the 50 degree weather we are supposed to get tomorrow and Saturday. I am ready to hit the woods.

My water detectors are laying in my living room, new float for my flag same place. My new water scooter is in the dining room and I am looking at new boats. Tomorrow going to the Detroit Boat Show to maybe pick up a brand new toy.

Cabin fever stinks! If I can find one or two willing, I want to go to Florida the first week in March and pilfer their water a little.

Hang in there 5 mile.

I should point this out. On average in the USA seems older and more coins found in the Midwest and northeast.

Now it is true there was more money to be had generally in these regions vs south.

But longer winters, and more snow usually in the northern sections---actually to a degree preserves a lot of your finds--- vs say milder wx in the south.

I also believe another reason that contributes to more coins being it seems lost in the colder regions is because many coins actually dropped in the snow. And hence aren't recovered immediately after dropped.

I dont dwell on it.

It doesn't matter.... We have now taken over your thread because of all the snow and frozen ground. We have nothing better to do so sorry but we took it and ran with it!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom