Silver Pocket Watch

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
Today I only dug two targets, first was a little button, then I got a screamer at 91 on the VDI. 3-4 inches down. Had my fingers crossed it was a half or another big copper... Then my fingers brushed dirt away and I saw silver. Still wasn't sure what it was till it came out from underneath the roots. I was really pleasantly surprised to see this pocket watch. Glass front and hands are gone, but all else is intact. Rim around the perimeter is also not tarnished, and has the look of either gold or bronze, I can't tell. Cleaned up the dial and found the name 'Breguet' which as it turns out is a majorly high-end watch maker. Any doubt I had about it being silver vanished when I looked them up... I haven't really tried to open it yet, because I think perhaps some of the inner workings have corroded and I don't want to force it... But a stellar find nonetheless...

Attachments

• pocketwatch.jpg
    pocketwatch.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 579
Open it! :lol:

Great find :)

I've tried, very gently, but so far it doesn't want to budge and I would kick myself if I really forced it and screwed it up! But, inside would tell me if it has gold, and give me a serial # that I could date it with, so yes, I am dying to see the inside... not to mention all the cool gears!

As a watch collector myself (my prize piece is a 1909 Omega that was converted from pocket watch to wristwatch in WWI era) I can say you have one heck of a find there. Congrats.

As a watch collector myself (my prize piece is a 1909 Omega that was converted from pocket watch to wristwatch in WWI era) I can say you have one heck of a find there. Congrats.

Thanks Linux - I'm very pleased with this find. Of course I wish it were fully intact but I'm just loving the meticulous craftsmanship of the piece. Really, really classy.

I'll get a pic of mine soon.

I have the same kind you have there, my brother-in-law found on the surface in the yard at my late mother in law's home. Same emblem on the back. I was able to open it, it was a Swiss made watch, quite common, but old, around 1880's, from what I found. I am taking it to an expert this weekend to examine it, do the same with yours, but I will post the info I found.

That is a awesome watch!!! Huge congrats!!!! It beats my pocket watch that in working condition is only worth 5 bucks and mine was far from working.

Wow congrats!!! Very nice!

Glass front and hands are gone, but all else is intact. Cleaned up the dial and found the name 'Breguet' which as it turns out is a majorly high-end watch maker. I haven't really tried to open it yet, because I think perhaps some of the inner workings have corroded and I don't want to force it... But a stellar find nonetheless...

So you opened the front and did not post pictures of the front?

And you have not tried to open the back?

I am dying to see the inside... not to mention all the cool gears!

The cool gears are steel, and might be rusted together or rusted away?

That is a real nice find! I dug a gold filled pocket watch a few years back, but never a silver one!

Major congrats,
Raphis
Dan

soak it in wd40 99% of the time the insides end up being brass but if u can open it u can get alot more info on it i found one sa few months back that ended up being a 1884 coin silver.

Great find! I collect watches myself and that is a beauty. From the looks of the of it, it is a key wind also, no crown that I can see. You may get lucky when you finally open it, some parts are made of brass, possibly gold or nickle. I would try the oil soak and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom