What’s the best hand digger out there?

It really boils down to your preference and your environment. In my opinion is better for something like a football/soccer field or softer earth where you are moving 6" or 8" of dirt to get to target.

Something like a Digmaster is better where there is harder soil, gravel, or shallow coins. You don't want to try and use it for big plugs and lots of earth moving.

Truthfully I would say there is some overlap between something like the Sampson T Handle and Raptor. I personally would rather use T Handle or big shovel and not be on my hands and knees when moving a lot of earth.

In the end they are tools, and most times the situation will dictate which tool is the right one to use.

-D

I personally would rather use T Handle or big shovel and not be on my hands and knees when moving a lot of earth.

This x 100. I have two of the Garrett hand diggers, but I've never used them. I tote around and use the NX-5 in parks, sports complexes, and everywhere else. I detect with a guy who only uses the hand digger and I dig (and retrieve) easily 4 times the targets that he does, because I'm not down on my knees or squatting to get the target out of the ground. And my plugs are way neater.

This x 100. I have two of the Garrett hand diggers, but I've never used them. I tote around and use the NX-5 in parks, sports complexes, and everywhere else. I detect with a guy who only uses the hand digger and I dig (and retrieve) easily 4 times the targets that he does, because I'm not down on my knees or squatting to get the target out of the ground. And my plugs are way neater.

I exclusively use my Lesche T handled 31” shovel right now. It’s awesome. But I get tired of carrying all day. My buddy found a detector pro belt latch for the Lesche so that’s probably not an issue anymore. But I still want a smaller shovel for certain situations.

What is better in your opinion, the Raptor or the serrated edge one like a Lesche or Digmaster? I'm looking for a hand tool that is the best for digging plugs that are easier on nice lawns, yet something that dig fairly easy to the target.

I've used the Predator Raptor for a number of years and there is nothing like it for clean, like you were never there, flap plug retrievals. :thumbsup: You need very few plunges into the ground and you can move a lot of dirt per shovelful with it because of the width. No serrated edge, but I carry a little folding saw for roots. The Raptor is quality made, but pricey. $60 plus shipping which used to be another $12, might be more now with postal prices having increased.

Don't waste your time trying to find a new one cheaper elsewhere. Predator Tools is the only place that sells them although George Lesche's brother-in-law may still sell them for the same price at his detecting shop. I know he used to years ago. You see lots of WTB's on the forum but very few users selling them used. Generally in the $50 shipped range give or take when they do rarely pop up used.

If you buy one it has a five year warranty but unless they changed their procedure, the warranty card needs to be sent in and it isn't included with the digger. So you have to go to the website, print it out and mail it in. Apparently not a warranty they are too keen on honoring.

I exclusively use my Lesche T handled 31” shovel right now. It’s awesome. But I get tired of carrying all day. My buddy found a detector pro belt latch for the Lesche so that’s probably not an issue anymore. But I still want a smaller shovel for certain situations.

Here's how I carry my 18" Sampson.
Hanger.jpg
Hanger2.jpg
Hanger3.jpg
i have carried it like this for years without any problem. It is less noticeable too.

Search google for: Hip Clip - belt carry your shovel. Works like a champ and the guy who makes them is awesome. :D

Hi Rattlehead. I checked out your hip clip. Looks well built. I regret purchasing the detector pro plastic clip now. I’m going to go ahead and purchase one of your clips anyway. I think overall it’s a better looking product. I also told my buddy about it. I’ve had a 31” Lesche shovel for three seasons and carried it with my left arm on many LONG days. What was I thinking?! How did I not know these were ever made!! Anyway, I also checked out your YouTube site. Looks like you gained another fan as well!

Thanks!

Dan

Search google for: Hip Clip - belt carry your shovel. Works like a champ and the guy who makes them is awesome. :D

Great idea, Rattlehead! :thumbsup: Sure beats the plastic shovel holster that I currently have (but never actually use anymore because the shovel bangs against my calves the whole time it's on there). I like that yours allows the user to fine tune extactly how high the shovel rides relative to the belt. I'm giving it a try...order placed!

As much as I like my Digmaster, on perfectly manicured turf with perfect dirt, the serrated edges can tear up the edges of the turf. It doesn't happen often in normal yard grass, only in the perfect stuff. On the rare occasions I'm hunting perfect turf, I use a Garrett digger or a Treasure Wise knife.

Great idea, Rattlehead! :thumbsup: Sure beats the plastic shovel holster that I currently have (but never actually use anymore because the shovel bangs against my calves the whole time it's on there). I like that yours allows the user to fine tune extactly how high the shovel rides relative to the belt. I'm giving it a try...order placed!

Thanks man! Got your Hip Clip packaged up and will ship it out today. Let me know what you think once you've had a chance to use it for a while. :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom