mth498

New to the hobby. No idea what detector to get. Narrowed down to the Garrett ace 400 or the Fisher f4. Any opinions on these two? Pros/cons. I really appreciate any info! So many machines to choose from

Tell us what you want to hunt for, what type of property and where your located at. That should help us help you.

What got you interested in the hobby?

And welcome from SW WI

New to the hobby. No idea what detector to get. Narrowed down to the Garrett ace 400 or the Fisher f4. Any opinions on these two? Pros/cons. I really appreciate any info! So many machines to choose from

Give information on where you are going to be hunting, and land or water , and what you are hunting for , coins or relics ,or jewelry will affect what answers you get, diffrent machines are better in diffrent soils and conditions.

Alabama roll tide! Hunting for mostly coins and relics. Got interested in hobby from watching YouTube videos. Thought it works be fun and get some exercise

Welcome from Winnsboro South Carolina !!!!

Not being familiar with those models I'll leave specific advice to others, other than that research videos -

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garrett+ace+400+vs+fisher+f44+

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:
The Fisher F4 one of the detectors I have , I think was replaced with the newer F44 if i am not mistaken. I did not like mine at first but after I learned it better and got comfortable with it ,I like it a lot better now ,even picked up a 4"coil to get in closer to play ground equipment and metal fences that I couldn't do with the bigger coil.

MTH, between the Garrett 400 and the F-44, the choice ten to one is the F-44 and it is because of ground balance and basic design (nose heavy) youth sized grip.

Thank you everyone for the welcome! I really thought people would steer me towards the Garrett ace 400 but it seems like the Fisher f4 is a favorite among some people that replied.

Both are great machines. I have a friend here in N.E. Kansas that opted in for the Garrett Ace 400 and they love it. He is primarily coin and jewelry hunting. Good luck in your choice and welcome to the group!

Thank you everyone for the welcome! I really thought people would steer me towards the Garrett ace 400 but it seems like the Fisher f4 is a favorite among some people that replied.

I have both machines, and if your area has very good soil (sweet) then the ace 400 is of use. Should you have areas of soil that you wish to hunt that is not so sweet, then the lack of ground balance feature makes the ace a looser. The portion of the soil that causes interference with a detector can be shunted out so that only the target metal is detected. With the ace detector in bad soil you have to run with very low sensitivity or it will drive u crazy with noise. Low sensitivity also means you loose a big portion of your detection depth. I hope this helps a bit with your decision. Good luck and no matter what you buy welcome to our hobby.

Alabama roll tide! Hunting for mostly coins and relics. Got interested in hobby from watching YouTube videos. Thought it works be fun and get some exercise

Since you're in Bama. You should get one of these >Kingdetector MD-4030 Pro Edition . Jus sayin !

I have the F4 and it is the only detector I have ever owned. My experience in the hobby is somewhat new and I`ve had it about 4 years.
I think back then I paid like $450 for it new and I think others on here indicated it may no longer be made.
The F4 operates off of 2 9volt batteries and I`d say battery life is pretty good. My only use to buy it was to hunt tot lots for coins. I have found some silver and one indian head penny. The detector is a good coin finder in the 4-5 inch range. Mine gets chatty if I turn the sensitivity up much. My greatest endorsement of the F4 is that I`ve found more clad value than I paid for the detector.
Good luck and message me if you`d like

Back
Top Bottom