• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

"Confederate Silver"

WOW! The confederates were everywhere as I found some of those clear up here in Michigan. Who'd ah thunk it.:lol:

To be honest though there were Confederate agents all around the Union States. There are well documented cases of Confederates in "Downeast " Maine.

Yes I have read that as well. I do believe it would be extremely hard to find any evidence such as something they dropped as they wouldn't want to be found out. But thinking about it, it sure would be real cool to find something confederate here in N. Michigan.;)

Yes I have read that as well. I do believe it would be extremely hard to find any evidence such as something they dropped as they wouldn't want to be found out. But thinking about it, it sure would be real cool to find something confederate here in N. Michigan.;)

I've got a cousin that lives up there ,,,,,:laughing:

I would like to comment on Confederate coinage, but I can't seem to find my reference book. Also please remember that at my age memory is always a problem. But the actual dies make for the confederate government didn't arrive until near the end of the war. Some believe some pennies were made, some think it was after the war. But somewhere in there the confederate dies ended up in private hands and were not seen for many years. During the war there was a man in Philadelphia who may have made a die and minted twelve pennies. As to any coin above a penny, I don't believed any were ever minted. After the war was over, there may have been some minor counterfeiting but I don't believe that was ever proven. As to what may have happened when the dies were in private hands is anyone's guess. The curator where the dies are today didn't think any silver coins were made.

I watched the next episode last night, they were digging on the beach of Lake Michigan. They were looking for the stolen train engine that hauled the Confederate gold up here to Muskegon MI. I live around a mile from where they were digging on the shoreline next to Norton Shores,:laughing: I see this show being dunked in the lake, along with the story of the gold.

The south was broke in 1865 .The most they might have had was around $500.000 . We had a blockade down here very little getting in and out . The ladies of the south were giving their jewelry to fund the war . The Northern troops had burned just about everything by then . You only can have so much money no mints . We have heard about lost Confederate gold all of our lives. It was lost in many locations lol. This is just a show. Best From Louisiana

I watched the next episode last night, they were digging on the beach of Lake Michigan. They were looking for the stolen train engine that hauled the Confederate gold up here to Muskegon MI. I live around a mile from where they were digging on the shoreline next to Norton Shores,:laughing: I see this show being dunked in the lake, along with the story of the gold.

The whole thing is overly dramatic to me. They found a nut in bolt in the area they believe wagons were burned, big deal. I find nuts and bolts of all ages all the time, proves nothing.

The photographic evidence proves that R.R. tracks did run along the sure, so what? All that proves is that R.R. tracks were along the shore of Lake Michigan, so what?

The show needs to come up with something more than a wild theory and no facts pretty quickly or I'll be checking out of it.

I'm right here too buddy! I hunt from GH to WH primarily, with NS and MKG being my primaries...Lake Michigan is one cruel and jealous Mistress!..She dont give up her gold easily....We may have run into each other?.

Attachments

• Apr 1-15-3.jpg
    Apr 1-15-3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 184
I watched

The show, they bring out all un- experienced people to dig, the main guy in Jeans ,and sneaker's :laughing: then gets in a hole with water, comes out exhausted, by the way how do they come to the conclusion that the Gold is in the water , as i would say it's buried on the guy's property :?:

I also live in N.S.
I need to watch this to see where they were digging. I’m not sold on
this story but it is interesting. At one point there was a railroad track that ran from PM park to lake harbor on the beach. From what I read the lake took it back the first winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still waiting to see how this show develops. This weeks show about the train and tracks on the beach was interesting but I question why would you think a missing train during the war would all of a sudden show up 5 years later carrying the gold to Michigan. I can understand that you would use a train to move it if you are involved in the train system but why would yo use a missing confederate engine to move it after the war was over.

The other problem I have is how do you only keep the officers as the ones who know about the gold. I don't think that right after a battle the officers would all go off on their own and bury the gold. During the fighting there would of been a lot of regular soldiers around and they would have know about the gold. And after the war a lot of people needed money and you bet them soldiers would have been there in a heart beat digging up the gold.

I wish they would layout who was involved and not keep bringing in new people to support their theory.

I am still in the wait and see mode. The show does high light history and talk about somethings I did not know about so it does have that going for it.

Ray

There was tracks along the shoreline, no doubt. There was also plenty of ventures along the shoreline that necessitated those tracks back in the early days of the area. A little further up the beach from their "digging site" is a natural channel, it's called Lake Harbor Channel. At that location was a small community, and also a massive hotel (see link) that rivaled the "Grand Hotel" of Mackinac Island fame. This was all at the turn of the last century "1900" or so, the hotel burned down, the tracks eventually fell into disuse and anything along the shore gets buried over with sand in time.
I guess what I'm getting at is these guys are trying to string a story on a few facts, and a lot of assumptions to build this new show. It kinda makes you shake your head at the thought of how the public view's MD as a hobby, and serious treasure finders. I,ll watch a bit more because I live in the area and less than a mile from this activity, just a 15 minute foot walk to soaking my toes in Lake Michigan at Lake Harbor Park.
https://imgur.com/idSzZIQ
https://i.imgur.com/idSzZIQ.jpg

Last edited:
Is it possible?! That SILVER.. was found all the way up there.. from way down there? COULD it be.. that someone sneaked it in, or COULD it be that it is something entirely different? Is it POSSIBLE that somehow a simple find was blown up to more than all that and a bag of chips?!

I need to make a video of me and my buddy detecting, and then do the voiceover narrator....

"A pull tab? HERE? Could it be that while burying their treasure in this totlot, they took a break for a brewski?"

Keep in mind GD also called gold coin on curse of oak island and it was a brass button. Dudes eyes are fading it appears:lol:

Back
Top Bottom