E-trac newb finds gold but no silver

evan9r

Well I have used the E-trac for 5 or 6 hunts now and I think I am starting to get the hang of it after adjusting some of the settings. First hunt was at a not so popular beach and only found a few dimes, pennies and trash but it was all deep. Next few hunts were around early 1900s and older houses that had lots of iron. Found a few cool things but no real old coins. I must say my buddy FoundinNC had better finds with his Ace 250, including a 1900 Indian and a 1845 large cent. I did manage to pull a wheatie but the date is unreadable. Also found a token for Andrew Johnson and a pocket knife. In one hole with a memorial penny I found what I believe to be a steel penny but its hard to tell its so rusted. Here are a few pics. Also found a Bingham Military button that is in one of the pics but I found that with the Compadre after the battery died on the E-trac. All in all I was somewhat dissapointed/frustrated I wasnt finding the really good stuff. At the same time I was happy because most of these sites I hit have been hunted a few times with my old Cibola and everything I was finding was near iron or really deep. Not to mention one quarter I found in my driveway that was in the spot of a previous coinspill of several quarters that I found with my Cibola. I had turned the Cibola up and never heard a peep because I just knew there had to be more quarters there. Well the E-trac pulled one more out, not that deep but it was on edge straight up and down. This shocked and excited me.

I havent had the time to do any hunting in the past few weeks due to lots of school work. I did change the settings some and air tested a few of my coins and finds to get a better feel of what to hear and look for. So yesterday I finally got the chance to hit a local park for the first time with the E-trac and lo and behold I pulled a nice shiny 14k gold ring out. I actually had a lot more confidence this time with the new settings and felt I could distinguish something good from trash. An hour or two netted a handful of clad and a gold ring so things are coming together.

Whats odd is that on air tests and sometimes on targets in the ground the E-trac does not register the target if the sweep speed is slower like everyone recommends. I found that faster is better than slower.

Attachments

• Cabin_Civil_War.jpg
    Cabin_Civil_War.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Cabin_hunt.jpg
    Cabin_hunt.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Cabin_hunt2.jpg
    Cabin_hunt2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 382
  • Park_hunt.jpg
    Park_hunt.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 383
Nice looking finds! They all look like they could tell a story.
The ring is really nice too.
In the last picture the pendant to the left of the ring with a Chinese character reads "Tora" in Japanese or Tiger in English.

I found gold with my E-trac before silver too. Contrary to what others say, the E-trac can find the gold very well. I've found more gold with it than any of my other machines combined.

What sort of numbers did that gold ring give on the E-Trac?

I found gold with my E-trac before silver too. Contrary to what others say, the E-trac can find the gold very well. I've found more gold with it than any of my other machines combined.

Bonesquat, what sort of numbers do you generally find gold at?

I always ask this question because I've found maybe 4 gold rings in 2 years with the E-Trac and I know I must be missing some.

Finding Gold with the ETrac is but a matter of time. For you that time was short. I dig the low tones every time. I tell myself go get that nickel and for the most part, it's a nickel. When it's something else, what the hay, however several times last year it was GOLD. Congrats to you..GOLD IS GOOD.

Nice digs! I haven't found gold yet, but I'm killing the silver. Once you get more familiar with the ETRAC you're gonna realize that there isn't anything else you'll ever want to hunt with. It's amazing. If those deep silver are there, it finds it. I find coins at 8-10 inches as easily as I was with the 3300 at 3 inches. I suggest you head over to the findmall forum and grab Bill S' trashy park pattern to use. Since you're new it will discriminate a TON of trash out, and that will give you time to coin shoot and learn the tones and Fe-Co numbers without getting too overwhelmed. Search for "newpark" pattern, or "Bill S trashy park pattern" and you'll find the thread. Keep up the great work! -Fin

filo, I believe it was reading a 12-16 before I dug it but in air it reads 12-20. I have another ring that on air tests reads around 12-09 I believe so I was prepared to dig anything that low. I did dig a few pull tabs that were that number and higher but I didnt mess with the ones that were 12-02ish. Does anyone dig those?

I would rather find gold than silver any day! Congrats!

I've found gold at 12-01, 12-07, 11-10, 12-34, I can't remember the others right now. It was about the tone thought and how the rings pin pointed like a coin.

Evan those locks are so cool. Your ring is awesome too! You are quickly approaching an ounce of gold! Wow!

Back
Top Bottom