advice on colonial coin cleaning

Ludlow6

Not sure what I should do with this coin. Has caked on dirt. Anyway to restore this coin without hurting it further? Was thinking of having it slabbed to see if its real but not sure if i should clean it first.
1.jpg

http://coin4sale.net/images/2.jpg

no water, no chemicals. i have dead coppers i tried all methods on and nothing ever looked better.

as mentioned above use a toothpick. there's different videos on youtube, but i would just attack the high points and leave the dirt on the lows to add some contrast.

I agree with everyone. Just give it a "dry" cleaning" then maybe rub some Ren wax on it. You have a Fugio. Nice find but not terribly uncommon. Waste of money to have it slabbed.

May I ask why no water? I mean heck they have gotten wet thousands of times already.

Water will take away some of the visible details. The contrast between the dirt and clean spots make the details easier to see.

Aquachigger has a YouTube video showing different methods on coppers. Dry, water, and oil. Personally, I like dry. Mostly because I’ve killed the details on a copper with water cleaning. Once you go too far, you can’t go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I ask why no water? I mean heck they have gotten wet thousands of times already.

On the coppers I played with, I tried water, dry, oils, cleaners, pretty much every option. Anything but dry cleaning turned them all black and I lost a ton of details.

Back
Top Bottom