• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Funniest Mistakes

24kilo

As a Noob to this I've been reading all I can. But As I know you learn by other peoples mistakes, So what's your funniest Mistake?
I guess I'll Start

If your going to MD after work bring diffrent shoes.
Never Detect with steel toe shoes on, It give's lots of false targets. LOL

Wearing steel tipped shoes while I was hunting in a park. Only took about 10 minutes or so before I realized my mistake but killed my day.

Scratching 100+ year old silver coins....

or

Finding goodies in an old plug/hole that I didn't search well enough the first time...aka going too fast!

On the 3rd revisit to the same totlot...over a 3 month period, digging up the same iron cutoff posts hidden under the mulch from old equipment .....for the 3rd TIME! :lol::lol::lol:

When you dig as many totlots as The King, you just cannot remember the details of every one!

Hunting for 5 or 10 minutes without even a beep....then realizing I forgot to turn it on after my short break.

Going out to my favorite island on the Sesquehanna river when I lived in Pa and not making sure I had good batteries,sure hated having to paddle back over to the dock reload the canoe for the 2 minute drive to the 7-11

The BH Tracker IV has easy to mess with knobs. At some point I had managed to turn the sensitivity down to nothing. I have no clue when or how much I missed lol

this was yesterday =/

swinging without having the MD turned on, the steel toed boots, catching my headphone wire on bushes and not initially realizing the it became unplugged, lol.
i got a great signal in the front yard one day, started digging and discovered where my drilled well is! :lol:
just a few days ago, i thought i had everything i needed, got to where i was going and alas... no headphones! :mad: i made due with a pair of earbuds i did have in the jeep, but no vol control on them and my 250 was really hard on the ears that day, lol.
forgetting i had turned the pinpointer off while searching for something and wondering why the item in the hole disappeared so fast!! :lol:
and there's one other really embarrassing thing, but i can't say it. :blush: ok, i'll give a hint: i left "them" in the glass and drove a couple of miles before i realized i didn't have 'em in. --->> :D ;) needless to say, i turned around and went back for them. had i been going in the woods, i wouldn't have cared too much, but that was a beach morning so i had to have 'em in, haha! :lol3:

all in a days fun with this hobby. :giggle:

I kept checking the hole and getting a signal. I finally found a small copper object (junk) and as I started to replace the plug, a 1929 Mercury fell out of it.

When I first bought my Ace 250, I actually thought.
I was the only guy with a MDer, out MDing in my area.

Yep when I got my first BH 202, I was so ignorant and thought I was the only one and would be pulling out silver coins from schools like mad. I sure was stupid, still am, but much dumber then.

I bought an Ace 150 from a guy on the forums. I started testing it - NO beeps! I was getting ticked. I got a dud.

Then I noticed a headphone adapter sticking out of the headphone hole...D'oh!

getting to a site and after about 10-15 minutes wondering why the site seems soo clean.....then look and see i somehow had the sunray switch flipped to "probe" insted of "coil" :roll:

I do some detecting on the way to work each morning along the beach here in Florida. I have a pretty set routine. Wake, shave, load detector and pick my beach of choice while driving. One day got distracted out of my routine with my dog (who is usually asleep). Got to the beach, threw open hatch back and thought what's missing. Oh yeah the detector. DOH! 3 mile drive back 20 minuets of lost detecting (out of an hour), chuckle from my wife and po'ed at myself the rest of the day and no there was no miracle find that day.

Going to one of my favorite spots and getting excited to detect, pop my trunk and forgot my darn detector at home!! :lol:

I usually keep in in the van but Because I took it out the night before to move some stuff I forgot to put it back in!

Not funniest mistakes

One I may be making a lot and I have detected since 1973 off and on with different new detectors is not digging up the lower readings avoiding pull tabs and screw tops pullring. I only found one or two gold rings doing that. But one funny one mistake is leaving the adaptor jack in and not hearing sounds then I notice and pull it out. Had to re detect a area thinking it was so clean.

White's M6 and wondering if I will gain finds if I buy a DD coil for it. Maybe for use in fields and woods. I have seen where their finds aren't any deeper than some of my finds but old coins. I know in a field I will want to work fast as fields are huge and finds will likely be far and few. Just love it when I see a video and they pull up a silver half out in a field. Anyone in the Greenvill Michigan area message me if you want to do some searching together.

Read JBEXPRESS post

Wonder if forgetting your dig tools and headed out of the house is close to forgetting your detector. All a sudden I notice I felt too light.
White's M6 I will have on a jean jacket to put my finds in and junk in the side pockets my stainless steel digger in my back pocket. Sometimes I am dressed to warmly a black hoodie with a front pouch for my suckers and smokes.

1- Knocking the headphones off my head from low hanging branches...
2- Realizing after a few minutes that the reason my MD was going crazy giving signals in the air was because the coil plug had detached from the device...
3- Scraping silver coins while digging them up with my Lesche (that's actually not funny)...
4- Forgetting to bring a bag to put the junk metal in...
5- Slipping on uneven grass...falling on my ass...
6- Running out of battery mid-hunt...
7- Catapulting dirt at my face while digging... :lol:
...And I know there are more silly things I've done in my short time of MDing :facepalm: and yet it continues to be one of my favorite hobbies. :thumbsup:
HH

im still new to MDing,
but when my sister gave me her Bounty Hunter detector, i went to work in the yard,(first time using a MD), got a hit and started diging, when my sister looked over and saw my 3 foot deep hole she asked what the heck am i doing... i responded digging something, the detector says it 6 feet down., she replied its inchs not feet dummy. :lol:

true story.

Back
Top Bottom