Looks like a track

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
This has bothered me for a couple of years.

I found what looks like a race track on an 1895 map, but can find know mention of a track in old papers, from old timers etc.

If not a track, what else could it be?

Attachments

• possible track.jpg
    possible track.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 319
Thats a track there dude! Look at that river close by to water the horses in and camp out by!! Talk about a place that needs a good sweeping! Get on in there and report back!
Mud

Pretty interesting. I've never seen that shape on a USGS topo map before.

So, I just checked a very early track in my county that was a fairgrounds with a large horse track which then went to dirt track auto racing.

I looked at 5 maps, from 1892 to 1928, and the fairground does not show, and I know there were stables there during those years. Very odd.

Your 1895 date is too early, but in the very early 1900s to maybe 19-teens, there was a fad of "board track auto and motorcycle tracks". These often went bankrupt due to the huge costs of millions of board feet of lumber, and most were salvaged for the high quality wood planks.

Maybe look up the NY state fair back in the day. Was it in Syracuse? The one I am thinking of, had an early horse track-then auto? I wonder if you can find the same symbol?

Pretty interesting. I've never seen that shape on a USGS topo map before.

So, I just checked a very early track in my county that was a fairgrounds with a large horse track which then went to dirt track auto racing.

I looked at 5 maps, from 1892 to 1928, and the fairground does not show, and I know there were stables there during those years. Very odd.

Your 1895 date is too early, but in the very early 1900s to maybe 19-teens, there was a fad of "board track auto and motorcycle tracks". These often went bankrupt due to the huge costs of millions of board feet of lumber, and most were salvaged for the high quality wood planks.

Maybe look up the NY state fair back in the day. Was it in Syracuse? The one I am thinking of, had an early horse track-then auto? I wonder if you can find the same symbol?

I have found the same symbol on maps, at the locations where they held/hold county fairs.

It is the same symbol, but one again, I can find no mention a a horse/race track in this particular area.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMapSymbols/topomapsymbols.pdf

Last edited:
I have found the same symbol on maps, at the locations where they held/hold county fairs.

It is the same symbol, but one again, I can find no mention a a horse/race track in this particular area.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMapSymbols/topomapsymbols.pdf

That link shows two track symbols; one is an outline, the other is blacked-in. I wonder if the outline is for dirt, and black is for paved/or boardtrack?

What I'd do is see what aerial pics are available at that spot on historicaerials.com.

If you are lucky to have many different year pics, be sure to look closely at each one, as I have done the same with a long forgotton rail line spur in my town that nobody ever knew about. Traces of that line show in some later pics, and some older pics do not, even though it should be opposite.

something was there

I certainly hope you get this figured out and let us know the outcome. Great job with your research so far, keep it up!

It's the world's first crop circle. They had to start somewhere.

But seriously, it looks like a race track. Does the map have a scale? How large is that feature?

It's the world's first crop circle. They had to start somewhere.

But seriously, it looks like a race track. Does the map have a scale? How large is that feature?

Map scale is 1:62,500

1 inch = 1 mile

Measuring feature on screen, looks to be a little shy of 1/4 mile from end to end.

Going one night next week to the Town Clerk and take look at the hard copy map.

This feature did not appear on the 1864 or 1888 maps.

It could be a show arena, for animal judging and/or rodeo. It could be where a circus tent would set up. Maybe a high school track team track. Could be a lot of things. Have you tried contacting your state historical society about it? They might be able to tell you right off.

This feature did not appear on the 1864 or 1888 maps.

I have found major omissions on USGS maps in my county.

Until I was able to prove to myself that they did miss large homes on a big farm, I was making the wrong dating of certain cellars, by the fact they were on a commercial 1869 map, but "gone" by USGS 1890

I kept finding early 1900s items at these cellars that were "gone" on USGS 1890.

Finally proved it, when I searched a friends Uncles farm that was 1700 colonial, but destroyed in the 1980's. All of the many early USGS topos do not show the home. I was there in the late 1960s banging on his door, trying to buy the antique cars in the field. :)

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to know what is there now? Is it dozed and now newer homes or strip mall?

I have found major omissions on USGS maps in my county.

Until I was able to prove to myself that they did miss large homes on a big farm, I was making the wrong dating of certain cellars, by the fact they were on a commercial 1869 map, but "gone" by USGS 1890

I kept finding early 1900s items at these cellars that were "gone" on USGS 1890.

Finally proved it, when I searched a friends Uncles farm that was 1700 colonial, but destroyed in the 1980's. All of the many early USGS topos do not show the home. I was there in the late 1960s banging on his door, trying to buy the antique cars in the field. :)

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to know what is there now? Is it dozed and now newer homes or strip mall?

Just a cornfield. Has been a cornfield as long g as I can remember.

Just a cornfield. Has been a cornfield as long g as I can remember.

I prefer woods hunts, but my best ever site is a cornfield that gets new stuff coming up right after each harvest.

I suppose that could have been a field before the track, then field again, so there could be 200-300 years of relic types

This has bothered me for a couple of years.

I found what looks like a race track on an 1895 map, but can find know mention of a track in old papers, from old timers etc.

If not a track, what else could it be?

I have no doubt that your oval is a horse track.
Look at it's size.
Too early for cars or motorcycles.

As far as reading up on it, check out a local historical society.
Even if the track was a short lived venue, there has to be some kind of local knowledge written about it.

Have you looked at all of the available maps on line?

If this was a betting track, it would be great to read up on where the grandstands were and any other structures. Here is where the Historical society comes into play.

Keep us posted!

It could have been a breeder's private workout track and I doubt it will show up on any registry.

^^^^ this. +1
I have found them around my area. I also found that most of them were just private training/workout tracks. May not of had masses of people but I'm sure there still has to be a few cool digs there.

If it is a private/workout track, finding the house and barn locations will also be important. Finding the ownership history of this property will help too. Office of Land Records will be a big help. I wish you the best of luck!

That little creek there sure has my interest...especially if a guy can determine if its not left its bed for a while...there to the SE on the straightaway and again where it cuts into the bank to the W might be worth a sweep...even if that place was a practice track for horses, you have to think some gatherings took place there...might be a shallow ford area...Looking forward to what you discover about this place, Bill!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom