• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

The snotty park that hates metal detectors

Jo ann

Elite Member
I grew some today!

I planned the day, printed out my contact info, with md ethics on the backside, as well as as a small line that I am an illustrator\artist and md hobbyist, charged up my personal camera, and took my tiny trowl out of my bag,.

Armed with only a probe, at pro, and pinpointer I headed to the park that hates metal detectorists, prepared for battle and maybe even jail.

Parked the car in the center of the maintance crews and marched over to the closes one, I could see him steaming, eyes glaring, then he saw I wasnt stopping he ducked behind a pillar to the shelter... I gave him a huge smile and shouted a friendly hello and approched him, he certainly didnt have a smile for me, good thing Im married to a cave man and am used to Marine type stare downs.

me: "Im here to metal detect"
"are you going to have a ptoblem with that?"

Him: "we dont want metal detectors here"

me: "I know that, but Ive been told that We are allowed to and the law says we can, so Im telling you that I will be metal detecting here, and I will be picking up trash that I find and I will be using a probe as in this counties law, and I will be filling any holes that other detectors might have left!"

I hand him my contact infomation and he starts waving it away,
Him: "I dont want that I know it the law"
I shove it to him totake he looks down and goes, "Oh, thats about who you are" "ok, but no digging"

me: "no digging! Bye" big friendly smile.

so I marched over to where there was the least place they would worry about, knowing I would be doing more damage control and PR than detecting, and I waited for the police to show up.... nothing... I waited for wild haired crazy lady to show up..... nothing, I did get honked at when their boss showed up I ignored him as he stomped around.

I found a few coins on the surface but mostly picked up garabage and filled in the holes that the stealth MDers left and one an animal left, I didnt see any squirrels, and wondered if they killed them,

for those that are going to scream at me for making my presence known, dont! Because as it is mders already get run out of this park illegaly, and so Im making our presence known until they get use to us.

I had forgotten to turn on my camera when I approached the man, but I keep it on when I detect that park, and I log times and dates.

This my home now and Im not going to be run off.

Whoever that stealth detectorist is needs to cover their tracks better,

Nice work. It's wise to chase only the shallow stuff (stuff you can pop out with a probe only), while busy-body lookie-lous are watching. After about 15 min. of that they will get bored and go do something else. And THEN you can go after the deeper ones :roll:

Or better yet: simply go when no-such park maintenance crews are on-duty. :p

Words cannot express my total respect, so I offer this instead...

Attachments

• applause2ul7.gif
    applause2ul7.gif
    162 KB · Views: 1,057
Nice work. It's wise to chase only the shallow stuff (stuff you can pop out with a probe only), while busy-body lookie-lous are watching. After about 15 min. of that they will get bored and go do something else. And THEN you can go after the deeper ones :roll:

Or better yet: simply go when no-such park maintenance crews are on-duty. :p

Absolutly, this place has eyes in the trees, maybe they have recruited the squirrels. I personaly dont expect to ever being able to truely md in that park, but it is my nieborhood park, and as much as I LOVE a good hunt, I md for my sanity, the fresh air, outdoors and exersize, so this place will be more like a practice lot for me, as I find this place stressfull and way too uppity to freely enjoy mding. I do have good news though, I usually meet interesting people as I did today meet a fellow gallery artist, so I did enjoy that.

I will continue to show up there for a few hours while the busybodies and maintance crews are there, just to help bring back mding to the area, anyone is welcome to join me. I do remember telling that man that I was fully capiable to govern myself, and something about they didnt have the right to bully me out of my rights, its such a blur.. but surprise I did it!

Bravo jo ann, never give up and never give in. The bullys only win if you back down and give up and quit going there.

Jo Ann, you've got large ...marbles.
It is true that some park workers think they own it, and it is very easy to see their point when you have "some" diggers that are not very good with their holes.
I applaud you sticking up for yourself.

I've got a nice local park, I had been there a couple of times, no problem, even knew one of the workers, then I made the mistake of taking a couple people there who left a BIG BROWN SPOT at every hole. The police got involved, even though I'm sure no laws were broke. I will go back ALONE ONLY.

Jo ann,
You bring such a fresh air with this thread. Your spirit must shock some here...how dare you not be a greedy MDer. You know, the ones out to just stir up trouble by not seeking the approval of the powers that be even though no approval is necessary. I have the greatest respect for those that instinctively know right from wrong and have the fortitude to do the right thing for the right reason.

I'm hoping you are a younger person that will be around for several generations to influence those many who have lost their direction.

You made my day!

Jo ann,
You bring such a fresh air with this thread. Your spirit must shock some here...how dare you not be a greedy MDer. You know, the ones out to just stir up trouble by not seeking the approval of the powers that be even though no approval is necessary. I have the greatest respect for those that instinctively know right from wrong and have the fortitude to do the right thing for the right reason.

I'm hoping you are a younger person that will be around for several generations to influence those many who have lost their direction.

You made my day!

Wow, thank you for the support, I take that as a huge huge compliment. Im not young Im in my 50s, and that is why I need this exersize and sanity as I had to retire early due to an accident, I have fought hard to be able to walk somewhat normal and had to fight to relearn everything That was taken from me from that accident, Im about at 30% of my old self after 15 years.

I Back down about 10 times a day, but I get back up 11 times a day, and to have a town of snots treat me like trash makes me want to slap them up side thier heads (did I just say that?Hehe, yes I did) .

I do LOVE finding the treasure, but there is so much more about the hobby that is just as important, or even more important than the treasure, so in this instince something needs to be done, and no one else is doing it, unfortunatly, this place is all lawyered up, and they dont want the public in their parks, they treat them as private country clubs or extended lawns for the influentual people... which now I see I have a new angle, public parks are for the public that cant afford or dont want to be asociated with country clubs.. so maybe re education is in order.

Either way, if someone is doing damage, than they need to deal with them, not treat everyone like trash.

Jo Ann, you've got large ...marbles.
It is true that some park workers think they own it, and it is very easy to see their point when you have "some" diggers that are not very good with their holes.
I applaud you sticking up for yourself.

I've got a nice local park, I had been there a couple of times, no problem, even knew one of the workers, then I made the mistake of taking a couple people there who left a BIG BROWN SPOT at every hole. The police got involved, even though I'm sure no laws were broke. I will go back ALONE ONLY.

Oh no! Did you get accused of those brown spots? And how on earth did they turn the grass brown? Did they pee on the grass?

Oh no! Did you get accused of those brown spots? And how on earth did they turn the grass brown? Did they pee on the grass?

No, not pee, but spreading the dirt all around in 360 degrees, and not trying to get much of it back in the hole, makes them very obvious. I like to use my depth meter, and dig deep enough the first time, then when removing dirt from the plug putting it directly back in the hole, no dirt on the grass at all.

You go Jo Ann! :dingding: Modern America seems to be such that everything is assumed illegal, with no shortage of people who will tell you that, based on.......Well, it must be or should be or something!

I personally assume everything IS legal, and make it incumbent on anyone telling me different that they must simply prove it. Even most police do not know the law that well (They're not attorneys) and they cannot write a ticket unless they know the statute being violated. Oftentimes they hope that the mere fact they're there showing disapproval should be enough, and for sheep, it usually is: This does not speak well of them or the general public. You are the type of American we need LOTS more of, well done! Chris

Back
Top Bottom