• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Got Permission for Old Homesite. Sherrif Came

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff30135

I Got permission to hunt an old home site that dates back to 1910 and it still has some old dilapidated buildings on the property, I called the land owner yesterday and he gave me permission, nice guy, said go there anytime, so I went to scope it out yesterday and hunted for about 15 minutes and found a 1977 Clad Eisenhower dollar. Went back today and planned on spending a few hours there but.....

I went there and after a little while a sheriff showed up and asked me what I was doing, like it wasn't obvious already, anyways I told her I was metal detecting and she said this is private property, I told her yes ma'am it is, I got permission from Mr. Kenneth Guy, then she said, who is that? :?: The land owner I replied, and she asked If I had his phone number and I handed over a little paper with his name and number on it, she took my ID and said ok I'll be right back let me check this out, she came back and said she couldn't contact him so she had to ask me to leave, just for right now. I said I understood but really I felt like it was on her to prove that I didn't have permission to be there, after all I did have permission and wasn't doing anything wrong. She said maybe next time to have something in writing, which I told her I didn't really understand how that would help seeing as I could just write a note and sign it myself, I told her you have no idea what the land owners signature looks like. she said yeah but it gives me something more to go on, I thought to myself not really lady but I just said ok and collected my stuff and left for the day, I did hunt for about an hour before she interrupted me, the only other coin I found was a 1999 dime.

Put this thread with your hunting with no permission thread and you just got your answer to your first thread question. ;)

G2M

I would of told her I am not committing a crime and would appreciate it if she would quit bothering me. She was totally out of line.

I could go on for days about this subject but this isnt the forum for it.:lol:

Bummer Jeff. So what do you do now?

I guess I'll just go back tomorrow and if she comes back I'll take SilverSnipers advice. But I can't help but wonder what she would have done if I told her that today and refused to leave because I had permission, I find it really difficult to believe she would arrest me and charge me with trespassing without knowing for certain if I actually was but I didn't feeling like finding out if she was a crazy lady or not, or possibly getting tazed :lol: she was a pretty young sheriff and she was nice other than the whole asking me to leave thing though, oh and the asking me for my Driver's license, I didn't realize I needed it to operate a detector. :grin:

I guess I'll just go back tomorrow and if she comes back I'll take SilverSnipers advice. But I can't help but wonder what she would have done if I told her that today and refused to leave because I had permission, I find it really difficult to believe she would arrest me and charge me with trespassing without knowing for certain if I actually was but I didn't feeling like finding out if she was a crazy lady or not, or possibly getting tazed :lol: she was a pretty young sheriff and she was nice other than the whole asking me to leave thing though, oh and the asking me for my Driver's license, I didn't realize I needed it to operate a detector. :grin:
Yea it might be one of those instances where you have to stand up for yourself. Unless the owners of the land called her out there and want to press charges than she has nothing to arrest you for.She is actually trespassing. Even though they think so..the police just cant go around asking everyone what their doing and demanding identification or a "note" saying you can be there.:laughing:

I would go back. If she comes back and bothers you again tell her you would like her supervisor on scene as you would like to file a complaint.

Most would not bother and just bow down to them. Its never fun to ruffle feathers but honest law abiding people need to stand up for ourselves once in a while.

pretty young or pretty as in pretty..............................take a box of chocolates

Pardon me..just a tad bit.

Whoa up there folks.. this young lady sheriff was just doing her job, and its up to this gentleman to have proof of permission. Until that permission is proofed, he should leave the property. This is what Law Enforcement is all about. Protection of private property.
I too am attempting to get permission before driving 150 miles or more to do some underground research on some 100 year old relatives old farmstead property. Now owned by new owners.. But I dare not go there without the papers to prove who I am and why I am there.
Go at your own risk, but obey your local Officials.

Whoa up there folks.. this young lady sheriff was just doing her job, and its up to this gentleman to have proof of permission. Until that permission is proofed, he should leave the property. This is what Law Enforcement is all about. Protection of private property.
I too am attempting to get permission before driving 150 miles or more to do some underground research on some 100 year old relatives old farmstead property. Now owned by new owners.. But I dare not go there without the papers to prove who I am and why I am there.
Go at your own risk, but obey your local Officials.

Wrong sir. Their job is NOT to protect private property. And if they think there is a crime being committed its up to THEM to investigate and prove a crime is in fact being committed.

You would be surprised at the number of officers who have no clue about the specifics of law and the scope of their job.

Wrong sir. Their job is NOT to protect private property. And if they think there is a crime being committed its up to THEM to investigate and prove a crime is in fact being committed.

Thank you. how would any of you feel if you were outside on a beautiful day watering your yard or some other activity in your yard and they pulled up and asked for your ID and went through a lengthy process of verifying that you are the land owner all the while your neighbors stare wondering if your a serial killer or something and then it happens again next week by a different cop... does that sound like their job to you?

The sheriff has no way of making this call in the field BUT has no obligation to let you continue about your business in the event that you ARE there without permission. She handled it the best she could given circumstances. Tried to contact the landowner, couldn't and asked them to leave until such a time that documentation could be provided or confirmation directly from the owner.

If you break into my house and the cops show up, you cant continue stealing my stuff because you tell them you have my permission. They are gonna haul your happy ass off to the pokey until they can sort it out.

Its unfortunate that Jeff did in fact have permission but still had to leave. I applaud him for doing that diligence (and not just poaching as seems to be some peoples attitudes). I would expect that the land owner would be happy to provide a permission slip in case it happened again. (And I'm sure the property owner is grateful that the sheriff was DOING HER JOB and staying vigilant for unusual activity.

JW

Instead of creating a lot of drama... before you go hunt there again stop at the police dept and let them know you have permission and let them see the little piece of paper that way if you are stopped again all the officer has to do is call the PD.

WOW, tell a sheriif deputy to go away! Must not be from around realityville.

Call the owner, let him know what happened. If I were him I'd have no problem calling the Sheriff, him or herself, and telling him you have permission. Problem solved. If they don't want to believe him over the phone, they can make a visit to his home and be told in person. But that is what they do here. If you are in a more urban county he may have to talk to a chief deputy.

Now all of my permission slips in my backpack don't seem so over kill or odd do they?

I get it in writing when I want to be sure no one will bother me while swinging. I've had folks tell me that my permission letters aren't necessary, Maybe they aren't but in cases like this it sure clears things up in a jiffy!:yes:

Thank you. how would any of you feel if you were outside on a beautiful day watering your yard or some other activity in your yard and they pulled up and asked for your ID and went through a lengthy process of verifying that you are the land owner all the while your neighbors stare wondering if your a serial killer or something and then it happens again next week by a different cop... does that sound like their job to you?

The question you should have asked was....Did someone make a complaint...?? If yes, she had legal obligation to be there...If not, I don't know what would have brought her there, you do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom